Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Real hair or wig?

Started by Joshua_Sarah, September 30, 2012, 08:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lyric

Quote from: Stephe on October 10, 2012, 09:31:18 PM
Boobs are way down the list. Most people don't go around looking at people's chest to gender them.

Speak for yourself :laugh:. I think I do. I suppose it depends, though. Any unusually prominent feature is always noticed.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •  

Stephe

Quote from: Lyric on October 11, 2012, 09:31:39 AM
Speak for yourself :laugh:. I think I do. I suppose it depends, though. Any unusually prominent feature is always noticed.

Again how we gender people is a poor judge of how gender is chosen. People look for things that aren't easily changed, i.e. facial features and voice. There are plenty of small breasted women out there and no one thinks they are a guy. Actually one of the best ways to get clocked is to have large "fake" looking boobs.

It really is the overall look, not some small detail. Very few people go around studying people's hands or their hair line etc to gender them but trans people probably look there first.
  •  

Rita

I am growing my own hair out because well its natural BUT wigs are very nice as well and can be worn as you grow out your hair.

I find many synthetic wigs look more natural and lifelike than  real hair wigs.  Real hair wigs tend to require an obscene amount of maintanence as well.  I mean real hair sometimes does to but wigs can become meh no matter how well you treat them.  Synthetic wigs can be very flowy and unpredictable without the hastle or sometimes dullness or wierdness.
  •  

patstar

Quote from: Seyranna on October 10, 2012, 07:39:47 AM
Hair is not factored in how people gender you BTW.

I'd like to weigh in on this little debate. 

My experience(s) says that unless you are small, quite slight of frame (which I am definitely not), and have an entirely feminine featured face, long or longer hair much more often than not does help considerably; and even some of these petite and pretty featured types have even greater femininity with long hair.

Having said that, for certain rather rare individuals, long hair can be overrated.   However, everything being even close to equal, at least at this point in time in this society, long almost undeniably helps—and is oh so appealing.

And yes, I do happen to be over 40.
Well wishes to all. Patrice
  •  

judithlynn

I agree with Patstar. I have two real hair wigs. One is shortish and I quite like it, but my beauty therapist prefers me in my wig that is much longer with the hair just below my shoulder blades. She says that it makes me look much more feminine. Also interestingly she says  that when looking at me, people would first notice the long hair, then the fact I have no Adams Apple (and therefore must be female), then my colour coronation and natural skin tones from the makeup in my "autumn colours" so leaving not a shadow of doubt that I was female.

Whereas my shorter wig doesnt do that for me. Its a pity as I love the style.

Hugs
JudithLynn
:-*
Hugs

•  

TreyLeeGamer

Since halloween is coming up (unless your country doesn't have it), a lot of stores are selling cheap wigs. I went to the mall and saw a lot of wings in both natural and unnatural colors. You might want to buy one now or just after halloween, just to try one out. Youtube has a lot of videos with tips on make cheap wigs look less fake, and how to make your own wig.

and just because it is somewhat related I'll link this video . it's a prank video, but it's also the only reference I have to someone making a wig from their own hair. While there are services that offer making wigs from your real hair, they often mix in other hair (fake or real) since apparently one head of hair isn't enough to make a wig.

A question of my own, I posted a different thread about it but I don't think it would be a harm to ask here. What are the normal price ranges of wigs? I saw some shoulder length wigs (in a wig store, not halloween wigs) that were selling from $13 to $17.
We have only one lifetime to be ourself.
  •  

Lyric

Quote from: judithlynn on October 11, 2012, 07:36:18 PM...beauty therapist...

What a great concept. I've never heard that term. I think most of could use one of those.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •  

Silas.

I do both. I mostly just use my real hair and have that cut and colored to my desire. But some days I just like to wear a funky wig or cosplay for events.

being a FtM, I have my hair super short, but due to the fact that I am not out yet along with lack of desire for personal drama, I have lots of female wigs for family situations to make myself what my parents call "presentable"

+ hell, Wigs are fun! Its always fun to mix it up now and then.
--Silas.E
--Transqueer--
  •  

Annah

Notice how most people recommending wigs are over 40yrs old.

Hair is not factored in how people gender you BTW.
Oh yes it is.

It's in the top three of someone getting clocked

1. Facial Appearance
2. Voice
3. Hair
  •  

Ave

Notice how most people recommending wigs are over 40yrs old.

Hair is not factored in how people gender you BTW. Of course if you're balding real bad it'll come off as a manly feature but provided your hair is full it doesn't matter if you have long hair or not. It's a myth from the trans world. Back when I started transition I had around 1 inch of hair( had a buzz cut 2-3 months prior) I was sure I'd need a wig but then I was systematically mam'ed at work because of body language and facial expressions. So yes I was lucky to pass well pre-HRT but it also made me realize that hair is severely overrated in passability.

^This. Most people at my college read me as female at first despite presenting like a regular guy, and I have really short hair O.o. It's not just hair, it's voice, body, and sometimes some people are just really lucky.

However, your own long hair can help give you a feminine "check" in your column if you struggle with the above.
I can see me
I can see you
Are you me?
Or am I you?
  •  

SilentArchitect

Quote from: Joshua_Sarah on September 30, 2012, 08:18:01 PM
I didn't see this on the search so I hope I didn't miss it, and yes I know you can get wigs made with real hair :P. I was just curious to see how many people here decided to use wigs, is it more common in the younger years? maybe those first starting out transitioning? There are some really nice looks for shorts hair but I've been looking at getting a wig, something about shoulder length and a lighter brown than my actual hair colour. How about everyone else, if you do use one what length and colour do you prefer? or do you keep a couple depending on your mood? I look forward to seeing what others respond.

You can't beat your own 'real' hair, especially if your after a 'natural' look.

If you can grow it, use products that give your hair a thicker look. There are brands on the market to achieve
this i.e. hair density products.
I talk mostly about my transition (m2f). I also give answers on my videos to questions I think others may want to know. The more awareness raised the better right? ;0)

I also write songs around my experiences, I suppose doing videos and songwriting helps me channel my emotions xxx

BTW I'm a Yorkshire lass ;0)

http://www.youtube.com/user/aerishoulihan
  •  

leareed

<------------ wearing a wig.

I wear a wig because my hair is very short because of my ethnicity so it's very coarse and thick, it's the same equivalent to African American hair so I just wear wigs and I also wear sewn-in weaves, just like many African American girls do! :P
"I don't care what you think about me...I don't think about you at all." -Coco Chanel
  •