Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

My update for "Well, I screwed up and outed myself"

Started by kathy bottoms, October 30, 2012, 12:59:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kathy bottoms

My cousin and another good friend took my wife, son and me out to dinner tonight.  After eating we got away from the others for a few minutes and stepped outside to talk.  He had read my email, and said he can't fully grasp how difficult it must be to come out after so many years, and that he fully supports me.  So the email, and what he knows about me will be kept in confidence.   I'm so surpised that he already decided how to respond to any questions that he gets in the future, and he only wants to say "Unless we live through what Joe is living through now, we'll never understand."  He said he can't imagine how he would deal with the way my life will change, and hopes for the best, but he knows it's going to go very badly in Michigan.  We talked a short time longer, and everything he said was honest but supportive.  I was almost crying, but he chuckled and said it was too cold outside for either of us to cry.  So we both laughed instead, hugged, and returned to the restaurant. 

I already thought he was a fantastic friend and relative, but tonight I found out he's the most wonderful and loving person I've ever kown. 

So even though he can't read this.  Thank you my dear cousin, I love you.

Kathy
  •  

MadelineB

That's wonderful Kathy. I'm glad your accidental sending turned out to be a blessing. I hope you receive many more wonderful welcomes for the truer you. 
History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.
~Maya Angelou

Personal Blog: Madeline's B-Hive
  •  

Cindy

•  

Beverly

Quote from: kathy b on October 30, 2012, 12:59:44 AM
He had read my email, and said he can't fully grasp how difficult it must be to come out after so many years, and that he fully supports me.  So the email, and what he knows about me will be kept in confidence.
You never can tell how people are going to take it, so I am really happy for you that he took it so well. My 87 year old mother-in-law did not even blink an eyelid. She just said 'We are a family and we will get through this together' and started calling me Beverley straight away without hesitation. Surprised me no end...

Quote from: kathy b on October 30, 2012, 12:59:44 AMI'm so surpised that he already decided how to respond to any questions that he gets in the future, and he only wants to say "Unless we live through what Joe is living through now, we'll never understand."  He said he can't imagine how he would deal with the way my life will change, and hopes for the best, but he knows it's going to go very badly in Michigan.
That is why I sent everyone a letter. It gives them time to think and respond. If you just tell people to their face they are dumbfounded and then embarrassed and then they might become angry.

Quote from: kathy b on October 30, 2012, 12:59:44 AMI already thought he was a fantastic friend and relative, but tonight I found out he's the most wonderful and loving person I've ever kown. 

:)

And these are for you Kathy   {{hugs}} 

•  

justmeinoz

"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

Zoey

•  

AngelRose

I'm glad to hear that hun, its always fantastic when you get someone, especially in your own family to be on your side ^,^
  •  

RosieD

I'm very, very happy that it turned out well for you Kathy.  It's lovely to know that your cousin has enough respect for you see things from your point of view.

I've been struck by this in the similar reaction I've had from my family as I broke the news to them.  Every one of them has focused on how horrible it was for me wearing the mask and is glad that I've had the gumption to stop wearing it.  I very much hope that you get a similar reaction and that other members of your family think of you firstly as the person they know and love, who will need their help and support as you take on the challenges of realigning the outside with the inside.

Love,

Rosie
Well that was fun! What's next?
  •  

kathy bottoms

Thank you girls.  The consequences of my mistakes are sometimes overwhelming, but not this time.

Hugs, Kathy
  •