Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

How to be safe.

Started by Stephe, January 05, 2013, 10:55:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shana-chan

@Stephe: Just want to say thanks for posting this. I sent it to my sister so she could be safer. I hope you're still around (Given what you last said in this thread) and again thanks for the advice.
"Denial will get people no where."
"Don't look to the here & now but rather, to the unknown future & hope on that vs. the here & now."
  •  

KyleEdric

A good rule of thumb for any information shares on Facebook like this, always check Snopes.com for validity. Also, wouldn't a rapist see even MORE incentive to attack someone if you start looking them in the eye and making small talk?
"I know your soul is not tainted, even though you've been told so."~Ghost 'Cirice'

•  

HoneyStrums

Well this topics been, Bumped up, so May aswell put in a penny.

The only thing wrong with the initial post, was, the "profiling of a perticuler target type" their just isnt,

A perticuler profile, is tied to a spacfic attacker, and everybody has their type.

so it stands to reason, that their are as many potetial target types, are their are potential attackers.

Aside from that the advise is sound. save it be the impression of, get short hair, because that just might make you fall into the target type of short hair, for example.

But one of the thigs I will take away from this is, OMG i use m phone spacifically as a comping mechanisme for my transness, aka ovoiding eys contect, but i realised that i do this because i allready see a pptential threat and althogh, i do have my phone in my hand, said threat still has all of my attention.

So at these tines i will be ready lol, proble when im most ready.

This post is two years old however. So Ill leave it at that :)
  •  

V M

It is interesting this topic should come back up, but when you read the stats regarding violence towards trans folk I feel it an important topic to discuss

The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Serenation

1] The first thing men look for in a potential victim is hairstyle. They are most likely to go after a woman with a ponytail, bun! , braid or other hairstyle that can easily be grabbed. They are also likely to go after a woman with long hair. Women with short hair are not common targets.

For men - If you see a woman with a pony tail or a bun try to think that looks pretty she spent some time doing that and not oh her hair looks like a great handle for raping.

2] The second thing men look for is clothing. They will look for women whose clothing is easy to remove quickly. Many of them carry scissors around to cut clothing.

For men - Try to see clothes for colour and style not for how easy you can cut them with scissors to rape her

3] They also look for women using their cell phone, searching through their purse or doing other activities while walking because they are off guard and can be easily overpowered.

For men - if you see a woman on the phone or looking in her bag it's not an invitation to rape her, she's just minding her own business.

4] The number one place women are abducted from / attacked at is grocery store parking lots.

For men -  you may think women looking to be raped always go to grocery stores, they don't they go there to get groceries.

5] Number two is office parking lots/garages.

For men -  you may think women looking to be raped always go to parking areas, they don't they go there to get to their car.

6] Number three is public restrooms.

For men -  you may think women looking to be raped always go to bathrooms, they don't they go there to use the bathroom.

7] The thing about these men is that they are looking to grab a woman and quickly move her to a second location where they don't have to worry about getting caught.

For men -  If you see a woman who can be quickly grabbed and moved to a second location for raping without being caught, maybe just leave her be and not rape her.

8] If you put up any kind of a fight at all, they get discouraged because it only takes a minute or two for them to realize that going after you isn't worth it because it will be time-consuming.

For men -  Just because a woman doesn't fight back, does not mean she wants you to rape her.

9] These men said they would not pick on women who have umbrellas, or other similar objects that can be used from a distance, in their hands.

For men - The lack of an umbrella is not a signal to you to rape her. Maybe it's just sunny?

10] Keys are not a deterrent because you have to get really close to the attacker to use them as a weapon. So, the idea is to convince these guys you're not worth it.

For men - as above no umbrella is not a signal for you to rape them.

POINTS THAT WE SHOULD REMEMBER:

1] If someone is following behind you on a street or in a garage or with you in an elevator or stairwell, look them in the face and ask them a question, like what time is it, or make general small talk: can't believe it is so cold out here, we're in for a bad winter. Now that you've seen their faces and could identify them in a line- up, you lose appeal as a target.

For men - As confusing as this might be, if a woman talks to you or doesn't talk to you. neither of them mean you should rape her.

2] If someone is coming toward you, hold out your hands in front of you and yell Stop or Stay back! Most of the rapists this man talked to said they'd leave a woman alone if she yelled or showed that she would not be afraid to fight back. Again, they are looking for an EASY target.

For - men when approaching a woman if she doesn't yell stop or stay back doesn't mean she wants you to rape her.

3] If you carry pepper spray (this instructor was a huge advocate of it and carries it with him wherever he goes,) yelling I HAVE PEPPER SPRAY and holding it out will be a deterrent.

For - men if you go near a woman and she doesn't pepper spray you in the face it doesn't mean she's asking you to rape her.

4] If someone grabs you, you can't beat them with strength but you can do it by outsmarting them. If you are grabbed around the waist from behind, pinch the attacker either under the arm between the elbow and
armpit or in the upper inner thigh - HARD. One woman in a class this guy taught told him she used the underarm pinch on a guy who was trying to date rape her and was so upset she broke through the skin and tore out muscle strands the guy needed stitches. Try pinching yourself in those places as hard as you can stand it; it really hurts.

