News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Being tall and buying clothes MTF

Started by EmmaS, September 23, 2012, 10:35:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EmmaS

Hi,

So I have been buying clothes online for now because I don't pass yet as a female since I am just about to start hormones. I have had a couple issues of clothing sizes because I am 6'2. I have taken my measurements correctly and they are 33-29-34, but whenever I get the recommended size for my measurements from a store, the article of clothing is generally not long enough and doesn't fit right, but if I go up a size, then it still doesn't fit properly but the length is generally good then. Am I stuck in this situation and forced to buy clothes from stores that specifically cater to tall girls or what can I do? It is just frustrating because usually when I look at "tall girl clothing" stores and usually the clothing is expensive and I don't think any of it is cute. This also applies to shoes because I am like a size 15 in womens shoes. Any other really tall girls out there with big feet who have any advice? I really appreciate all of your time and hope to hear from you all!

Thank you :)
<3 Emma
  •  

Nathine

Search online for stores that cater to tall girls. There are quite a few. Here are a few that may help
www.simplytall.net
www.Pendelton-usa.com
www.uslongtallsally.com
www.tallwomensclothes.com
  •  

EmmaS

Thank you for the quick reply :)

I think these have really nice clothing but most of the dresses for example are at the 80$-150$ range and at this point in my life I cannot afford that(college student). Do you by any chance know of any cheaper stores like forever 21 for example that sell to tall girls? I know I am being very specific and sorry =/ But I really do appreciate your time and effort, it means a lot to me honestly :)

•  

Sara Murphy

I do know that oldnavy.com has a tall section on their women's clothing page.  It may not be your style but it is another place to peek.  I am 6'1" and the clothes have been good to me.
"What God doesn't give to you, you've got to go and get for yourself."

"The worst thing one can do is not to try, to be aware of what one wants and not give in to it, to spend years in silent hurt wondering if something could have materialized - and never knowing" - David Viscott
  •  

Nathine

You can go to the thrift stores and search for the exact clothing you may see on line. Savers, and Goodwill often have the exact piece at the cheap. You can try it on there, generally no one cares and the dressing rooms are unisex, or take it home.

I find some really excellent designer clothes at Savers. I purchased two exquisite top line gowns that would run over 200 ea, for 12 a piece.

•  

EmmaS

I will definitely check out Old Navy thank you :) I am hopeful since you are the same height as me basically. Hmm I always had bad experiences at Good Will, but you do have a good point since they should have a variety and it is really cheap. Oh and the unisex bathrooms do help as well. I will have to check that out as well. Thank you both :)

<3 Emma
  •  

sandrauk

the problem with being tall is that the length from shoulder to waist is larger in males then females.

One trick is to search mini dress on ebay and then wear it as a top. Something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stunning-Wild-Womens-Tunic-Zebra-Panther-Turtleneck-Jumper-Mini-Dress-FT945-/251129541963?pt=UK_Women_s_Dresses&var=&hash=item3a787cb54b#ht_3659wt_1271

Watch out for strappy tops as you need a long strap so as not to look muscly. Adjustable is best.
  •  

EmmaS

Thank you Sandrauk :) That was very smart and clever, I can look for smaller dresses and then at least find some tops :)

<3 Emma
  •  

jsorter

you can do what I always do, wear tunics.
  •  

JoanneB

My ex was a bit over 5'10 and a size 5. Some 30 years ago she always complained about how clothes fit, especially sleeves. In the post Ally McBeil era a sleeve is too short if it ends at your finger tips. I am 6ft and can wear a size 8. For the most part I do OK with dresses. Tops are 50-50. Some tend to be short in the torso of arm length.

I would never even think about buying clothes on line with the absurd vanity sizing. In theory I should be a 12, yet I wear mostly an 8 or 10. My favorite places to shop are thrift stores. You can find some great deals on great looking outfits. (I have a list of others that want some of my finds )

Tall Girl, like most specialty stores are expensive. Also many never really give key dimensions like sleeve or hem lengths. I find slacks are the worse to fit into. Again my best fitting ones came from thrift stores. At 6'2 I can easily see the situation being far far worse. But depending on your proportions, most clothing items short of slacks may be typical womens or misses. You don't seem to have a big barrel chest and likely not giant shoulders from your measurements.

I am sooooooo thankfull I can squeeze into a size 11 shoe. I just don't it. Just about anything past a size 10 is either ugly or butt ugly. Oh yes, also has at least a 4" heel or more!  Again the specialty shoe stores have not so ugly shoes, all for big $$$$ and again usually the nosebleed heels.

Good deals for both shoes and clothes in "larger" sizes can be found at Fashion Bug. Especially their sales
.          (Pile Driver)  
                    |
                    |
                    ^
(ROCK) ---> ME <--- (HARD PLACE)
  •  

Stephe

Womens clothing sizing is just dumb. I can wear anything from a 10 to 14 depending on the brand and even in the same brand the sizing is all over the place. I am 6' and feel your pain. Most of the time I wear skirts and short sleeves or 3/4 sleeves  so don't have issues. I have womens size 9.5-10 shoes so am lucky there as well. Agreed most of the size 11 and larger shoes I have seen are... well lets just say they are not cute.
  •  

EmmaS

I have been lucky and some stuff has fit me but my arms are also longer than a normal 6'2 person so that hurts. My biggest issue would definitely be shoes....I am a girly girl so I really love heels, but that being said most large ones are ugly, plus i'm 6'2 so that hurts if I appear 6'7 then lol. I wear a size 12.5/13 in mens so roughly a 15 in womens which are hard to find. Currently I own a pair of size 12 heels which are really cute but are very hard to fit into. Thank you guys for your suggestions and thoughts. Once I graduate from college and get a normal job, then the pricing wont be as much of an issue, but in the mean time I just have to look a lot.

Thanks again :)

<3 Emma
  •  

jsorter

Sounds like there is a good business idea of designing cute womens shoes that are bigger than a size 11?
  •  

Tanya

I know the problems you are facing.  Best resource I have come across yet is:
http://www.tallwomen.org/clothes/usa/

•  

JoanneB

Quote from: JENNA S on September 24, 2012, 08:56:41 AM
Sounds like there is a good business idea of designing cute womens shoes that are bigger than a size 11?
I can't see a problem with taking the cute 6-10 shoes and making em in 11 and up.
.          (Pile Driver)  
                    |
                    |
                    ^
(ROCK) ---> ME <--- (HARD PLACE)
  •  

JulieC.

God bless my short parents and their short genes...it makes it easier for me but I still have the problem with my arms being a little to long a lot.   The sizing really is crazy.  All you can do is try things on and hope it fits.  Yeah...I like goodwill too.  If it doesn't work out you're not out a lot of money and you can just donate it back.

"Happiness is not something ready made.  It comes from your own actions" - Dalai Lama
"It always seem impossible until it's done." - Nelson Mandela
  •