a

Started by kyh, January 10, 2013, 01:04:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyh

a
a
  •  

Elspeth

In most places, being 18 means you're an adult and can make your own decisions. Their support can certainly help if it extends to finances, and acceptance presents fewer concerns from therapists who are going to ask you to plan your transition realistically.  In the case of early transitioners (those who block the onset of puberty, like Kim Petras did, parental approval and support is more essential... no one is going to override a parent's views on transition, even though perhaps someday, especially if a reliable test or set of purely physical tests can be made to confirm transsexual status, that too might change.

Approval for HRT is mainly going to be based on whether you can finance the process, and whether the therapist feels it's appropriate to endorse your plan, which mainly ends up being a judgement call about whether you have fully considered this, as well as in some cases resolving any doubts they might have about your dysphoria.

My trans son is 18, soon to be 19.

My ex has concerns that are somewhat delaying his getting top surgery. Some of that has to do with his (my son's) atypical notions of his identity, and her concerns he is being impulsive (by her sense of things, at least). Hopefully she's going to follow through on the plan to have her own sessions with the therapist and come to grips with and distinguish between her legit concerns, and those reservations that have more to do with an inability to fully empathize... also, our discussion of a few days ago revealed to me, at least, that my son had not managed to get through to her how long he has felt this way... she was unaware, for instance that even his earliest sexual encounters with a presumed female partner had centered on him perceiving himself as a gay male. I understand the lack of getting through, as a similar pattern of  expressing anxieties and not inviting a full conversation were part of what drove us apart and led to her unilateral decision to divorce.
"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future."
- Sonmi-451 in Cloud Atlas
  •  

Cindy

This may depend very much where you are. In Australia I doubt that it would have any great impact. People at 18 are independent and covered by Medicare so as long as they can satisfy the therapists concerns then that is it.  There is probably a tendency to fast track younger people as long as they satisfy ANZPATH etc and do not have co-morbidities.

Certainly family support would be seen as a positive, and would be a definite positive for all concerned. But in itself I doubt it would be a major issue. We have 18 yr old females getting boob jobs so I don't see much difference as far as the medical community is concerned.
  •  

Cindy

Quote from: kyh on January 10, 2013, 01:57:23 AM
Thanks for the responses :)

Elspeth, I hope that your son is able to find his way soon. You must be a big source of inspiration and support for him though ^_^ I know that without my parents, I'd feel lost.

And Cindy, I certainly hope that they'll fast track me when the time comes. I don't know if it's me being silly, but I'm worried about becoming even more masculine than I am now as the days, weeks, and months pass by :P

I would ask/demand for androgen blockers right away. They will not have any long term health problems but they will stop puberty changes and they are reversible. Most therapists and Endos are totally supportive.
Download the WPATH guidelines, they are on the web (Google WPATH) and underline the areas about young people and blocking puberty changes and give it too your medics. Telling them that you want no demand that masculinisation changes are stopped while your case is being discussed. Don't accept no we'll think about it.
  •  

kyh

Hey Cindy! I'll do that right now. Will they have to accomodate my request? Or is it in the end up to them?
  •  

luna nyan

With medical treatment, doctors will only do what they are generally comfortable with.  If you're quite insistent, some will aquiesce but you may end up having to find one that is sympathetic.
Drifting down the river of life...
My 4+ years non-transitioning HRT experience
Ask me anything!  I promise you I know absolutely everything about nothing! :D
  •  

Tejas

"Sometimes you have to get knocked down lower than you have ever been to stand up taller than you ever were before.  Sometimes your eyes need to be washed by your tears so you can see the possibilities in front of you with a clearer vision again. Don't settle."
  •  

Cindy

Quote from: kyh on January 10, 2013, 03:07:22 AM
Hey Cindy! I'll do that right now. Will they have to accomodate my request? Or is it in the end up to them?

As ever up to them but if you can present the WAPATH document with the relevant sections underlined it could well help. It depends on the experience of the medic.
  •  

Tristan

Quote from: luna nyan on January 10, 2013, 03:19:33 AM
With medical treatment, doctors will only do what they are generally comfortable with.  If you're quite insistent, some will aquiesce but you may end up having to find one that is sympathetic.
this is very true. your parents support will help. I know with some family Doctors it really helps.
  •  

LilDevilOfPrada

Quote from: kyh on January 10, 2013, 05:56:18 PM
Good news guys! I went to see the therapist (she's not a gender therapist, but one that I used to see) today. She was totally supportive and made a bunch of calls for me. I'm going to see a gender therapist who she knows well within the month. However, in the meantime, she's going to see if she can get anti androgens for me without being officially diagnosed by a gender therapist. We booked an appointment with my family doctor together, and I'll be seeing him exactly one week from now. She's going to talk to him and urge him to prescribe the anti androgens for me immediately.

This is really great :) Thanks so much Cindy for giving me that advice. And thanks everyone else for the responses and kind words ^_^ I really really appreciate it.

By the way, talking to her and telling her some things (some of which I haven't shared yet on the forum) has affirmed my feelings of being transgender, so seeing her today has been helpful on many levels.

GREAT to hear I am glad!!
Awww no my little kitten gif site is gone :( sad.

2 Febuary 2011/13 June 2011 hrt began
  •  

kyh

•  

LilDevilOfPrada

Quote from: kyh on January 10, 2013, 06:12:14 PM
:D :D yeah!!! Thanks for the support Zoey ^_^

Your going to need lotions and mositurisers(wow I spelt that wrong). Trust blockers sure make those a daily need!

•  

LilDevilOfPrada

Quote from: kyh on January 10, 2013, 06:17:24 PM
D: I don't like the feeling of those products on my skin... so slimey xP I guess it's worth the suffering though hehe

Skin care is important young lady!! (HAHA always wanted to say that :P)

•