Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Models of whatever in plastic kits

Started by Lesley_Roberta, December 27, 2012, 08:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beth Andrea

Quote from: Joelene9 on September 21, 2013, 09:53:01 PM
  Okay, I am not feeling well.  I went to my doctor's last month and went into the hobby shop in their new location afterwards.  Guess what?  I found an A-6E Intruder model staring at me from the shelf.  I wanted one since I did electronic maintenance on those things in the early 1970's!  All I could find in the past were the 1:72 sizes.  This one is 1:48.  It is sitting on a pile of stuff needing to be put away in my livingroom as soon as I can function on my aching feet.  I'll have room on my drafting table to assemble it.  I wil try to find or make decals with my squadron insignia to put on it. 

Joelene

Love the A-6...but then, I love the A-4 and the A-7 too. Ground attack, mostly. "Bomb trucks" = WIN!
...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

--read in a Tessa James post 1/16/2017
  •  

Lesley_Roberta

If you like model planes, you will LOVE this. Best hour in your day is my guess.

Well being TG is no treat, but becoming separated has sure caused me more trouble that being TG ever will be. So if I post, consider it me trying to distract myself from being lonely, not my needing to discuss being TG. I don't want to be separated a lot more than not wanting to be male looking.
  •  

Beth Andrea

Thank you, Lesley_Roberta! yes, indeed that was my finest hour of the day.

:)
...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

•  

Amy The Bookworm

I LOVE to build models. Me and my daughter have started building a huge stack of them we've had sitting in the closet for years. Here's some pictures of our work!

•  

Sara W

YUP! I've been building scale models for years :) Currently learning how to make more of.. erm.. customized ones instead of following the instructions step by step ;D

It is.. well.. it will be a Celica GT-Four, straight from rally road ;)
"Ain't no hiding what you are. Day you try, is the day you die. Stand tall, smile bright, and let 'em wonder what secret's making you laugh."

http://sarawalkingonbrokenglass.blogspot.fi/
  •  

Jenny07

Got a Tamyia Red Bull F1 RB6 kit from 2010, nice but can do better, so purchased supplementary parts to go the whole hog, or should that be Bull?
Building Mark Webbers car as an Aussie.

Detail parts include carbon decal which cover nearly every surface, close to 400 decals and a gallon of decal setting solution and time.
Worth the effort? You bet as it makes such a difference but it's not for the faint hearted.
Also got some alternative decals for other sponsors during the year to customise.

So far so good but a long way to go yet.

So long and thanks for all the fish
  •  

big kim

Just seen a friend's son's latest(the one I gave the 1/72 P40 to) a set of P47 Thunderbolts in American,British,French and Russian markings.I used to make warplanes "under new management" and can remember making a Russian P39,British P40 and British Wildcat.
  •  

Lesley_Roberta

I think I just revealed a major breakthrough in preference.

I routinely see kits in 32nd scale range and lament that they are too much airplane as they are too much interior work and I couldn't care less if the kit has a beautiful engine assembly. I don't do interiors. I am not paying 150ish bucks for a kit that is something I mustly don't want.

The revelation. I spent 10 bucks on a Guillows Hurricane in 30th scale. The funny thing of course, is I bought the kit thinking small box equals 72nd scale type kit. WRONG :) They can actually pack in alot of model in a box when it is mainly flat wooden parts eh. I never really noticed that Guillows is mostly 30th and 28th scale items. But the big eye opener was, hey these are big and yet basic, as you don't build a fiddly engine, in fact the interior is basically nothing. They are light as they are meant to be capable of flight.

Al these years and this truth has conveniently been hidden from my senses.

Not sure how great I will be at this kit, but considering it is wood and white glue and tissue. Hell this is my native environment eh I'm a wood worker. Size will be an issue though, I suspect if I get going at it, the local store is getting free display copies of my creations to fly in their air space :)
Well being TG is no treat, but becoming separated has sure caused me more trouble that being TG ever will be. So if I post, consider it me trying to distract myself from being lonely, not my needing to discuss being TG. I don't want to be separated a lot more than not wanting to be male looking.
  •  

Keaira

Quote from: Lesley_Roberta on September 25, 2013, 10:04:34 PM
If you like model planes, you will LOVE this. Best hour in your day is my guess.

OMG!!! I lived there before I moved to the US.
  •  

Lauren5

I used to build them, but not anymore.
Hey, you've reached Lauren's signature! If you have any questions, want to talk, or just need a shoulder to cry on, leave me a message, and I'll get back to you.
*beep*

Full time: 12/12/13
Started hormones: 26/3/14
FFS: No clue, winter/spring 2014/15 maybe?
SRS: winter/spring 2014/15?
  •  

Keaira

I just finished watching that video. Not only did I live in Telford, but I trained to be a Propulsion Mechanic at RAF Cosford. So that was really great for me to watch. Thank you for sharing that Lesley. :D
  •  

Beth Andrea

Quote from: Lesley_Roberta on December 29, 2013, 08:39:06 AM
I think I just revealed a major breakthrough in preference.

