Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

The "Does my voice pass?" thread

Started by Isabelle, September 19, 2012, 02:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stranger

I know my name can confuse things, but I just love how in the upper left of the forums it says "Hello Stranger".

Thanks for the feedback Ms. OBrien! My voice progress has been like a see-saw: too low, then too high, then too low, then too high :)
Out of curiosity, do you have any thoughts about the lower pitched sample I posted just before? https://soundcloud.com/user90683091/voice
  •  

Ms. OBrien CVT

There you go, Stranger.  Much better.  Not quite as high, much more fluid.

It does not take courage or bravery to change your gender.  It takes fear of living one more day in the wrong one.~me
  •  

katiew88

Thanks for the feedback everyone.  I've been trying to practice but it can definitely get a bit discouraging.  I think i've been reverting back to my old voice at school and no one seems to be making a fuss about it.  So i'm not sure if people know and don't care or if they really are clueless about my original gender.  In any case this is another clip of how I sound.  Not really sure if i've improved at all from my earlier clip...
https://soundcloud.com/user831092101/audio-recording-on-saturday-2
  •  

Seras

Trying to work on my resonance some.

I found a little trick on the net it seems to work a bit I think, moving up the vibration from my chest to higher up in my throat. However I need to practice it a lot more. Anyway it would be nice if anyone could give this a little listen and let me know if it sounds any better than my previous sound clips in terms of resonance. Since I do not want to be barking up the wrong tree.

https://soundcloud.com/olivia1988-1/sets/day-14ish/s-cFrDT

Here is my previous for comparison:

https://soundcloud.com/olivia1988-1/1-3-day-7-late-attempt2/s-XGoXa

I think it sounds a bit better to me but I find it hard to judge myself.

PS Be warned the trick I learned is involving a weird cartoon voice which is present in the first track of that set :P
  •  

Ms. OBrien CVT

much better, Seras.  Now you sound like a woman.

It does not take courage or bravery to change your gender.  It takes fear of living one more day in the wrong one.~me
  •  

Seras

Awesome. Thanks!

I will keep practicing and hopefully I will get it so I can keep it solid :)
  •  

Seras

Here you go, first attempt for me when I played it back was shocking. Since then I have been practicing trying to figure out how to do it at will. Which makes it harder to do I think but necessary if you want to figure it out fully. I suggest at first saying it along with the recording while also recording yourself. Or at least that is what I found easiest,

It feels kinda different in your throat when you use it. Maybe like a cone of sound above your voice box is a good description.

http://jackie1677.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/section-4c-finding-your-female.html
  •  

Sybil

Stranger,

I feel that the criticism over your voice being too high or too low may be a misinterpretation of resonance as pitch. Both your medium and high pitches sound normal to me now that I've had a chance to compare them.

Raising the pitch in your voice seemed to force you to heighten the bottom line of your resonance. This was the same issue I had -- resonance was my biggest problem, and I had a difficult time discerning what it was in the beginning because I hadn't developed a good pitch range. You seem to be able to change your pitch very freely and that's wonderful. Resonance is all about technique as opposed to practice (as is the case with pitch); I would spend a lot more time on resonance. What you said about voice being a cone at the top of your vocal cords is exactly what I experience, too, so I think you're definitely on the right track.

Paige,

Yep! Pushing your voice up above your throat is really helpful, though it takes some getting used to. As Stranger said, it helps to think of your voice as a cone that originates above your throat.

Jen,

I think your voice is just fine!

Seras,

I think your latest clip is much better. You really seem to be on the right track.

Katie,

When you hit high notes/pitches, I feel your voice sounds more passable than when you hit low notes/pitches. Have you tried examining what it is you're doing when you hit high notes and applying some of that to your low notes? I know it's been stated several times in this thread, but I'd like to suggest that you try and tuck the entirety of your voice into your mouth and try to originate it from the back, just above your throat.
Why do I always write such incredibly long posts?
  •  

Keaira

Quote from: Seras on January 13, 2013, 08:37:11 AM

Keaira, your the opposite. Your pitch is too low, also as I have said before I am noob at this voice stuff having only just dedicated myself to it a week ago but the resonance does not sound so good to me either. You tried working through Andrea James online consult videos? That is how I made the above recording. My regular voice is a bass but I can now pull a steady mid range tenor low range alto at about 200-220hz. Even if the other aspects need work.

