Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Convertng Shoe Sizes

Started by Wynternight, October 17, 2012, 10:41:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wynternight

I've looked online for a guide to converting shoe sizes from men to women's shoe sizes and all I seem to find are the reverse or international conversions. Can someone please help me figure out my size in a woman's shoe? I wear a 10-10.5 in US men's.
Stooping down, dipping my wings, I came into the darkly-splendid abodes. There, in that formless abyss was I made a partaker of the Mysteries Averse. LIBER CORDIS CINCTI SERPENTE-11;4

HRT- 31 August, 2014
FT - 7 Sep, 2016
VFS- 19 October, 2016
FFS/BA - 28 Feb, 2018
SRS - 31 Oct 2018
  •  

Brooke777

Quote from: Wynternight on October 17, 2012, 10:41:03 AM
I've looked online for a guide to converting shoe sizes from men to women's shoe sizes and all I seem to find are the reverse or international conversions. Can someone please help me figure out my size in a woman's shoe? I wear a 10-10.5 in US men's.

Generally, the best way is to go to a store and try on some shoes. But, if you are not up for that you could add two sizes to your own. That would make you around a 12 in women's sizes.  Good luck.
  •  

Wynternight

Quote from: Brooke777 on October 17, 2012, 10:45:00 AM
Generally, the best way is to go to a store and try on some shoes. But, if you are not up for that you could add two sizes to your own. That would make you around a 12 in women's sizes.  Good luck.

Thank you. :)
Stooping down, dipping my wings, I came into the darkly-splendid abodes. There, in that formless abyss was I made a partaker of the Mysteries Averse. LIBER CORDIS CINCTI SERPENTE-11;4

HRT- 31 August, 2014
FT - 7 Sep, 2016
VFS- 19 October, 2016
FFS/BA - 28 Feb, 2018
SRS - 31 Oct 2018
  •  

Anteros

Compare the euro sizes. 40 = 40, although women's lasts tend to be narrower.
  •  

Ms. OBrien CVT

It does not take courage or bravery to change your gender.  It takes fear of living one more day in the wrong one.~me
  •  

Shantel

Quote from: Ms. OBrien on October 17, 2012, 07:02:20 PM
Try here, International Shoe Size Conversion Charts

I usually realistically figure two sizes up for women's from the mens size. Then sizes may very from one manufacturer to another.
  •  

Maddie

You can't trust sizes.

The really comfy Skechers ballet flats I'm wearing at the moment are a US 11 and measure 270mm along the inside. There's a pair of Zara bluchers in my shoe cabinet that also measure 270mm and are marked Euro size 41, but they're so agonisingly tight, I can barely get them on. Other size 41 pairs fit me perfectly. Apparently, if you buy a pair made in Italy, their supposedly EU-compliant size 41 is closer to a 40, I wouldn't be able to wear those, at all.

Your best bet is to measure the insole of a shoe that fits, and take a tape measure with you when you go shoe shopping. Online, there are sellers who list measurements in the item description. I prefer to buy from to those, rather than gamble.

And bear in mind whether you're going to be wearing socks in them, or not. Most men tend to wear tennis socks with trainers whereas a lot of women wear considerably thinner socks, if any, so even if it's a unisex shoe, the actual foot sizes it'll accommodate will differ across gender labels.

Nice to have another Nephilim fan on here. Hi. :)
Xi dingir anna kanpa, Xi dingir kia kanpa...
  •  

Wynternight

Quote from: Maddie on October 19, 2012, 06:18:15 AM
You can't trust sizes.

The really comfy Skechers ballet flats I'm wearing at the moment are a US 11 and measure 270mm along the inside. There's a pair of Zara bluchers in my shoe cabinet that also measure 270mm and are marked Euro size 41, but they're so agonisingly tight, I can barely get them on. Other size 41 pairs fit me perfectly. Apparently, if you buy a pair made in Italy, their supposedly EU-compliant size 41 is closer to a 40, I wouldn't be able to wear those, at all.

Your best bet is to measure the insole of a shoe that fits, and take a tape measure with you when you go shoe shopping. Online, there are sellers who list measurements in the item description. I prefer to buy from to those, rather than gamble.

And bear in mind whether you're going to be wearing socks in them, or not. Most men tend to wear tennis socks with trainers whereas a lot of women wear considerably thinner socks, if any, so even if it's a unisex shoe, the actual foot sizes it'll accommodate will differ across gender labels.

Nice to have another Nephilim fan on here. Hi. :)
Xi dingir anna kanpa, Xi dingir kia kanpa...

Thank you, Maddie. I'll bear all of that in mind when I start buying shoes (which is likely to be soon as I need some running shoes. Might as well make my first pair of women's shoes be running shoes, symbolic of a new start).

Oooo...Psychonaut, great song, one of my favourites!! Always nice to meet another fan of the greatest band ever. :D

HRT- 31 August, 2014
FT - 7 Sep, 2016
VFS- 19 October, 2016
FFS/BA - 28 Feb, 2018
SRS - 31 Oct 2018
  •  

Lyric

Quote from: Maddie on October 19, 2012, 06:18:15 AM
You can't trust sizes.

You can't trust women's sizes, for that matter. When I started buying women's shoes back in the '80s you could just add one size number to men's sizes. Now, as seen above, it's sometimes 2 sizes. There's two factors at play here. Once is that quality control in shoe and garment manufacturing has become so poor that sizes vary even within the same brand/model. The other is that manufacturers have deliberately changed size numbers on shoes and clothing to flatter (or not insult) their literally growing average weight of their customers.

I heard recently that today's size 2 dress would be something like a 10 fifty years ago. You know they're screwing around with shoe sizes, too. Forget sizes and just try them on at the store. That's really the only way to get a sure fit.

~ Lyric ~
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •  

Shantel

Quote from: Lyric on October 19, 2012, 09:21:28 AM
YThe other is that manufacturers have deliberately changed size numbers on shoes and clothing to flatter (or not insult) their literally growing average weight of their customers.

I heard recently that today's size 2 dress would be something like a 10 fifty years ago. You know they're screwing around with shoe sizes, too. Forget sizes and just try them on at the store. That's really the only way to get a sure fit.

~ Lyric ~

You're on to something that I have observed recently too concerning manufacturers attempts at flattering their customer base. I've bought women's tops from different suppliers, both supposedly the same size but the differences have been so dramatic that I had thought one had been mis-labled and should have been in the tent and awning department, but it turned out that the manufacturer was cribbing on sizing just as you suggest. Though I'm not too surprised because of the rather stunning increase in the number of morbidly obese women I'm noticing as of late.
  •  

Anteros

It's not that simple, because a size 2 or a size 10 can mean different things according to which convention is being followed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_standard_clothing_size#Women.27s_sizes
eight tables and actually they still haven't covered all permutations of sizing.
  •  

Lyric

Quote from: Anteros on November 05, 2012, 09:42:33 PMIt's not that simple...

True. Nothing about women's clothing sizing is simple!
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •  

Shelly-Joe

Thanks so much Sis I never knew, "Skechers" made ballet flats, I love'em especially if their cute & fun.
  •