Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Where/how, to get gender testing done, pls?

Started by JinJan, April 18, 2012, 11:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JinJan

Hi - I have been posting on the Androgyne board here - and, I thought maybe the kind folks here, on the Intersex board, might be able to tell me where, and how, I could get my chromosomes tested.  I was going to ask my primary doc about it, but if someone here, has a better idea, I am open to anything!  Thanks much - I just feel that getting tested, might help me to explain things - even to myself!  JinJan.
  •  

Cindy

Depends as usual on where you live. Chromosome testing is pretty simple your family Dr can organise it, you just need a cheek swab. If the Dr needs a reason, which they probably will you need to tell him you think you are inter-sexed.

But lots of TG people are not inter- sexed on chromosomes. I'm an XY female. Doesn't make any difference to me.
  •  

JinJan

Thank you, Cindy - I understand, that it shouldn't make a difference to me - I think I am wanting this, more to help me explain it to my hubby - he tends to be a 'facts' type person.  And, truthfully, I am still having trouble explaining this to myself - sounds like you have made peace with it all - I am happy for you - I hope to be in that place, sometime, too!  Thanks again, JinJan.
  •  

JLT1

I had a karyotype of the blood done at Cedars Sinai - they did a good job.  Any doctor could order this and insurance covers this.  Karyotype will show things like XX, XY, XXY, XXYY, XXX etc.  I had a regular DNA analysis done of blood and two skin types - the regular DNA of the blood showed the chromosomes, skin is more tricky.  Any DNA lab can run blood, no doctor needs to be involved and it's not that expensive ($300-$1200).  However, if your XXY or some other variant, that may not show up on a regular DNA test.  DNA will do good on XX or XY only.  I'm still looking for a good laboratory to redo the skin as there were issues and good lab equals REALLY expensive - like new car expensive.   Insurance doesn't cover that.

In the end, I'm me.  It's up to you on how important it is.  I'm looking for health reasons, I'm transitioning to a woman because that's what I am.
To move forward is to leave behind that which has become dear. It is a call into the wild, into becoming someone currently unknown to us. For most, it is a call too frightening and too challenging to heed. For some, it is a call to be more than we were capable of being, both now and in the future.
  •  

BunnyBee

Yeah, not worth that much money to find out, for me anyway lol.
  •