In game Gender Dysphoria

Started by AwishForXX, February 11, 2013, 11:45:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If the option is given in RPGs and FPSs, what gender do you play

Same as my true gender.
Same as my birth sex.
Other, please explain.

WhiteDustWolf

I've pretty much always played male characters if given the choice, it just feels right for me. As far as I can tell I've always felt not at ease playing with females - then again I'm FtM and playing a male character is a way to escape reality for me. It just feels a bit more freeing and comfortable somehow.

But yeah, in some games you can't choose and that's when I don't care. Also, in some games you get different options/dialogues/story paths/whatever depending on what gender you choose and in those cases I will either take whichever gender gives me more of the game experience (story, choices etc) that I want or play through it with both genders if the game is good enough for another playthrough.

Emo

Now that i think about it. In my animal crossing ds game, the only reason i kept my boy character was so i could keep that purple cat around. I liked that purple cat. :)
But after a few months hiatus i came back to the game and he had moved away. :'(
So i started over with my female character. Then i forgot about the game completely until a few more months later, when my friend and i wanted to play together. So we booted up our games and lo and behold i die of embaracement because it was the female character.
Annd being as cool and smooth as i am, i say,"oh... Whoops..." *facepalm*
  •  

FalseHybridPrincess

Since early age Id pick girl characters on games like tekken,,,at first I didnt really know why I just wanted to admire them
my mom would notice and she was like "arent you too young to look at girls like that " ...wieeeeeeeeeeeerd

Then I started playng rpg with a male character , but for some strange reason it felt boring , blunt , empty i dunno, so I started using female characters and I loved it so much , dressing them up experiecing the story as a girl...so fun...

also I introduce as a girl in online games , liberating and fun...

thank god for video games actually...
http://falsehybridprincess.tumblr.com/
Follow me and I ll do your dishes.

Also lets be friends on fb :D
  •  

Emo

@princess
Hmm... Cant seem to find the like button...
  •  

FalseHybridPrincess

http://falsehybridprincess.tumblr.com/
Follow me and I ll do your dishes.

Also lets be friends on fb :D
  •  

Caleb18

I guess I am a real creep. I am FTM and I will almost always play as a girl when I am playing shooter games. I play Uncharted 3 (love when I get one in the last of us). I just LOVE the noises they make when they are running and jumping and getting shot. That moan you know...If I am playing a fighting game, I think I would probably play as a male. If I am playing the sims, 9 out of 10 times I will make a boy sim. If I am playing an RPG I will play as a guy too. Maybe, I am only a creep in shooter games. Yep that's it for me. 
~I am everything I thought I could never be~
  •  

Luana

I think that this choice is somewath linked to real life. I Always liked more to play with female characters (Unless they was poorly made), they ever was more like "me". I think that I always wanted to be a girl inside and in games we can be watherer we want right?? So why not?? And.. if we don't like our born gender in real life, I think it would be something that we avoid subconsciously in games.
Just one step at time :D
  •  

Calder Smith

Playing video games has actually helped my dysphoria. In video games, pretty much all of them have a playable male character in them. Even before I knew I was transgender, I would always play as the male character.
Manchester United diehard fan.
  •  

Ryan55

I always play as a male character, video games help me escape and feel like who I really am, I think I tried once making a female character and I couldn't get through it, ended up starting over as male

•  

Keira Rosa

I play a lot rpgs and mostly i choose male. Even thought id like to be female in the game most rpgs dont do a good job at how armor and weapons, etc. get displayed on female characters. I did run a female in skyrim up to level 52 or so. It was great character
  •  

ath

I tend to play female characters, myself, not that I don't occasionally play a male one.

I've always been pretty open about playing female characters, too. Where I lived last year, we had a 360 with Fallout New Vegas, which I'd play a lot. My character was female on it, and I played it in front of my roommates all the time. They didn't care. Neither has anyone on any of the MMOs I've played. To me at least, it seems like people don't care too much. At least not anybody I've ran into.
"When I think of all the worries people seem to find
And how they're in a hurry to complicate their mind
By chasing after money and dreams that can't come true
I'm glad that we are different, we've better things to do
May others plan their future, I'm busy lovin' you "
-The Grass Roots
  •  

Skyler

before i "knew" i was trans* male i always made male characters XD and ofc still do.  Everyone would always ask me why well ya i found out why;)
  •  

Erik Ezrin

Yeah, I always played male characters too. Even as a kid/teen before I 'knew' I was trans. I was open about it too, I didn't think of it as odd or weird at all. I didn't really know why I did it though, it just felt right. Whenever someone asked me about it I either said I just liked it better or "just because" or because I hated the uber-feminised outfits and characters in games. (but even in games with 'normal' females I always played a guy. I'd just reply "I start playing girls as soon as they get a 'facial hair' and 'no boobs' option" lol)

Even in LARP I now finally play a guy. Which is truly liberating for me. I don't have to worry about people not accepting me as male, because it's a CHARACTER and cross-gender play is perfectly accepted. So even if they don't see me as a guy, they will still treat me as one in-game, which gives me great confidence to portray myself more as male in real life too.
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not" -Kurt Cobain

My fb art page; https://www.facebook.com/BellaKohlerArt
My DA art page; http://asrath.deviantart.com/
  •  

Kara Jayde

Heyy, a gaming section, this works well for me since I'm a pretty hardcore gamer ^^ YES a thousand times to playing as my true gender. My entire life I always chose female characters if the option was there, from my preteens (Mortal Combat 3, Sonja!) right through my teens (Lara Croft) and beyond (Skyrim, Saints Row, Fallout, Mass Effect, etc). Even recently in Stick of Truth, where you are a male, but they don't seem to care if you avoid being a male, as there's heaps of wigs and makeup and I played through as a female, pretty much. I've avoided games because they were male only (even though games are kind of my job, so its risky to avoid them at all, but I really dislike playing as a male) even though I only recently came to terms with my gender dysphoria.

