Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Resonance, Vocal cord thickness, and Pitch.

Started by Nathine, September 22, 2012, 10:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nathine

There are two points in your life where voices become deeper. The first is at puberty where the male cords thicken slightly, the larynx elongates, and with that the cords stretch. The second is at "male puberty" where there is a further lowering of the voice - age 45  or so. For those who have the pubertal change, it is usually quite possible to obtain a reasonable female voice in tone and timber with speech therapy. For those who have reached the second plateau, not so easy. Usually surgical intervention is necessary in some form to alter the larynx and cords. The mickey mouse voice is much more common at this age. As yet there are no especially great surgeries. Some work for some individuals, others do not. Which one will work for you is the question. The key is to change the pitch, modulation, resonance, and timbre. The larynx needs to be shortened, so crico-thyroid approximation procedures are done. The pitch needs to be changed so the cords are tightened. The timber needs to be changed so the cords may be thinned or webbed. The modulation needs to be changed so the approximation of the cords may need to be adjusted. All these procedures are rarely done together, and not all of them are necessarily needed for the individual.

And after all this there is the how to talk like a female.

The FTM has no problems, T will do the job. Estrogen for the MTF will not reverse the changes from puberty.
  •  

Beverly

Vocal surgery has a bad track record and can damage as much as cure. I know one person who had it and I could not notice any difference at all. At least she was not damaged.

On the other hand I know lots of people who have achieved good voices through practice and effort. I know even more who just do not seem to bother at all.

((shrugs))

Whatever floats your boat I guess....
  •  

Maja.V

I've had a surgery rather recently (two weeks ago), so I'm still very much recovering, but the other day I got a phone call and the person gendered me as female. It's also worth noting I can hit ridiculously high tones now. Can't wait for the healing process to be fully done (in like a month and a bit).

Nathine

Maja who did you have do you surgery and what was done?
  •  

Maja.V

Quote from: Nathine on September 26, 2012, 09:11:18 AM
Maja who did you have do you surgery and what was done?

I've had it done at Yeson Voice Center in South Korea:

http://www.yesonvc.net/disease/feminization_surgery.asp

The operating surgeon is Dr. Kim (cool person), and they have a truly top notch facility. You get what you pay for, and the surgery costs a bit over 7.000$.
They made the vocal cords shorter and thinner, by cutting and sewing a part of them together, resulting in a much higher voice. Resonance doesn't seem to be much of an issue, as my voice, when rested, sounds very feminine.

Beverly

Quote from: JJ on October 24, 2012, 11:10:56 AM
If I could have it done I would seriously consider voice surgery. I'm 40, and after watching many videos and tutorials on the subject I've noticed it's much more difficult for the over 40s to get the voice right.

Difficult, but not impossible. Also you only need to lose the male resonance and push the pitch up a bit. Lots of women have deep voices. The male resonance is what marks you as male more than any other part of your voice.

•