Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

De-realization and the Internet

Started by Beth Andrea, September 24, 2012, 11:07:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beth Andrea

I often have de-realization (dr) episodes, sometimes lasting for several days.

They suck.

I've noticed that being on the Internet during these times will exacerbate the symptoms, and make it more difficult to "ground" myself in reality, and while in this state, I find it very difficult to simply walk away from the computer.

I know some people feel like the Internet (esp chat rooms, message boards, etc) is "just like real life", but if "real life" seems unreal, then the Net makes things even more unreal.

My hunch is that if someone is in therapy for dr, they should be advised to eliminate, or severely curtail their internet usage. Maybe have a loved one monitor or control access...

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I would like to know if there's complications and/or if you think it'd work or whatever.

Thanks!

...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

--read in a Tessa James post 1/16/2017
  •  

Annah

Quote from: Abracadabra on September 24, 2012, 12:13:20 PM
I get this when looking too long at an avatar that is not me.

It's why I changed back again...

that's exactly why i have my own face up as an avatar
  •  

Beth Andrea

That sounds like a good idea. I'll put Tink on standby (although I just LUV that l'il gal!) and use my darlin' face.

Ummm....if anyone's monitor breaks, it's just because of my awesomeness coming thru...LOL  :-*
...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

--read in a Tessa James post 1/16/2017
  •