Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Any unicyclists out there?

Started by purpleshiny, September 08, 2015, 10:46:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purpleshiny

Just curious if anybody else out there in this wonderful community feels the call of the one-wheeled beast. :)

I am a fanatical unicyclist.  I have two little 20" that I use for tricks and trials and a big 36" (Nimbus Nightfox) which I use in place of a bicycle.  I just went for a nice two hour ride on my Nightfox and had a fantastic evening of it (except for one monster of a 20mph crash, but that just ended things on a dramatic and epic note.  :D)

Where I live I'm pretty much the only person I've ever met who rides unicycles.  I've seen two other people in the past year on them, but it's not a very popular sport in my area, probably because of the learning curve or probably because people tend to not like things that are "weird" in my small town.

...like me... haha...

The big one:

The little one:
Any pronoun works.  I also answer to "hey you."
  •  

Lady Smith

Wow! that is one big wheel  :o

You look very intrepid all geared up for going for a ride :D
  •  

purpleshiny

Haha, thank you, but that's not me, it's a photo from another person who owns one... and happens to also take her personal safety more serious than me.  I happen to be quite stupid and decided to wear far less gear than her - a pair of tiny shorts and a little pink t-shirt.

So as a result, I'm walking around my house in five band-aids and a leg wrap.  But it's all worth it!   :D
  •  

Lady Smith

Oooooo gravel rash, - nasty  :icon_bunch:

So yeah, my balance isn't good enough to even think about being a unicycle owner which means that I'm very much in the two and three wheeler camp.  I was tempted by the notion of acquiring an 'ordinary' (penny farthing) for a while there, but all I think I'd do is make a pratt of myself if I tried to ride one.
  •  

purpleshiny

For what it's worth, it looks a lot harder than it is.  Like anything, it's a matter of practicing a lot, and on the smaller wheels dismounting is about as dramatic as stepping down a single stair.  It's just when you decide to go face-first over your 36" in front of a group of highschoolers that you tend to hurt a little more.  ;D

Not sure if you know this or not, but according to legend the Penny Farthing gave birth to the unicycle.  People had their rear wheel fall off and managed to keep the gigantic front wheel going for a while, and that lead them to say "hey, maybe I can just use this by itself!"

It's all a matter of continutally making a pratt of yourself until suddenly you aren't.  :D
  •  

Serenation

when I was a teen my friends brother had one, I was very confident on anything with wheels but that unicycle bettered me, I tried for hours. Had to hold onto a fence and work myself around.

kudos to you, so awesome. That big one looks interesting.
I will touch a 100 flowers and not pick one.
  •  

Lady Smith

Quote from: purpleshiny on September 09, 2015, 01:02:37 AM
For what it's worth, it looks a lot harder than it is.  Like anything, it's a matter of practicing a lot, and on the smaller wheels dismounting is about as dramatic as stepping down a single stair.  It's just when you decide to go face-first over your 36" in front of a group of highschoolers that you tend to hurt a little more.  ;D

Not sure if you know this or not, but according to legend the Penny Farthing gave birth to the unicycle.  People had their rear wheel fall off and managed to keep the gigantic front wheel going for a while, and that lead them to say "hey, maybe I can just use this by itself!"

It's all a matter of continutally making a pratt of yourself until suddenly you aren't. :D

That holds true for almost everything in life, - that would make a great signature line  :laugh:

I didn't realise that about penny farthings and unicycles, but after thinking about it for a moment it all suddenly makes sense.
  •  

paula lesley

•  

Beth Andrea

Interesting hobby!

...although it wasn't surprising to hear "riding a unicycle" followed shortly after with "epic 20 mph crash"...

All I can do is admire the skill and passion of the rider!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

--read in a Tessa James post 1/16/2017
  •