Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Why isn't my estrogen working anymore? Please help me.

Started by Princess_Jasmine, December 22, 2012, 05:22:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AngieFerg

I'm not sure if anyone is checking this thread any more or will receive notification of this reply but I have a question or two and a comment or two.

Has anyone here ever heard of the body or estrogen receptors more specifically becoming "desensitized" over time in response to consistently very high levels of estrogen? I  believe the receptors can become resistant to estrogen the same way that insulin receptors can become resistant to insulin. I know some people probably don't want to believe this but I think it's very true. I believe some fluctuation in e levels is good wheres and constant and steady stream might not be quite as effective. I'm having issues just the same being post op and I'm certain that I'm not softening as much as I should. I don't think the patches that I've worn are very effective and the absorption is extremely low. I believe some sort of cycle is probably the best in my opinion. I don't have an endoc I have a couple of family doctors and if you ask them to test your e levels they will just laugh and say its not important. I'm post op and don't feel quite right hormonally either and don't feel like the estrogen is working like it should either.

Angela
  •  

Catherine Sarah

Hi Angela,

My suggestion would be to drop your family doctors. They appear to have either or both, no interest in your case or no understanding of endocrinology.

Having said that, it may serve you well to be totally checked out by an Endo. Lots of things can change, post, that you need to know. Cycling hormones should have no effect on your outcomes. The body will only absorb and use what is necessary. It may be more a case of insufficient supply. Only an Endo can know the solution.

Huggs
Catherine

If you're in Australia and are subject to Domestic Violence or Violence against Women, call 1800-RESPECT (1800-737-7328) for assistance.
  •  

KayXo

Old post but...I tend to believe that too steady levels could desensitize cells although who really knows? This is only my suspicion based on my limited knowledge of biological processes. It may be that patches just don't give enough E in YOUR case...Best, as always, is to talk about it with your doctor and see what they say. We can only give suggestions but the doctor has the last word. ;)
I am not a medical doctor, nor a scientist - opinions expressed by me on the subject of HRT are merely based on my own review of some of the scientific literature over the last decade or so, on anecdotal evidence from women in various discussion forums that I have come across, and my personal experience

On HRT since early 2004
Post-op since late 2005
  •