Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

New boots

Started by Shannon1979, February 08, 2013, 07:33:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shannon1979

Hi i just had my first pair of heeled boots delivered. and love them need to break them in a bit but love them none the less.

Just want some advice having never walked in heels before i wonder if anyone has any tips for walking. as id rarther not go head over heels in the street when i finally do go out. :)
Mountains can only be summounted by winding paths. And my path certainly has taken a few twists and turns.
  •  

nicki

Practice, relax, practise then post a link/pictures of your boots then practise. relax, practise again ....  ;)

Nicki xxx
  •  

Shannon1979

Thanks i will post a pic. but cant at mo as not posted enough yet. probably wont be long tho. :angel:
Mountains can only be summounted by winding paths. And my path certainly has taken a few twists and turns.
  •  

Jayne

Walk heel to toe, put the weight onto your feet evenly to prevent your feet skidding to the side (i've twisted my ankles a few times from not following that one).
When you need to bend over to pick stuff up bend at the knees, not the waist.

Most important of all, enjoy yourself.

Best wishes

Jayne

p.s. If you're looking for more shoes at reasonable prices then try deichmans online as they have a good range at reasonable prices, they even go up to size 10/44
  •  

Shannon1979

thanks for the tips. I am going to try Deichmans but i think i am going to wait till i go out, and actually go into the store.  :)
  •  

Kevin Peña

Use block heels, not the stick-skinny ones. They are much easier to walk in.

Plus, make sure you don't go past 2 inches. Anything more can risk your feet.

Oh ya, you can use socks and some foot powder to prevent blisters.

Finally, try to keep your feet as close to the same line as possible when walking, as though you're on a tightrope. Makes it easier.
  •  

Kayla

Quote from: Shannon1979 on February 08, 2013, 07:33:52 AM
Hi i just had my first pair of heeled boots delivered. and love them need to break them in a bit but love them none the less.

Just want some advice having never walked in heels before i wonder if anyone has any tips for walking. as id rarther not go head over heels in the street when i finally do go out. :)

Keep your balance on the balls of your feet. Don't try to lean forward and do not try to put your weight on the part of your foot above the heel itself (good way to slip or hurt the feet). Jayne's right about walking heel to toe. Also, relax, it's not that hard. Spend an hour or two walking around your room to get a feel for them. Finally, it's worth noting that walking on a hard surface requires different balance than walking on a soft one. If you don't adjust accordingly, you could fall. I've seen many ciswomen make the same mistake.
  •  

Jayne

After coming out I moved into a flat, this is where I learned to walk in heels & possibly why i'm very steady on heels because I had laminated floors throughout, this is possibly the slipperiest surface i've walked on & it forced me to find a good balance quickly.
If you have any slippery floors in your place then practice walking on that surface & practice turning, at first I was great in a straight line but would often skid when turning the corner into my bedroom, i'm sure that learning how to corner on slippery floors has saved me from public falls/slips more then a few times.

When you do venture outside in your heels I advise a short trip only as walking on uneven pavements seems to tire my legs & feet quicker.
If your shoes feel tight at the toes then try to avoid walking down steep hills, Bristol is very hilly & by the time i've walked down my local hill in one pair that are snug my toes are starting to suffer.
If you are uncertain about your balance then try wedges, they are very, very comfy as they spread your weight evenly, I wore my best pair to the GIC in London late last year & after being on my feet for 8 - 10 hrs that day my feet felt fine.

Final piece of advice for now is, avoid cobblestones & watch out for potholes!!
  •  

Shannon1979

Thanks. i have followed tips you have given. The tightrope analogy was really helpfull i walked up the street and back and found that doing that made a huge difference.

I got three inch heels not two. but i did that for a reason in womans sizes i am a nine and wanted to make sure my feet didnt look like boats. However they are Hogl and were not cheap so are very comfortable. :)
  •