Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Oz: the Great and Powerful

Started by Jamie D, March 11, 2013, 02:11:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamie D

I saw this on Sunday night.  Paid $10 per ticket.  Well worth the price.

I loved this film.  I love the story, as a "prequel" to the 1939 film.

The 1939 Wizard of Oz scared me to death, as a kid.  Every year we eagerly awaited the television broadcast.  The flying monkeys gave me chills.  The first few times I saw it, it was on a black & white television.  It was not until 1969 that I saw it in color, and I fell in love with the movie all over again.

The new film is every bit and bright and colorful.  Those familiar with the 1939 film will see the homage paid to it by the current cast and director.

No spoilers, but be prepared to laugh and cry.  It's that good.
  •  

DirtyFox

Wholeheartedly agree. I saw it on Friday night with a friend and her son. It was absolutely amazing. Highly recommend seeing it. And yes you can buy the doll =p
Watching the birds made me feel like taking a journey. The people, the landscapes, everything was imperfect but beautiful.
  •  

Heather

I've been wanting to see this movie I was big fan of the original growing up. :)
  •  

Lyric

Actually, this film couldn't exactly be a sequel to the 1939 film, because the two films are owned by competing studios. Warner owns "The Wizard of Oz" these days and Disney did this new film. I think they tried to borrow as much as they could without getting into a legal tussle with Warner.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •  

Sarah Louise

Its not the Wizard of Oz that I knew.

Just like that new Jack the Giant Killer isn't the same as Jack and the Bean Stalk.

They took nice simple movies and destroyed them.  In my ancient way of thinking.
Nameless here for evermore!;  Merely this, and nothing more;
Tis the wind and nothing more!;  Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore!!"
  •  

Sara Thomas

I s'pose I've kinda outgrown them now, but I always wanted to read the Oz books by Frank Baum.

I have always liked the original movie, and was unaware of this newer release... might hafta check it out.
I ain't scared... I just don't want to mess up my hair.
  •  

Beth Andrea

I tried to read the book when I was younger, like 8yo...I remember it being quite a bit above my reading level at the time. It might be a good read to an adult...

Oh yeah, I remember those times...in the fall EVERYONE waited eagerly for (at least) two favorites: Wizard of Oz, and Charlotte's Web. But now, with dvd's, kids can watch them at will, so they don't have the sense of them being special, marking the change of seasons, school starting, etc.
...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

--read in a Tessa James post 1/16/2017
  •  

Trixie

LOVED this movie. All I can really say on it, ha.
  •