I routinely see kits in 32nd scale range and lament that they are too much airplane as they are too much interior work and I couldn't care less if the kit has a beautiful engine assembly. I don't do interiors. I am not paying 150ish bucks for a kit that is something I mustly don't want.

The revelation. I spent 10 bucks on a Guillows Hurricane in 30th scale. The funny thing of course, is I bought the kit thinking small box equals 72nd scale type kit. WRONG :) They can actually pack in alot of model in a box when it is mainly flat wooden parts eh. I never really noticed that Guillows is mostly 30th and 28th scale items. But the big eye opener was, hey these are big and yet basic, as you don't build a fiddly engine, in fact the interior is basically nothing. They are light as they are meant to be capable of flight.

Al these years and this truth has conveniently been hidden from my senses.

Not sure how great I will be at this kit, but considering it is wood and white glue and tissue. Hell this is my native environment eh I'm a wood worker. Size will be an issue though, I suspect if I get going at it, the local store is getting free display copies of my creations to fly in their air space :)

I used to love building balsa wood planes...the only tricky part for me was getting the tissue-paper skin to sit right...it never did, iirc. I eventually just built them for the frame, which is artwork in itself.

•  

Devlyn

•  

Jenny07

Here is something I have been working on and have finally finished.
This had to be kit bashed with quite a lot of work involved.
The locomotive is not offered like this. It is a booster unit without a cab.

Yes it runs and has digital sound.

I have 2 more to finish as they ran in sets in the 1960's.
I spray them with my airbrush and then have to decal them from sets to match the prototype.

It takes much time and research to get just right but the results are worth the effort.

Here is the real thing

•  

V M

Came out rather nice Jenny  :)  What scale is it? Do you have a full on train board you run?
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Jenny07

V M

It's HO scale.
Sorry but no layout at the moment so they sit in boxes and my display case.

I have about 300 locomotives and many more coaches and freight cars. I also have a very nice collection of Brass models.
I hate to think their value as it would run into the 6 figures.  :o
I model Union Pacific as I found it very interesting and they had a unique variety.
Even had Jet locomotives called Gas turbines.

One interesting not to history was they commissioned plans for an atomic locomotive!
Imagine that these days.

By the way yes I like trains.
  •  

Lauren5

Quote from: Jenny07 on March 22, 2014, 05:40:23 AMHere is something I have been working on and have finally finished.
I spray them with my airbrush and then have to decal them from sets to match the prototype.
It takes much time and research to get just right but the results are worth the effort.

Here is the real thing
http://www.hark.com/clips/pcjhnzsplk-its-very-nice

Unfortunately the models I like to come out reasonably sized have to be 1:200 or smaller, and it's too detailed to put little intricate parts together on a large aircraft at that scale or smaller, so I usually got the snap-together in 1:200 and pre-assembled 1:400 or 500.
Once I start getting an income again (and after I guy some gear for the World Cup) I have a whole list of models I want to make an airport diorama with, many Cathay Pacific, Singapore, and Malaysia models.
Hey, you've reached Lauren's signature! If you have any questions, want to talk, or just need a shoulder to cry on, leave me a message, and I'll get back to you.
*beep*

Full time: 12/12/13
Started hormones: 26/3/14
FFS: No clue, winter/spring 2014/15 maybe?
SRS: winter/spring 2014/15?
  •  

V M

Not sure what reminded me of this, maybe the North Koreans?

When I was in high school, a friend and I were into model rockets and we were always looking for ways to modify them, mostly turning them into fireworks of sorts

So we would build our rockets, pack them up in our packs and ride our bikes for an hour or so to fire them off at the beach

Well, one day I noticed a Dil-- prosthetic penis sitting at the top of one of my neighbor's trash - So being the kinda kid I was I got a couple of plastic sandwich bags for gloves and retrieved it, cleaned it up good and it became the topper for one of my rockets

I also rigged it with a booster rocket and a couple of those spinning flower fireworks thingies

Being the kinda kids we were at the time I painted eyes and a smile on it and my friend Dan named it the amazing flying D---

Thinking back, we sure went to a lot of work just to fire off a few rockets that we were rarely ever able to recollect

Every now and then I wonder who might have found the amazing flying D---

I'm sure it must have wash up somewhere, but it flew pretty high and far so who knows?

Anyway, that's enough of my silly reminiscences for now

LOL
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Kimberley Beauregard

Quote from: Jenny07 on March 22, 2014, 05:40:23 AM
Here is something I have been working on and have finally finished.

Here is the real thing

That's great work, nice one!

I'm also a model railway enthusiast and general rail fan.  I model in OO gauge (better known as 1/76 or 4mm scale) and want to build a real life station when space allows for it.  Most of the hobby involves crafting and basic electronics but I haven't built anything substantial yet.
- Kim
  •