Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Portland OR

Started by Beth Andrea, October 02, 2012, 09:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beth Andrea

We went to Portland a weekend or two ago, and I basically fell in love with the city.

I don't really know why, it just "felt" awesome, like there was a good vibe there or something.

I'd like to know more about it, so if anyone has personal knowledge (either first-hand or from friends there, it's ok, just let me know) about the city and area, I'd really like to know.

I already looked it up in Wikipedia, and following one of the links I found out about a tiny, tiny park in Portland...Mill Ends Park.

QuoteMill Ends Park (sometimes mistakenly called Mill's End Park)[1] is a tiny urban park located in the median strip of SW Naito Parkway, approaching esplanade along the Willamette River near SW Taylor Street in downtown Portland, Oregon, United States. The park is a small circle 2 ft (0.61 m) across, with a total area of 452 sq in (0.292 m2). It is the smallest park in the world, according to the Guinness Book of Records, which first granted it this recognition in 1971.[2]

The small circle has featured many unusual items through the decades, including a swimming pool for butterflies—complete with diving board, a horseshoe, a fragment of the Journal building, and a miniature Ferris wheel which was delivered by a full size crane. On St. Patrick's Day, 2001, the park was visited by a tiny leprechaun leaning against his pot of gold and children's drawings of four-leaf clovers and leprechauns.[2] The park continues to be the site of St. Patrick's Day festivities. The events held here include concerts by Clan Macleay Pipe Band, picnics, and rose plantings by the Junior Rose Festival Court.[3]

It's exactly this kind of quirkiness that really gets my girlie going! It is so awesome that there are such characters *somewhere*!

On with the Rave about Portland Party!
...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

--read in a Tessa James post 1/16/2017
  •  

Kitteh Engimeer

I actually love Portland, too. I've been there a few times since we have friends in Oregon. Northwest Oregon in general (as far as I know it) is a really cool place.

Last I went was for the M. C. Escher exhibit at the Portland Art Museum. Awesomeness.
  •  

Ms. OBrien CVT

And now you know why I love living here.  I love OMSI (Oregon Museum of Science and Industry).  Awhile back we had the Body Works Exhibition.  That was amassing.  And of course there is the USS Blueback.

It does not take courage or bravery to change your gender.  It takes fear of living one more day in the wrong one.~me
  •  

sigmafan

Beth, Voodoo Doughnuts is an amazing place to grab good food.  Downtown in general is good from the one time I was there.  There are other good places as well that Ms. Obrien and the rest of the POrtland Contingent can let you in on.
  •  

Ms. OBrien CVT

Food Carts
Microbreweries
Clackamas Town Center
Lloyd Center
The Oregon Zoo
Darcelle's

It does not take courage or bravery to change your gender.  It takes fear of living one more day in the wrong one.~me
  •  

Ms. OBrien CVT

And of course:
Madeline
Miharu Barbie
Felix
and ME! 

•  

tekla

On the other hand there is the jobs, jobs, jobs deal, and they can be hard to come by (at least the ones that provide a decent standard of living) in Portland.  The economy has been depressed there for a long time now, and shows little improvement.  Everyone I know who left Portland left because they just could not support themselves there.

FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Michelle G

I love Portland! It's always been the goofy stepsister to Seattle and they don't mind at all ;)

Concerts at the Roseland! A rockin' New Year's Eve on the bouncing floor at the Crystal Ballroom, voodoo donuts mmmmm, uh..."Mary's Place"  :angel:

It's just a great place for a weekend get away no matter where yer from :)
Just a "California Girl" trying to enjoy each sunny day
  •  

MadelineB

Portland's a great place to set aside your fears and just live.

When you set a burden down here, half the time by the time you remember where you left it, you'll find your burden has moved on and is having the time of its life.

Time is circular here and kind of bouncy.
History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.
~Maya Angelou

Personal Blog: Madeline's B-Hive
  •  

Beth Andrea

Quote from: MadelineB on October 03, 2012, 03:00:24 AM
Portland's a great place to set aside your fears and just live.

When you set a burden down here, half the time by the time you remember where you left it, you'll find your burden has moved on and is having the time of its life.

Time is circular here and kind of bouncy.

So...you're saying it's like boobs?
...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

--read in a Tessa James post 1/16/2017
  •  

MadelineB

Quote from: Beth Andrea on October 03, 2012, 07:33:13 AM
So...you're saying it's like boobs?
Well yes I suppose, I find that it is close to my heart, and when I am looking down, it perks me up.
History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.
~Maya Angelou

Personal Blog: Madeline's B-Hive
  •  

barbie

Portland was a memorable city, probably the best one in the US, at least to me. I went there in October 2010.

I purchased Tria laser system there. It was in the bag of the above photo. Tria has been really nice. I have fewer hairs in legs and armpits than my wife.

Barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

gennee

I have read much about Portland and hope to visit. It seems to be a progressive city and acceppting of trans folks. 
Be who you are.
Make a difference by being a difference.   :)

Blog: www.difecta.blogspot.com
  •  

myles

I live in NE Portland and love it. Unemployment/employment can be a bit of an issue, was underemplyed for a few years and am now back up where I should be. As far as general living goes I love it, live in the Alberta Arts district with my wife/partner and three teenage sons. Lots to do for all of us and our varying interests, tons of food options and a very accepting community.
Cheers,
Myles
"A life lived in fear is a life half lived"
  •