Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Weird T levels & HRT... AIS?

Started by girl you look fierce, January 23, 2013, 11:43:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

girl you look fierce

•  

Elspeth

My understanding is that AIS in any form is not something that is apparent at birth, so failure to diagnose it is probably more common than uncommon. While fairly rare, current estimates run somewhere around 1 in 20,000 XY "males."

And at least one of the AIS resources I looked at seemed to suggest (and make some baseless assumptions) about PAIS incidence that left me wondering whether anyone edited the site.

Better to consult a qualified doctor than go by what the rest of us are likely to pass along from secondary sources?

There are quite a few other possible conditions, so it's almost pointless to speculate in depth unless you have some more objective feedback, test results and confirmation of what has happened to you individually and have confirmed that those looking at your case have been thorough, are well-informed, and are not acting out of some social prejudice.

Reading literally, the current SOC is supposed to rule out organic causes, but given the state of current research, and obvious social prejudices, I've come to expect very little in the way of due diligence from people when dealing with either transgen or intersex conditions, which have sometimes sought separate status, in part acting out on the social stigma and prejudices involved, though there are also practical concerns, such as coercive socialization to consider when digging into this and looking for best practices in coping with one's own state of being.
"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future."
- Sonmi-451 in Cloud Atlas
  •  

Elspeth

Quote from: girl you look fierce on January 23, 2013, 01:41:20 PM
Unfortunately, it seems really hard to find support and resources for mild or partial AIS, cause most people who have it (or most people who it's detected in) are XY females with CAIS.

And it seems to me, from some of the subtext in CAIS sites, that there's a degree of transphobia there too... as in, we are NOT transgendered... which is understandable in that XY females are usually socialized female from birth, and face different kinds of challenges and insecurities when they are told at some later date than, well, genetically speaking "they are guys" which is pretty much meaningless to them in personal and practical terms.

The sites that they support do seem not all that interested in exploring details surrounding CAIS, and those with CAIS who are raised male are probably more often than not shamed into avoiding the issue and further investigation a good deal of the time, if/when it comes up at all.
"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future."
- Sonmi-451 in Cloud Atlas
  •