Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

gender recognition

Started by Sarah_aus, February 24, 2013, 06:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarah_aus

Last week, I became the first Trans Woman in South Australia to be legally recognised as female, under the current attorney general, prior to the intervention of surgery, I have not undergone any surgeries as yet, and whilst I do plan on having surgery in but a few short weeks, my application for recognition was judged based on the evidence of hormonal reassignment only.

What this means for other South Australian trans women, is a legal precedent, you can now be recognised as female, even if you do not plan to have reassignment surgery, in the same way that trans men are recognised as legally male in this state without the need to undergo a hystorectomy.  My hope is that there will be someone who is willing and able to now mount a case for legal recognition, prior to undergoing any hormonal reassignment.

Eventually it would be nice to think that the state will allow people to self determine their gender, though I think this is a way off.  I personally would also like to see the state adopt a gender non specific option, such as is the case with passports, you can be M, F or X.

I am posting this here because I want to share with everyone who can use this information, I have kept copies of all of my documentation for the entire process, and would be happy to share with anyone who asks the specific wording used on the affidavits, and the evidence supplied to the magistrate, as well as the process of going through recognition.
"There is a place you can touch a woman that will drive her crazy. Her heart." - Melanie Griffith
"It's true that we don't know what we've got until we lose it, but it's also true that we don't know what we've been missing until it arrives." - Unknown
  •  

peky

Congratulations are in order to you and to the great country of Australia!!!

BZ

Peky
  •  

Rachel85

Congrats Sarah!
A trailblazer! Wow, just goes to show that lil old SA is a lot more progressive than some people think. As Cindy says it looks like Adelaide is actually a really accepting place.
Tbh the though of litigation and going to court has always freaked me out! Kudos! You're a lot braver a person than me!
Now you can focus on your next steps!
  •  

Cindy

Congrats Sis,

Well done.

I'm very proud of you!!!

[We may have to have a chat in how/if I can use this in the same sex marriage idea]

Cindy
  •