For - men if you see a woman, don't grab her. If you do grab her don't choose wether to rape her or not on if you get pinched, just don't rape her

5] After the initial hit, always go for the groin. I know from a particularly unfortunate experience that if you slap a guy's parts it is extremely painful. You might think that you'll anger the guy and make him want to hurt you more, but the thing these rapists told our instructor is that they want a woman who will not cause him a lot of
trouble. Start causing trouble, and he's out of there.

For men - When approaching a woman don't rely on the old 'if she doesn't kick you in the balls she wants a raping' way of thinking.

6] When the guy puts his hands up to you, grab his first two fingers and bend them back as far as possible with as much pressure pushing down on them as possible. The instructor did it to me without using much pressure, and I ended up on my knees and both knuckles cracked
audibly.

For men - When approaching a woman don't rely on the old 'if she doesn't break your fingers she wants a raping' way of thinking.

7] Of course the things we always hear still apply. Always be aware of your surroundings, take someone with you if you can and if you see any odd behavior, don't dismiss it, and go with your instincts. You may feel little silly at the time, but you'd feel much worse if the guy really was trouble.

For men - If you see a woman behaving oddly and you feel your instincts are to rape her. Just don't do it.

I added some tips for guys too. Because my friends who have been raped taught me how victim blaming works.
I will touch a 100 flowers and not pick one.
  •  

amber roskamp

I am somewhat bothered by this. By this I mean the initial post. It's like totally telling women they have to do so much to not get raped that they have to inconvenience them self like all the time. Most rapes are NOT done by strangers, but by people you know and trust. This is a ridiculous list because it focuses on what a women needs to do to avoid being raped. Things like this list are why so many rapes go unreported. It puts the responsibility on women to not get raped and shames them when they do. The truth is that if we devoted as much time and effort on telling men not to rape as we did with telling women how not to get raped then maybe rape wouldn't be as big of an issue. Men are brought up to sexually objectify women. They treat having sex like it is a conquest that is why rape happens so often! When a girl that a man is after decides that she doesn't have sex despite the fact that the guy thinks "he has her in the bag", he gets upset and makes her have sex anyways. It's Not because girls have long hair or clothes that are easy to remove or because they didn't check every where around the car.

This is coming form someone who almost got raped about 4 months ago. I went over to what I thought was a friends house, and we drank a few beers and then we were talking about things and I told him I was trans. then he responded with "does that mean you will give me a >-bleeped-<?"

I said "NO! Fck NO!" And I tried to politely leave and he stepped in front of the door.

He stood there for a while and so I sat back down and we talked more he said he wouldn't try anything again. But then 10 minutes later he tried it again and put his hand on me. I slapped his arm away and ran to the door and got there before him.

I could have easily gotten raped by him and none of those tips would have helped me. This why we have to get real and talk to guys about consent. Not tell women how to avoid getting raped by some random dude you don't even know. It's almost always people you know and like. This post is so problematic and it reeks of the rape culture we live in.

I normally don't share that story. I didn't go into full detail, because it was a really traumatic event. Traumatic enough that I considered stopping my transition because I knew I would be at a much greater risk of that happening again if I continued. Sorry I'm ending my rant here.... :'(
  •  

Ms Grace

I think the list shows insight into the mind of a particular type of rapist - the opportunistic or methodical planner type that attacks/abducts in the street/in isolated public areas. From that point of view it never hurts to be aware of your surroundings and any potential threats or predators, we would say the same about not being mugged.

As for the larger percentage of rapists, as noted above, many are known to the victim, sometimes intimately. Their tactics are much less predictable.
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

Amy413

Self defense skills are always good.
Study a method that works for you.

Have an awareness of your environment.
Avoid 'tunneling in' on things in public.

Safety advice applies to everyone.
It's a crazy world out there, more so than ever.

Know the people you decide to spend any kind of time alone with, people can be deceptive. We all know that.

Don't live in fear though.
Fear is not safe.

Personally, I felt fear when reading that original post.
  •  

Roses and Songs

Anyone going out on a limb to try and keep us safe deserves a million thanks. Anyone trying to go behind the lines to differenciate truth from lie deserves a million thanks. I think we're all old enough to know that with any provided information we must take some and leave some, make your own judgement but please don't blame the messengers, they are only... messengers (trying to help).

What I heard was to use the open palm and hit the nose from the side, trying to break it. Apparently, even if you don't succeed tears will be so abundant that they will totaly blind the guy for a while, leaving you time to run. Donno whether it works or not but it certainly is logical and I remember being hit on the nose, I did go blind so...

On the other hand, if a guy(s) abducted me and eventualy realized that I'm not what he expected, I think he would go into such a rage that suddenly rape wouldn't be an issue anymore and that my life would be suspended by a very very fine thread, but who knows.

Thanks everyone, Rose.
  •