Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Pride And Shame

Started by Shana A, February 19, 2013, 09:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shana A

Sun Feb 17, 2013 at 10:12 AM PST
Pride And Shame

by laurustina

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/02/17/1187804/-Pride-And-Shame

In September of 2008, my 16 year-old daughter Alice shoves her way onto the planning committee for Modesto's 3rd annual LGBT Pride Festival. She takes to carrying around a notebook into which she scribbles ideas, suggestions and plans to propose to the group. I get the sense that they tire of her "In Santa Cruz, they do it like this..." but then these are people who understand Modesto's queer history in a way that Alice does not. The fact that there's a festival at all is progress.

My sister Ruby joins Alice and I on the morning of the festival, and Modesto's most stately park is already buzzing with activity when we arrive. The Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence are camping it up in the amphitheater, while the BBQ pits are starting to smoke.

A Bounce House has been erected near the play equipment and is already filled with screeching children. There is a nice mix of street food, and slew of booths selling art, books, crafts and paraphernalia. Mixed in among the vendors, is a smattering of booths for non-profit orgs, a couple of churches and the Democratic Party of Stanislaus County.

For weeks now, Alice has been reminding her grandmother of the time and date for the festival, and begging her to come. My mother has avoided committing herself to a YES or NO and I decide to make one last ditch effort for Alice's sake.
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•