Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Are there any Babylon 5 fans on here?

Started by Jayne, October 20, 2012, 04:26:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayne

I was so hooked that I had a huge argument at work one day about it, my boss insisted that I had to work late due to a rush job & I stated that I was leaving bang on 5 pm so i could get home for the new episode of B5, he told me that if I didn't work late then I may not have a job to return to! The look on his face was priceless when I told him that B5 was more important to me than the job.

I'd also like to mention a dishy actor from the show who hasn't been mentioned yet, Ed Wasser (Mr Morden), what a smile he has, during shooting of an early season 3 episode he had skin flakes glued to himself but they were edible, he apparently sat in the canteen peeling the flakes off & eating them to freak out the others, I love a good, warped sense of humour  >:-)
  •  

Joelene9

Must not forget Walter Koenig, Pavel Chekov of Star Trek OS, as the telepathic Psi Corps head Alfred Bester.  "You must wear the glove!"  This to protect the Telepaths from the Mundanes and vice versa.  Alfred Bester, 1913-1987, was also a science fiction writer and has written some story lines for DC comics. 

Joelene
  •  

Jayne

It's shame Crusade got cancelled when it did & ended on episode 13, JMS had the script written for episode 15 featuring Bester on the run, I would have loved to have seen him on the run & desperate, survinving by his cunning & wits, he was such a brilliant character brought to life by a brilliant actor.
  •  

Joelene9

Sheridan did get a good one to Bester when Bester said that he could make Sheridan do something that would cause his own death. And Sheridan replied: "Been there, done that!".

Joelene
  •  

DeeperThanSwords

I love B5. I also cried buckets when Marcus died. I had massive crushes on both him and Ivanova.

Londo & G'Kar were awesome, and I loved Vir to bits.

Favourite episode: The Rock Cried Out, No Hiding Place.
"Fear cuts deeper than swords."

•  

Jayne

Don't fret, there's hope for Marcus yet. If you look closely at the end credits of "sleeping in light" you'll see that Marcus has been placed in cryo suspension at the request of Susan Ivanova, so some day (if a new series ever gets made) he may be revived with the right technology
  •  

DeeperThanSwords

Quote from: Jayne on December 03, 2012, 10:22:23 AM
Don't fret, there's hope for Marcus yet. If you look closely at the end credits of "sleeping in light" you'll see that Marcus has been placed in cryo suspension at the request of Susan Ivanova, so some day (if a new series ever gets made) he may be revived with the right technology

Yeah, I saw that. It's still so sad though. Ivanova has to lose 3 people she loves in the course of the series, so I feel for her big time.

•  

Jayne

Time for a random B5 background fact:

Did you know that during production of B5 JMS ((Stracxynski) was approached by NASA with a request for them to "borrow" the Starfury design? NASA said it was the most practical design they'd seen & would be used as a combination of forklift & tug. JMS gave permission as long as the vehicle retained the name Starfury, NASA agreed to this stipulation but to date no designs of this proposed craft have surfaced. . . . . yet
  •  

Jayne

The fact about the Starfury design was widely circulated at the time, whilst double checking the facts I stumbled across this claim:

Delenn was originally going to be a male character. The "transformation" at the start of season 2 would have been from a male character to a female character - both incarnations were to have been played by Mira Furlan. This is why, in the pilot, Delenn's appearance is much more severe and masculine than in the first series. The plan was to electronically modulate Furlan's voice into a lower register, so her voice would sound male. JMS wasn't happy with the results, so the male-to-female idea was dropped; Furlan's unaltered voice was used for the pilot, and her makeup was made more feminine for the series.

Hmmm, interesting
  •  

DeeperThanSwords

I knew about both those facts, they're cool ones.  :)

I'm amused by the one about how the network loved the show, but told JMS to get rid of Michael O'Hare (Sinclair), or they wouldn't let him make more of the show. They thought he was such an awful actor that they made replacing him a mandatory condition for getting permission/funding for further seasons. No wonder he looks so bitter in his later appearance!

•  

Jayne

SMALL SEASON 2 SPOILER

JMS dislikes the hot shot pilot stereotype so when WB instructed him to add a hot shot pilot JMS decided to kill him off ASAP, after that WB stopped poking their noses in & let JMS get on with making his show his way
  •  

Princess Rachel

Quote from: Jayne on December 03, 2012, 10:22:23 AM
so some day he may be revived with the right technology

JMS, the Great Maker himself, penned such a continuation in the form of a short story - Space, Time and the Incurable Romantic http://bookre.org/reader?file=194501

•  

Jayne

Thanks for the link, i've been re-watching B5 over the last few weeks & got to Marcuss's exit episode last night so your timing is perfect for me.
  •  

Hikari

It is probably my favorite show that ever aired on television.

私は女の子 です!My Blog - Hikari's Transition Log http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/board,377.0.html
  •