Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Eyeliner woes

Started by Beth Andrea, July 29, 2012, 11:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beth Andrea

So I got some Maybelline liquid eyeliner on a whim...I've always liked the "winged" look but have doubts I could pull it off with my "hooded" eyelids (which make my eyelids look like an uncircumcised penis foreskin  :( )

Anyhow, a couple days ago I was examining my eyes and noticed I had eyelashes! This is a new HRT-related development I think, because 4 months ago I looked and had about 3 hairs on each lid...now it looks like I have a decent set of false eyelashes on, they're so long!

Ooooh...mascara! Now I can actually try it!  Oooooooooh...and if I try mascara, maybe I can try eyeliner, too! (See my thought process here? LOL)

So I watch a ton of videos, try putting liner on my eye (just one, because it proves to be *quite* difficult to get a good straight--and thin--line)...get up, go into the bathroom to "repair" a blob on the outer corner of my eye (my attempt at making a "wing")...and find the liner has dried.

I took my face-cleaner wipes, and wiped...no effect. I scrubbed gently. No effect. After almost 5 minutes alternating vigorous scrubbing, and lightly rubbing, the liner was off. That's a LOT of cleanup effort for not much return. (Damn hooded eyes...)

But, my problem is now, 10 hours later, my eye *still* feels like it has some liner on it. It also looks that way (slightly darker around the edges of the lids than the other, non-lined eye).

What's the secret to removing eyeliner?

Thanks!

:o
...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

--read in a Tessa James post 1/16/2017
  •  

dapplepool

Eyeliner remover! Hehe you need to get some. That's the only way to get it off, otherwise it'll stay on for like 2 days.
  •  

MadelineB

Yep. And the active ingredient in eye makeup remover (essential for all waterproof mascara and waterproof eyeliner) is mineral oil, so in a pinch, I use a cotton ball and some pharmacy quality mineral oil.
History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.
~Maya Angelou

Personal Blog: Madeline's B-Hive
  •  

=celestica=

http://m.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=87231&catid=183591&aid=338666&aparam=87231

Hands down THE best affordable eye makeup remover in existence.
It has two parts in the bottle that are seperated, so you must shakemit before you use it to get it to work.
Me and my best friend use it all the time.
  •  

Cindy

I use Revlon eyemake up remover.

One thing I do suggest, and I have to keep doing it myself. Spend an afternoon practising make up. AFTER you have been to a make up place to show you how to do it. It cost me $80 to do a course for 'young' woman. They were great, very friendly and very helpful. They do half your face then you copy what they did. But you have to practice. I can go back anytime for free advice, they also do my nails and my back waxing,  so I'm treated as a good customer. I've also qualified for  50% discount on a special event red carpet make over. I just need a special event :laugh: Please someone propose, I need to get my make over. Less shallow than a Kardishan marriage :laugh:

OOps
  •  

justmeinoz

I use liquid eyeliner too, as I need reading glasses and the pencils and gels are just hopeless. 

A professional make-up artist told me his technique, which (as long as it's not waterproof) works well for me.
Just put a wide line on so you can get close to the lashes, I stand well back from the mirror so I can actually see my eyelid,  then start wiping the excess off with a wet cotton bud, Q-Tip I believe they are called in the US.
I can do this with my glasses on, so that I can actually see where I am going. 
Removal is a case of using a good eye makeup remover and a wet flannel.

Have fun, Karen.
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

Beth Andrea

Oh ok, "eyeliner remover"....will look into that.

Quote from: dumb bunny on July 29, 2012, 11:56:35 PM
You can try liquid eyemakeup remover, but a few brands aren't that great. I had one once that did well, but I forgot the brand name on it, I think it might have been maybelline.  I've not found those remover pads all that great myself. I don't know your age, but I tend to think winged is best left to the kids and such.

That was my thought once I got it on...I'm high-40's (but have been told by many that I look 35ish). Maybe I just need to get used to it, or put it on right, but I thought it didn't look "right" on me. $10 hooker maybe? LOL....

Thanks!
...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

•  

Eva Marie

This thread makes me think of the time when I been en femme the day before and on the day after I went to the washroom at work and happened to notice a fair amount of eyeliner still present  :o It was early in the morning and no one had seen me yet so a few moments of furious scrubbing with soap and a paper towel saved the day :D That stuff is hard to remove.

Eye makeup remover? Never heard of it - I really need to check into that.
  •  

Miharu Barbie

Quote from: dumb bunny on July 29, 2012, 11:56:35 PM
I don't know your age, but I tend to think winged is best left to the kids and such.

Don't believe it Beth!!!!  I'm 47 years old and do a mild wing with my eyeliner every day, sort of going for an exaggerated almond shape.  People are always commenting on how beautiful my eyes are.  I say forget about trying to be "age appropriate" and take a flying leap for the joy factor!  At 47 my hair is pink and blue and to my waist, my nails are often blue or hot pink and sometimes each nail is a different color, I have a blast with makeup, have a pierced navel and nose, 4 piercings on each ear, a new tattoo over my heart with plans for 2 more tattoos this year, and yes I my eyeliner is winged.  Honestly, I can't think of one good reason to give a hoot about what anyone thinks about me!  I'm a transitioned trans woman, dag-nabbit!  If I cared what people thought about me, I'd still be that miserable introverted man that I once appeared to be long ago.

I highly recommend the MAC Fluidline gel eyeliner.  I find it super easy to work with (I use a Smashbox #13 angled brush), it flows nice and smooth like a liquid liner, takes a minute or 2 to dry, so mistakes are easy to clean up, is long-lasting and smudge proof once it dries, and doesn't require industrial cleaners or power tools to remove... and it lasts forever!  I use it everyday, and a jar seems to last me about 4 or 5 months.

You go girl!  Don't hold your joy back!!!

Peace,
Miharu
Free your mind and your arse will follow

HRT:                         June 1998
Full Time For Good:     November 1998
Never Looking Back:  Now!
  •  

Nicolette

That's bizarre, my post disappeared. When I had to guarantee a make-up free face I used to steam my face for 10 minutes over a bowl of hot under a towel.
  •  

Joann

Having a hard time with eyebrows too. Keep looking like a cross between Dr Zhivago and The black adder... :-\ .
♪♫ You dont look different but you have changed...
I'm looking through you,. Your not the same ♪♫ :)
  •  

Beth Andrea

Quote from: joann on July 30, 2012, 04:18:44 PM
Having a hard time with eyebrows too. Keep looking like a cross between Dr Zhivago and The black adder... :-\ .

You need to get "threaded." Look for an East Indian shop in your area (maybe they'll be at a local mall), they typically do GREAT threading!

(Threading is where they use a couple threads--like sewing threads or floss--and run them over your brows, creating very well trimmed eyebrows. Much better than waxing (although that would be a close 2nd, if you can't find a threading place...look under salons, especially those that cater to the Middle Eastern crowd), and it lasts (for me) about a month and an half.)

$10 is the usual price around here (WA/USA).

Just waltz in and tell 'em you want "beautiful women's eyebrows"...they won't even blink.

Good luck!

•  

Madison Leigh

Quote from: Beth Andrea on July 30, 2012, 05:23:03 PM
You need to get "threaded." Look for an East Indian shop in your area (maybe they'll be at a local mall), they typically do GREAT threading!

(Threading is where they use a couple threads--like sewing threads or floss--and run them over your brows, creating very well trimmed eyebrows. Much better than waxing (although that would be a close 2nd, if you can't find a threading place...look under salons, especially those that cater to the Middle Eastern crowd), and it lasts (for me) about a month and an half.)

$10 is the usual price around here (WA/USA).

Just waltz in and tell 'em you want "beautiful women's eyebrows"...they won't even blink.

Good luck!

Assuming you've had them both done did one hurt worse than the other?

I had mine waxed last week and the waxing really didn't hurt except for a little that didn't want to come off - but I had always heard threading tended to hurt worse so I had avoided that.

Madison
  •  

Beth Andrea

Yup, have done both. Waxing first, then threading.

They hurt about the same, mild discomfort. (ETA: Waxing is basically a single "ZZiiippp!", maybe a smaller second wax, while threading takes about 10 minutes...lots of little efforts, not one big one. Some people prefer a single big pain to several smaller ones, but overall it's about the same) The main difference is that threading is MUCH more precise; they can pull out entire strips of brows, or individual hairs. Waxing has a much broader effect, and sure I thought it was ok, because it was much better than my efforts at plucking LOL....but when I was able to see the results for threading, I was like...

OMG! I'm in love!  ^-^

•  

MadelineB

The electrologist who does my face also zaps my eyebrows, probably works out to two or three minutes a week. It's funny, the eyebrows don't exactly hurt more than other parts of my face, but the wiring is different. Every time a hair is removed, my leg will twitch involuntarily.
History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.
~Maya Angelou

Personal Blog: Madeline's B-Hive
  •  

Apples Mk.II

Quote from: Beth Andrea on July 29, 2012, 11:48:26 PM
but have doubts I could pull it off with my "hooded" eyelids (which make my eyelids look like an uncircumcised penis foreskin  :( )

I keep using the same comparison, but replacing  foreskin with scrotum. If my eyelids looked like my foreskin, It would not be that bad...
  •