I've been pretty open about my preference for female characters, and although some people have considered it weird, I never cared much. I used the reason that many people have stated to deflect the question (if I'm going to stare at a character for 60 hours, I want something pretty to look at) and that seems to satisfy most friends (and myself, whilst in denial, though I always knew deep down it was much more than that). My openness about it actually made a friend 'come out' to me that they were mtf (not transitioning) and I was asked if I was too, but I was in severe denial at that point so said no. The results of this poll are interesting though, I wonder if it's common for people withOUT gender dysphoria to play as the opposite sex, and how one could go about researching that.

•  

Erik Ezrin

QuoteI wonder if it's common for people withOUT gender dysphoria to play as the opposite sex, and how one could go about researching that.
YES! I wonder that a lot too! I think it's not all that UNcommon, but most (cis)people I know play a character of their birth sex, but do not have big issues with playing a guy/girl once in a while (like in AC where you can't chose. I have plenty of girl friends who love the game, even though you are obliged to play a guy)
Another female friend of mine plays D&D and has a male character. Usually she picks female too, but 'it fits the character better' she said. And in LARP cross-gender play also exists but is VERY VERY VERY rare.
Sometimes people also just want to see what it's like to be a guy/girl, and play the opposite sex out of curiosity.

•  

Kara Jayde

Quote from: Erik Ezrin on April 03, 2014, 03:47:15 AM
YES! I wonder that a lot too! I think it's not all that UNcommon, but most (cis)people I know play a character of their birth sex, but do not have big issues with playing a guy/girl once in a while (like in AC where you can't chose. I have plenty of girl friends who love the game, even though you are obliged to play a guy)
Another female friend of mine plays D&D and has a male character. Usually she picks female too, but 'it fits the character better' she said. And in LARP cross-gender play also exists but is VERY VERY VERY rare.
Sometimes people also just want to see what it's like to be a guy/girl, and play the opposite sex out of curiosity.

Oh, I get playing when being forced to (I play a lot of games, so often HAVE to play a guy *sigh*), or the occasional curiosity, but I wonder if it's ever consistent like it seems to be for a lot of us? If not, it sounds like games have opened up a somewhat clear marker for GID haha.

•  

Erik Ezrin

QuoteOh, I get playing when being forced to (I play a lot of games, so often HAVE to play a guy *sigh*), or the occasional curiosity, but I wonder if it's ever consistent like it seems to be for a lot of us? If not, it sounds like games have opened up a somewhat clear marker for GID haha.
Let's say... I do not KNOW any cis identifying people who CONSISTENTLY play the other sex. I know a lot who do it occasionally, but that's it. But they might be out there for sure... if I were a scientist I'd research it. Cause now I am getting curious as well.

•  

LThesaurus

I always play female characters, 100% of the time, any time I have a choice. Even in Borderlands, like, I remember picking the Soldier class initially. I gave it two playthroughs, but once I didn't need to concentrate as much on the gameplay, I switched over to Lilith. Her playstyle is much more fun, you actually get a 'feel' for the size and sex of your character in that game, I just plain enjoyed Lilith a lot more. Also, she's not nearly as campy or anything as Roland is. Now, if your character's sex impacts your playstyle like in Borderlands, or if I just don't get a choice like in most action games like Devil May Cry, I absolutely need the gameplay to be so complex and involving that I don't even think about it. I can stand to play as characters like Dante, Raiden, Samuel, or like, Death in Darksiders 2, because I'm so focused on the combat, and then focused on 'what secret will I go for next?' If it's an MMO or something a lot less involving, I just can't do that. I don't feel like it's legitimate discomfort most of the time, I just lose interest a lot more quickly.

I also play Pathfinder from time to time. It's a pen-and-paper game where ultimately the sex of your character doesn't matter. I STILL always play female characters, and my GM was a bit confused by that. He told me something like, I should play a male character next. I don't remember telling him that it was unlikely I would ever role-play a male character... but I did have some initial plans for my next character to be male. Threw those out when I found the perfect name for her.
If anybody asks about it, which people usually don't, I usually just use the 'eye candy' excuse as untrue as it is. It usually gets people to not talk about it. Well, unless you happen to be playing a game without graphics like Pathfinder.
  •  

Kara Jayde

Hehe, yeh using the 'eye candy' excuse for a pen and paper would be a bit strange, haha. I'm not sure what excuse I'd use in that circumstance >_<

•  

LThesaurus

I can't think of a very good excuse myself, no... I'm pretty sure I just never gave an excuse.
I'm not very subtle.
  •