Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

BBC Sherlock?

Started by Callum, November 20, 2011, 09:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callum

Seeing as there's a bunch of Doctor Who fans, I was wondering if anyone's seen the BBC's Sherlock. It'd be nice to find some fellow Sherlock fans.

If anyone's found this thread that hasn't seen the show, it's Sherlock Holmes updated to the 21st century. It's absolutely fantastic, particularly the writing/acting.

Any Sherlock Holmes fans in general are great as well. I'm a big fan of the Jeremy Brett Granada series, but that's even less well-known than this already-somewhat-obscure show.  ;D
  •  

Cassie

I love Sherlock! Any idea when the next three are being screened? It was supposed to be this autumn but I haven't seen anything about it.

The Jeremy Brett version will always be the best I think. There isn't really much room for improvement. I do think the new version is appropriate though as when it was written SH was bang up to date so re-writing Holmes for the modern world is a great idea and nicely atmospheric as well.
  •  

Callum

The official date hasn't been announced yet, but it's expected to air early 2012 in the UK. It's definitely airing in May 2012 in the US, but I don't feel like waiting that long, so I'll find a livestream when it airs or something.  ;D

I think post-production is ending some time this week. Then they'll be able to deliver the episodes to the BBC so the air date can be organized.

Jeremy Brett really is fantastic. His portrayal of SH was by far the most accurate (in terms of the books) out of any adaptation I've seen. I have to say, though, Mark Gatiss's Mycroft is definitely my favorite, even if it isn't that accurate.  :D
  •  

Princess Rachel

apparently Stephen Fry is playing Mycroft in the new Holmes movie, in answer to the topic though I do love Sherlock, it's a very interesting way to put a modern spin on the character and yet keep something of the past about him too.

•  

Princess Rachel

tonight's episode was good, very good, I was somewhat lust overloaded when Benendict and Lara were in any scene together, although I think Lara and her riding crop just peaked into first place  >:-)  I already have the bluray on pre-order and I'm really looking forward to next week's episode...

•  

Princess Rachel

Houds was good, the location shoot really helped and the 'morse code' sequence was so funny when Watson found out what it REALLY was!  The ending was a little sudden but then the final scene was so delectible and looks to set up the final installment perfectly.  I really hope there's a third season but with the two leads both busy on The Hobbit it looks unlikely it'll happen soon :(

•  

Cindy

We have just started seeing in in Australia I think it is excellent. Very clever adaptation.

There is also a new book out.
The House of Silk, by Anthony Horowitz. Which is a good Sherlock novel by a good writer.
  •  

Pippa

They're talking about another set of three but I think it will be a while before it happens.  Both leads doing the Hobbit and Mr Cumberbatch is the baddie in the next Star Trek Film.  Stephen Moffat is back on Dr Who duty (which is gearing up for the 50th anniversary next year), so he is probably going to be pretty busy as well.
  •  

Ian

But at least it'll be happening! I've heard guesses that they'll start filming in late 2012.
  •  

Princess Rachel

I'm still not sure what I think about Fall, it has to be the coldest Sherlock's ever been, and the plots within plots face down with Jim on the roof, it needs a rewatch to go back and see the clues with the benefit of hindsight...

•  

Kreuzfidel

My wife and I are huge Sherlock fans.  It's the best thing ontelly.
  •  

Cindy

I was in a bottle shop on Thursday night and chatting to the guy behind the counter, we chat regularly. We got onto Sherlock that had been on on Weds night our time, suddenly there were half a dozen people discussing it. All positive. It was fun :laugh: So many had the same comment. Only reason I put the telly on. Mmmm
  •  

CorrieK

Gosh I love this show. Benedict is one of the few men I have ever been attracted to.
  •  

justmeinoz

Synchronicity. I was talking to a friend about it today.  ???
I love the zoom lens eye effect. It really gives a feel for his powers of observation.

Karen.
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

RagingShadow

love it. i think it's really funny and clever, especially when EVERYONE thinks john and sherlock are partners, and sherlock spurs them on lol
i loved the Granada's production  and i think the modern one is really cool. darn, now i have 3 Sherlocks and 4 Watsons to decided for favorite. DARN!
--Kayden

Youtube:TeenFTM (formerly KaydenTransGuy)
my Gender Therapist was Dr. Laura Caghan in Los Alamitos, CA. She is AMAZING.
  •  

MayoiNeko

Holy mother of give me the next season >.<

Whilst the Downey Jr. movies were entertaining, they lacked the typical sherlock style intelligence and just seemed to make him into a talented fighter.. The BBC version however is just brilliant and I can't wait for the next season to come out.

One thing I did discover is the US is remaking their own version of Sherlock where Watson will be played by... wait for it.... Lucy Liu  >.>
So that should be, interesting to say the least.
  •  

TheHermitIX

I've watched BBC SHERLOCK with my friend and I adore Martin Freeman's Watson. From what I'd managed to gather they wont start showing Sherlock until 2014 (originally it was suppose to come out in the winter of 2013).

I've started watching Elementary (the American version of SHERLOCK as some may know it) when it first came out and the way the actor characterizes Sherlock is completely different but still amazing; this Sherlock actually feels more human than the SHERLOCK Holmes. Watson is characterized a bit more aggressive and loud but I personally prefer Martin Freeman's Watson.
  •  

DeeperThanSwords

I loved the new Sherlock series, really well done.

I would, as an aside, heartily recommend that fans of Sherlock Holmes and/or good films watch The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes. Awesome film by Billy Wilder. It even contains Christopher Lee as Mycroft.
"Fear cuts deeper than swords."

•  

Lyric

I really like Martin Freeman as Watson, too. Lucy Liu is cute, but this is Sherlock Holmes. I just noticed Freeman is playing Bilbo Baggins in the Hobbit. I'm sure he'll be great in the part.

~ Lyric ~
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •