Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

names and education

Started by Edge, October 16, 2012, 06:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edge

I eventually plan on changing my name. I can't yet, but I want to start researching anyway. Right now, I am going to university under my legal name. What happens when I change my name? Will my high school and university transcripts also be changed to my new name?
I will have more questions later. I figure I should just start with this one.
  •  

tgchar21

The answer depends on the institution's policy and when you change it (before, during, or after your period of attendance). If you change it before leaving then your records will at least show your new name (it may or may not show your old name if you used it sometime while attending). Once you leave it's their discretion as to whether or not they'll change the records. Some argue that FERPA would require them to update your records (for public institutions; if the school or college is private then you're basically on your own), but as far as I know there have not been any challenges like that in court.

If you're trying to change your high school records here's a tip that may be helpful.

(This all assumes you're in the U.S.)
  •  

Arch

I wanted to cover all my bases, so I went as far back as high school and tried to change those records. No go. But I changed my name while I was still an undergrad. I went to the records department--I think the registrar--with a copy of my name change. They changed their records, and that was that.

I also went back to an old community college I had attended for a few years quite some time before. The school was quite happy to change my name in their database.

The high school was public, and so were the colleges. FWIW, I think it's easier and better to do the name change before graduation.
"The hammer is my penis." --Captain Hammer

"When all you have is a hammer . . ." --Anonymous carpenter
  •  

tgchar21

Arch: If I'm correct, my suggestion of presenting your amended birth certificate (and not just the name change) to try and change your high school records won't work in your case (because of the way you changed your name you were never able to change your BC). Those of us who like to move away from where you grew up won't like to hear this, but you may have better luck at changing the records if you're still a resident of the school district (since you could use political action like voting out school board members and/or campaigning against bond levies/tax increases to encourage the powers that be to follow through, especially if the area is more open-minded than average). (The same kind of political action could also be used if the district is not letting a student attend school as his/her preferred gender, as I included in a plot of a story I once wrote.)

Colleges and universities depend much more on outside sources for part of their funding than public schools, so they have more of an incentive to look after their alumni. A school district doesn't really care about you once you're graduated and not living within their boundaries.
  •  

Edge

Thanks! Another question: How would a name change affect custody of my son? Like, obviously I'll be the same person, so will I need to go back to court to get the name on the paperwork changed or can I just ask to have it changed? Will it cause me problems if my name is no longer the same?
Also, who can ask about this who would be able to help me out? Like in the legal system or something.
  •  

ToriJo

A lawyer can help you with the details here (and for something as important as custody, I'd definitely try to get their advice).  If you have an T-friendly LGBT group in your town or college, you might ask them for suggestions on enlightened lawyers.  If you are a student, you might have a lawyer available at your college for legal questions students have.
  •  

Arch

Quote from: tgchar21 on October 17, 2012, 08:03:06 AM
Arch: If I'm correct, my suggestion of presenting your amended birth certificate (and not just the name change) to try and change your high school records won't work in your case (because of the way you changed your name you were never able to change your BC).

I asked my old high school what it would take to change my records, and they said they wouldn't do it under any circumstances. It wasn't worth it to me to pursue the matter, and I didn't really care that much about it. I don't care at all now.

It does still rankle that my birth state is so backward that I can't get a proper BC. Right now, it doesn't matter that I did a common usage name change because a court order wouldn't make any difference. Gotta love the South.

BTW, I didn't grow up in South Carolina. I was born there while my father was stationed in Charleston.
"The hammer is my penis." --Captain Hammer

"When all you have is a hammer . . ." --Anonymous carpenter
  •  

Cindy

I'm not sure if this helps or is relevant. I'm an academic with quite a long track record that I need to preserve, so changing my name became quite a topic of discussion among my medical team who know me professionally as well. In the end I decided to feminize my first name so that the initial remains the same. My second name I changed to Cindy and I kept my family name. So, I've ended up with the same initial, so my track record is easy to follow, my feminized first name is very easy for people to use as it doesn't need a great grasp of memory, and my middle name is what my friends use. I'm very comfortable with my first name as well so I don't feel in any way slighted by people using it. It is also interesting that people hear others use Cindy in reference to me and I hear people say, Oh I thought her name was now XXXX, and then I hear the glee in a persons voice as they say, 'Her friends use Cindy, XXXX is her professional name'. Then someone else calls me Cindy - so they can be my friend :laugh:.

I have changed my name on many documents but my understanding is that both my original and new name are legal on signed documents, such as mortgage and such as it was then, my legal name. My Will etc under my male name is still a legal document which would be honoured, so I'm told. But these things seem to vary a lot from place to place.

Of course if you have debts they don't care what your name is, they will still pursue you >:-)

Cindy
  •  

Edge

Another question: In my province, it is currently not possible for me to get my gender marker changed on my ID. Would I be able to ask for a name change even though my ID would still have an F on it or would I have to wait until I can get it changed? In the meantime, what can I do about my name? Can I ask that my university uses it even though it isn't legally changed? Should I ask or should I just let it be for now?
  •  

peky

I had all my grad and undergrad diplomas re-issued with my new name. I also informed them of my new gender. They ask me to send a notiriezed copy of the name change. They did not ask proof of gender change.

Good luck!!!
  •  

tgchar21

Quote from: Edge on October 30, 2012, 05:44:53 PM
Another question: In my province, it is currently not possible for me to get my gender marker changed on my ID. Would I be able to ask for a name change even though my ID would still have an F on it or would I have to wait until I can get it changed? In the meantime, what can I do about my name? Can I ask that my university uses it even though it isn't legally changed? Should I ask or should I just let it be for now?

I don't know how it is there but in the U.S. you can change your name regardless of your gender marker. (That makes an easy defense of appealing an anti-TS's judge's ruling as such a case could set a bad precedent with effects well beyond the trans community, affecting anyone with a baby to name if what is a "male" or "female" name becomes legally defined.) You can ask the university if you can use your "preferred" name but if it's like where I am they aren't required to.
  •  

Dana_H

Quote from: Cindy James on October 18, 2012, 02:42:39 AM
I have changed my name on many documents but my understanding is that both my original and new name are legal on signed documents, such as mortgage and such as it was then, my legal name. My Will etc under my male name is still a legal document which would be honoured, so I'm told. But these things seem to vary a lot from place to place.

Of course if you have debts they don't care what your name is, they will still pursue you >:-)

Indeed. I cannot speak to the problem of changing names on past records as I have not faced that challenge yet. As a business owner, however, I can confirm that, in the US at least, any contract, agreement, or other document that you sign using your legal name at that time remains valid and legally binding even if you later legally change your name to something else. This is in part why you cannot escape your debts by changing your name. ;)

-C
Call me Dana. Call me Cait. Call me Kat. Just don't call me late for dinner.
  •