Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Question about HRT and Voice - FtM

Started by Rin, July 09, 2013, 09:18:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rin

I have another question about HRT separate from the previous one - are any of you on HRT singers?

I'm operatically trained (I'm a Dramatic Mezzo Soprano) and this was one of the (many) reasons I'm afraid to go on T. I've been trained for years, and I can pitch my voice low and it usually helps me pass just by that alone, but I was wondering. Did any of you encounter trouble singing after starting HRT? I was curious if you had to...re-train your voice to sing with how much it may have changed. I don't personally know any FtMs who are singers, so this one has perplexed me since I came out. 

•  

aleon515

Well I'm not really a singer, but I know a bit about this. A LOT of people experience trouble with their voices after starting T. And some people actually need to train their voices. I know of a few people who sing in groups or make individual recordings post-T. I think it takes time. I have a theory that lower voices require more breath and so people aren't used to providing this. I took up playing the alto recorder and Native American flute (didn't do it for that reason) but that seemed like it has helped me provide more air. I haven't totally lost my singing voice unlike some other people I know. If you wanted to take this suggestion, I'd do the tenor recorder instead or a very low -- requires even more in the way of breath control. I was actually an alto before, but could sing some in the tenor range-- seems like my voice might get quite low.

You might check out someone on youtube owenthegenderboy: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCetLGwf71albyBW9de00hBw
I don't know how serious he is, but I know he does some singing. Also I am pretty sure this guy does sing, even though his style is way way different. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTU6X1ggllkqDt591ZsGaVg  Everyone who I know who sings sings more folk, rock, etc etc. Not serious operatic stuff.

--Jay
  •  

ford

I've completely lost my singing voice. Guess it varies from person to person. When I try to sing now, there is no voice there...just the sound of air, haha. Not that I'm a trained singer or anything, but I did sing frequently on my own.
"Hey you, sass that hoopy Ford Prefect? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is!"
~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
  •  

Rin

Heya!

Thanks for all the info, Jay.
I've been singing for about a decade now and honestly I'd be kind of sad if I lost my ability to sing. It's one of the major things that I feel like is my own, you know? I'm not sure how to describe it. I feel like losing my ability to sing like I can now would be like losing a part of myself and it makes me very nervous to think that that could go away. (And now I'm thinking of The Little Mermaid, of course; trading your voice to change what needs to be changed ><)

Aw, Ford, I'm sorry. Perhaps you need to adjust the breathing type, like Jay said?

When I was beginning my training, breathing in general was a big problem (I used to sound like a cat being thwacked repeatedly against a brick wall) but once I learned how to breathe properly, my voice could project pretty intensely if I wanted it to. So...yeah. A lot of fear of losing that.

•  

aleon515

Quote from: Rin on July 09, 2013, 10:46:34 PM
Heya!

Thanks for all the info, Jay.
I've been singing for about a decade now and honestly I'd be kind of sad if I lost my ability to sing. It's one of the major things that I feel like is my own, you know? I'm not sure how to describe it. I feel like losing my ability to sing like I can now would be like losing a part of myself and it makes me very nervous to think that that could go away. (And now I'm thinking of The Little Mermaid, of course; trading your voice to change what needs to be changed ><)

Aw, Ford, I'm sorry. Perhaps you need to adjust the breathing type, like Jay said?

When I was beginning my training, breathing in general was a big problem (I used to sound like a cat being thwacked repeatedly against a brick wall) but once I learned how to breathe properly, my voice could project pretty intensely if I wanted it to. So...yeah. A lot of fear of losing that.

Ow! Sounds painful.

It's not just "adjusting breathing type" though there may be something to this. People are used to not taking in air using their diaphragms. If you want to get a low note on a wind instrument (like a recorder, clarinet, etc.) you need to be able to control air flow and basically take more air in. I think when we try to get into lower notes in singing, we're not used to doing this. I don't know for sure if this would help, but I seem to have a little less trouble than a lot of people I know, and wondering if this is why. I'm used to doing it. Haven't played for awhile, but I basically have a muscle memory of it or something.

Ro (on youtube) is pretty interested in helping guys out. So you could probably ask him about his experiences. Or I could ask him if you like.

Another thing I have heard is that what they call jack-rabbiting (going to high doses) on T, can make your voice pinched. There is a doctor in Phoenix AR who keeps guys on quite a low dose for several years. Transition is MUCH slower, with guys not passing after a year. So low dose is an option. I am not allowed to give doses on susan's but the idea is to take a very much lower dose. You will eventually pass, as it is not that low. I also started on a low dose, so that might be another reason I have less problems with my voice. I am on t-cream. Cream gives you more flexibility of dose.

--Jay
  •  

Rin

Howdy again

Yeah, like I said, I've been able to control my breathing a lot better than I used to. I suppose I could try hitting lower notes now (sometimes I almost reach Contralto status and I surprise myself) and I pitch my voice already (I've had my close friends who've heard my voice before tell me I sound like a Baritone when I talk). Which is probably why people get confused when I can suddenly belt the female parts from Les Mis lol. I'll have to look into it further. I might contact Ro about it.   

•  

Soren

Quote from: Rin on July 10, 2013, 12:30:35 AM
Howdy again

Yeah, like I said, I've been able to control my breathing a lot better than I used to. I suppose I could try hitting lower notes now (sometimes I almost reach Contralto status and I surprise myself) and I pitch my voice already (I've had my close friends who've heard my voice before tell me I sound like a Baritone when I talk). Which is probably why people get confused when I can suddenly belt the female parts from Les Mis lol. I'll have to look into it further. I might contact Ro about it.

There are cis guys that do that too- have a lower voice when they talk and a higher one when they sing, I mean.
  •  

aleon515

Yes it does. I have a lovely singing voice in my head. :) Of course that was pre-T too. And I haven't had zero effects from T, just seems fewer than what people talk about.

--Jay
  •