Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

'Social shame' heightens transgender suicide

Started by MadelineB, October 24, 2012, 11:30:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadelineB

'Social shame' heightens transgender suicide
Recent Ontario study of transgender health issues points to alarming trend
CBC News
Posted: Oct 23, 2012 3:45 PM ET Last Updated: Oct 23, 2012 3:42 PM ET

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/story/2012/10/23/sby-transgender-series-2.html

"It's higher than any other group that I've seen research on," said the epidemiologist, who's part of a team working on Ontario's first and only comprehensive study into transgender health.

"We've found that 43 per cent of trans people had attempted suicide at some point in their life and 10 per cent in the last year."

If Bauer and the TransPulse team are in the right ballpark with estimated trans-population numbers for Ontario, that means about 2,000 people in the north alone have attempted suicide at some point — and about 480 in the last year.

Bauer noted survey respondents aren't suicidal because they're transgender; rather, it's the social shame and isolation that gets to them.

"If we want to try and reduce those official suicide rates, we've got to really get creating more acceptance, more tolerance," Kinsman said.
History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.
~Maya Angelou

Personal Blog: Madeline's B-Hive
  •  

Kelly J. P.

Oh look, mainstream news is actually posting something new, exciting, ground-breaking, and completely unthought-of.

Faith in humanity level*: 4

(Faith in humanity is a rating system designed to promote international awareness of the global population's average level of optimism regarding the destiny and goodwill of mankind. The numbers rank from zero to one-million, where zero indicates there is a statistically insignificant number of people who believe mankind has any redeemable qualities, and where one-million indicates that almost no one believes humanity can fail or falter. Statistics are completely accurate and reliable at all times, and in no way are they unscientific or made-up.)
  •  

Green_Tony

You know, this is exactly the sort of thing we (the trans* community) have been talking about and dealing with for years and it's not been taken seriously by cis people in power. It's kind of irritating how we need privileged people to "prove" this "objectively" so that they'll finally believe it and maybe consider starting to do something about the fact that so many of them think we're scary and gross.
Something went a bit wonky with space and time. Now I'm here.
  •  

ChaoticTribe

I feel two ways about this topic. First of all, I completely agree that for many people, the views of society may be a massive player in whether they are suicidal or not, and it is despicable that we are allowing and overlooking the hatred and misinformation feeding negative views of transgender people. I seriously believe that we need more awareness and education to help move things in the right direction. It won't be easy and it will take a very long time. Social stigma is still directed at homosexuals, but their civil rights have come a very long way, and the rights of transgendered people can as well. It won't solve everything, but it will help.

There is a different side to the story though, but one which would be extremely hard to do any research on, as it involves those who do not accept themselves as transgender and possibly do not even accept themselves as different. Much self-harm and negative thoughts may be related to not yet seeing or accepting one's gender identity.

For example I have accepted myself as a transgender person, and accepted the fact that I am male and that being born female was a problem but one that I am overcoming. Now that I have accepted that, I really don't feel the sadness or hurt or anger that I did before. It outrages me when cisgender people spew anti-trans nonsense and the discrimination bothers me, but as a whole I have become a content and happy person.

Before I was trans, it wasn't impacting me directly what others thought of transgender people. That wasn't on my mind. As a teenager, plenty of other negative things were, though.

I used to under-eat. I was never anorexic, but I would be considered normal in comparison to many of the Eastern European and Russian women, which are usually very very skinny and many American women would label them as much too thin. I liked not having curves, being able to see my ribs and collar bone ever so slightly. My doctor didn't mind me at that weight, but he did not want me to get skinnier. I now realize that is because I was disturbed by and would not accept a female body shape. Androgynous and very thin was not as good as masculine to me, but it was better than looking feminine to me. At the time, I didn't understand why, I just understood that I liked being skinny.

I also got interested in animals a lot. I liked to draw myself as an animal and make up characters. I would even immerse myself in books and video games basically every free moment, rather than interacting a lot with people. The only 'real' thing I liked to do (virtual reality and books being theater of the mind) would be spending time with my pets and concentrating on them. This lead to me spoiling my pets and taking extra good care of them, but it also meant that I was spending time in worlds that weren't real with the books and games, because I didn't want to be present for my life. I didn't realize that 'living like a female' was the problem, I just knew that I preferred the escape.

Unfortunately, there were also times when I would be overcome with sadness. My emotions were haywire and I was under constant stress. Constant and intense. I would get mad easily, sad easily, fall into depression sometimes. Yet I couldn't identify the underlying problem, and yes there were times as a very young person when I felt that I would rather be reincarnated than live the life that I was in, but I couldn't bear the thought of leaving my pets and I couldn't be sure reincarnation was real.

Since coming out as trans and living the life I have always wanted and tried to artificially live in books and games, I have lost all of that hopelessness and craziness. I feel much better, happier, complete. I believe many other struggling teenagers may actually have 'cryptic' clues toward being transgender, yet they themselves may not even understand what is causing their feelings. I hope that someday there will be more ways to help them.
Was falsely diagnosed as a female-to-male transsexual.
I'm just a cisgender female picking up the pieces.
  •  

gennee

I share with people that they have nothing to be ashamed of. We have every right to be as anyone else. It's too bad that society doesn't. We must continue to be who we are and to change the conditions that lead to despair and self loathing.
Be who you are.
Make a difference by being a difference.   :)

Blog: www.difecta.blogspot.com
  •  

Vicky

The statistics there are in the ballpark with Injustice At Every Turn study done in the US and sponsored by the National Center for Transgender Equality.  Looks like the world is getting some numbers, but how many of them wish the actually death statistics hit 99.9% for every try??
I refuse to have a war of wits with a half armed opponent!!

Wiser now about Post Op reality!!
  •  

justmeinoz

How long will it be until Governments actually do something though?
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

Atomic Dunce

A lot of what 'ChaoticTribe' says hit home - mine was a much slower realisation - but I felt a lot of that, and still slowly coming to grips with it.

I suspect that governments aren't going to do anything until we're studied in enough detail to prove we are what we say we are. That requires us making enough noise to attract the attention of 'academics' so we CAN be studied, cooperating with those rather invasive procedures, and educating those that want to ask all sorts of questions (even the really personal ones).  :-\

•  

ChaoticTribe

I agree, Atomic. I would feel happy to participate in any such studies, surveys, etc to provide information to others about transgendered people. The problem is, we usually don't hear about those until they're done.

*inspired to go and look for such things on the internet*
Was falsely diagnosed as a female-to-male transsexual.
I'm just a cisgender female picking up the pieces.
  •  

Joelene9

Also there are the PC police, these self-appointed types that go around and bother the people on the slightest slight of the ethnic, religious and the challenged groups.  They are quick in pointing these things out and letting the party who said these things and the public know.  I seen it on my other forums I belong to, one of them had my blood boiling last night.  However, these same people who are the PC police ignore those who are transgender.  They often look the other way and do nothing while a '>-bleeped-<' gets beat up or insulted in public. 
  This is one of the lack of support we have with the public.  These people have nobody else to hate and get away with it.  This is one of their outlets.  Part of the shame. 

Joelene, definitely not PC, but polite. 
  •  

spacial

Like Atomic, I also like and agree with most of the points made by 'ChaoticTribe'. I'd like to thank you for making those very thoughtful points.

Each element is making progress, but as gennee, vicky, oz and others have made clear, things have a long way to go.

I'm so pleased that 'ChaoticTribe' has pointed this out.
  •