Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

To carry or ...

Started by peky, November 09, 2012, 01:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peky

...not to carry a firearm

So, depending where you do your "walking" and who you "dance" with, your risk of being assaulted just for being transgender is higher than the average Jane or Joe

So the question has come whether or not we should or should not carry a revolver or a gun for protection.

I was just looking at the FBI state-by state statistics on homicide, and I just could not help but notice that in Virginia, a gun-friendly state, only 30% of the total homicides were committed with a gun; while in Gun-hating Maryland 68% of homicides were committed with a gun.

BTW Virginia had 25% less total homicides than Maryland, 303 vs 398, respectively.

Humm..

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/table-20
  •  

twit

There are more factors at play though than just gun laws. After all, Maryland does have Baltimore...

•  

peky

Quote from: Jaime on November 09, 2012, 01:57:38 PM
There are more factors at play though than just gun laws. After all, Maryland does have Baltimore...

and Virginia has Richmond...so?
  •  

twit

Baltimore has one of the highest violent crime rates in the country.  higher than other cities in other gun hating states. I just don't think its a fair comparison unless you can show real evidence that points to their inability to carry as actually contributing to the problem.

•  

Padma

Quote from: peky on November 09, 2012, 01:52:29 PM
I was just looking at the FBI state-by state statistics on homicide, and I just could not help but notice that in Virginia, a gun-friendly state, only 30% of the total homicides were committed with a gun; while in Gun-hating Maryland 68% of homicides were committed with a gun.

Doesn't this just mean gun-carriers in Virginia are better shots? I mean, what are the figures for wounding rather than killing with guns? Since I assume that carrying a gun for defence implies disabling rather than killing an assailant, wherever possible.
Womandrogyneâ„¢
  •  

peky

Quote from: Jaime on November 09, 2012, 02:19:12 PM
Baltimore has one of the highest violent crime rates in the country.  higher than other cities in other gun hating states. I just don't think its a fair comparison unless you can show real evidence that points to their inability to carry as actually contributing to the problem.

I wonder what Chrissy Lee Polis would say?
  •  

Beth Andrea

Quote from: Jaime on November 09, 2012, 01:57:38 PM

Indeed.

I found a more direct correlation about crime in general, and violence in particular, by compiling the FBI numbers by state, with the Census Bureau's numbers on race by state.

I know that's sacriligious, but there it is.
...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

--read in a Tessa James post 1/16/2017
  •  

twit

Quote from: Beth Andrea on November 09, 2012, 02:40:24 PM
Indeed.

I found a more direct correlation about crime in general, and violence in particular, by compiling the FBI numbers by state, with the Census Bureau's numbers on race by state.

I know that's sacriligious, but there it is.
Its the reality of it, unfortunately.
  •  

twit

Quote from: peky on November 09, 2012, 02:36:08 PM
I wonder what Chrissy Lee Polis would say?
She'd likely still be sitting in jail awaiting trial if she had had a gun and used it or be dead herself. I don't think any good would have come of it either way.

•  

AngieT

Violence against us is real.  In fact violence against anyone is real.  The police aren't always there to protect us, so it's our responsibility to protect ourselves. 

A good self defense course is certainly an awesome place to begin, but some of us prefer to assure our safety and the safety of our loved ones through lawful carrying of firearms.  i.e. getting a state issued concealed carry permit

I carry a S&W TAC40 9mm in my purse.  I've never had to use it, and I sincerely pray that I never need to brandish it, but I feel a lot safer knowing that I can protect myself if required.

•  

Ms. OBrien CVT

Personally I hate guns.  People are more likely to be harmed with their own weapon.

It does not take courage or bravery to change your gender.  It takes fear of living one more day in the wrong one.~me
  •  

AngieT

Quote from: Ms. OBrien on November 09, 2012, 11:23:18 PM
Personally I hate guns.  People are more likely to be harmed with their own weapon.

Responsible ownership is the key.  Knowing how to use it when necessary.  If you're unable to retain control of your firearm, then a firearm may not be a very prudent form of self defense for you.  If criminals know you're armed, however, the chances of them assaulting you are greatly diminished.

Firearms aren't always bad.  A few years ago I detected someone outside my apartment, playing with the door knob at 3am.  I called 911, and with the operator on the phone I shouted to the person outside, "If you touch that door knob again, I'll shoot your _____ through this door."  I then LOUDLY chambered a round in my Mossberg 12ga.  The "clack" of a shot shell being chambered is unmistakeable, and echoed through the complex.  Not only did the person trip over himself trying to run away as fast as possible, but the police response time really was amazingly fast.   

•