No More 'Lying': Law Bolsters Transgender Argentines

Started by Shana A, October 02, 2012, 07:59:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shana A

No More 'Lying': Law Bolsters Transgender Argentines

by Annie Murphy
All Things Considered
October 1, 2012

http://www.npr.org/2012/10/01/162100680/no-more-lying-law-bolsters-transgender-argentines

Mateo Solares came to Argentina from Bolivia a few years ago. The 25-year-old was born, and grew up as, Moyra Veronica. Biologically female, Solares says he always felt like a guy.

The main reason Solares moved to Argentina is because it seemed like an easier place to transition into a life as a young man. He says having an ID card that reflects how he sees himself is huge.

"Before, it felt terrible to see documents that didn't identify me as me," says Solares. "And those documents make you feel afraid. If I had to buy anything, I'd only do it if I could pay in cash, because if I paid with a credit card I'd have to show my ID. ... It was like I was lying. It was horrible."

In other countries, like Bolivia, changing your name and gender on ID cards often requires medical procedures or making a case before a judge, and it can take years. But in Argentina, because of the new gender law, the change is simple and takes only 15 days. Under the law, if a person wants to have a medical procedure, like gender reassignment, the health care system will cover it.
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•