Amazingly, I can get a Ma'am every time. ^_^
  •  

sam79

I really need some help with the resonance in my voice... ( relinked )

http://soundcloud.com/samc79/voice3

As per the last sample, I've got good control over breathy-ness and pitch, all of course for naught without control over resonance. My voice has not changed significantly since the last sample, except that it's getting much easier to keep the pitch a bit higher for longer periods of time.

I also tried Seras' trick... didn't seem to work for me. The best I can do so far is to really 'HAAA' what I'm saying as per the "Finding your female voice" DVD. That really really breathy speech results in the most non-male sound I seem to be able to make. I gather my voice is very pinched at that time, and I can feel muscles in my neck quite tense. I just can't isolate specifically what it is which eliminates the male sound in my voice.
  •  

Seras

You used the video right Sam? Tried saying it along with it? For me just doing the old guy voice was hard without listening at the same time. Maybe I am just lucky but that video really clicked with me.
  •  

Sybil

girl you look fierce,

You've seriously got nothing to worry about. I think you sound awesome.
Why do I always write such incredibly long posts?
  •  

BunnyBee

Quote from: girl you look fierce on January 21, 2013, 01:09:56 PM
I am gonna post my voice again cause lately I'm not sure about it and wondering if I need to like actually practice it and learn more stuff?  I checked and the formants are p similar to an audiobook I have that's read by a girl... but is it just me who thinks my voice sounds a little weird or does it actually?

https://soundcloud.com/user963959415/12113-1

(I was reading from an Ikea catalog lol)

You sound great :)
  •  

Jamie D

I am gonna post my voice again cause lately I'm not sure about it and wondering if I need to like actually practice it and learn more stuff?  I checked and the formants are p similar to an audiobook I have that's read by a girl... but is it just me who thinks my voice sounds a little weird or does it actually?

You have nothing, nada, zero, zilch, to worry about.

Your voice is, well ... pretty.
  •  

sylvannus

You sound fantastic.
  •  

sylvannus

I started voice training by myself from 3 Dec. Mainly based on some materials from China and Japan. "两声で"(duel-voice) singers are very popular in Asia among the public, and that kind of training is not restricted to TS folks.

I still have no idea of the resonance for English. I can mimic your words, but actually I am using a resonance mode that is very different, even when in male voice.

Today's exercise:

https://soundcloud.com/user137231406/2013-01-22

Sorry some parts of it are in Mandarin or Wuu Chinese. Just never mind the contents. In fact it is only some random bubbling or poem. I have to practice English, Mandarin, and Wuu Chinese, each having distinct resonance modes... three times of job to do. :-\ 

I am having trouble pronouncing long u (like the 'oo' in 'boot'). Every time I come up with a long u sound, I turn back to male voice, and it will even affect a few of the following syllables.
  •  

sam79

Quote from: Seras on January 21, 2013, 12:30:52 PM
You used the video right Sam? Tried saying it along with it? For me just doing the old guy voice was hard without listening at the same time. Maybe I am just lucky but that video really clicked with me.

I did use the video but couldn't quite follow along.

Tonight though, once I actually stopped and read all the information on that page, then I understood what was being attempted. I've been able to get my throat into that position without going old-miner-mode or falsetto, and WOW. I won't say that I sound female yet, but I certainly have made progress, and don't sound male.  :o

Will upload a recording in a couple of days once I have had time to practice some more.
  •  

sylvannus

Quote from: girl you look fierce on January 22, 2013, 02:25:17 PM
Well obviously I have trouble judging w/ Chinese, especially on the Wuu part but I think your voice is really good aside from a slight thing I'm hearing, which I'm not sure about again cause my ear is best with English, but anyway yeah I think there's a sort of breathiness there, that sounds kind of forced, maybe if you just relax a bit from the point you're at it will be perfect!

Good luck Sylvannus and hope I could help! :)
Thank you for your advice. You are right, I have put too much stress to my voice trying to maintain an unnecessarily high pitch. I will try to focus on the resonance instead.
  •  

Elspeth

Been meaning to record and expose myself to critique for a few days now. Please be kind but truthful and critical.

My first attempt for review and advice.
"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future."
- Sonmi-451 in Cloud Atlas
  •  

sam79

Ok, so I've been playing around today, practising altering different muscles. I've successfully been able to tighten the muscles on the top of my voice box, and this removes just about all resonance. It's actually kinda funny talking like that in my male voice, sounds like I sucked on a deeper-pitch helium balloon ;).

Anyway, after minimal practice, here's a new sample:

http://soundcloud.com/samc79/voice4

I think the pitch is too high, but I can fiddle around with that later.
  •