Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Op-ed: Where Have All the Butches Gone?

Started by Shana A, January 14, 2013, 10:23:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shana A

Op-ed: Where Have All the Butches Gone?
In defense of resilient butches or an effeminate fairies.
BY Riki Wilchins
January 14 2013 4:32 AM ET

http://www.advocate.com/commentary/2013/01/14/where-have-all-butches-gone

Where have all the butches gone?

This question was first posed to me by Joan Nestle, who was personally responsible for resuscitating butch/femme in the 1980s after it had fallen into the dust-bin of political correctness (yes, it did seen like nearly all lesbians—urban or country—dressed in plaid shirts and boots for a while).

As a bone-deep femme herself, she was not referring to an absence of butch-identified women, but the sudden disappearance—as in a mass, silent, migration—of vast numbers of them from the lesbian community.

In a sense, she was a victim of both her own success, and the advances of medical science. While she made it safer for tens of thousands to embrace their inner butch, the emergence of transgender activism—and the new proliferation of Vitamin T (testosterone) made it possible for a significant minority to embrace their inner FTM as well.
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•  

Elspeth

Quotehttp://www.advocate.com/commentary/2013/01/14/where-have-all-butches-goneThis question was first posed to me by Joan Nestle, who was personally responsible for resuscitating butch/femme in the 1980s after it had fallen into the dust-bin of political correctness (yes, it did seen like nearly all lesbians—urban or country—dressed in plaid shirts and boots for a while).

Flashbacks to my college days... I wore them too in the late 70s.
"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future."
- Sonmi-451 in Cloud Atlas
  •