Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Barefoot vs Shoes?

Started by Bastian, February 28, 2013, 12:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bastian

I'm just curious if anyone can offer me some input on this. I've been going out every day for the past two/three weeks and I want to start looking at buying myself a real running shoe. Now I can't really decide between a barefoot shoe or a normal running shoe. I really like the idea of running barefoot and having a completely (well near completely) natural experience. But I do have some concerns that make me hesitate to get a barefoot shoe.

1. I live in Canada, so it get's cold. Sometimes when it's brisk out (between -1 - -15, as long as it's sunny and not windy or snowing) I like to go for a walk because I really enjoy the cold weather. Will a minimalist shoe still provide me approximately equal warmth as a regular running should would?

2. Because it get's cold, I intend to spend some months indoors using a treadmill in order to avoid running on the paths near my house (which ice over very easily), I can run on a treadmill using a minimalist shoe yes? I've heard you're feet can get hot on a treadmill running barefoot, would your feet get hot in a barefoot shoe since the sole is quite thin?

3. If I train in a barefoot runner will I be able to transfer my speed and distance over to a regular shoe? What I mean is will I be able to run the same distance and with the same efficiency in a regular shoe?

Some stuff about me that might provide useful information for accessing if I should get barefoot runners;

1. I like to run outside, not just on pavement and concrete though, I have access to national parks which involve anything from downfall, grassy hills to rock beds and creeks.

2. I have never run barefoot before or in a barefoot shoe

3. I'm a beginner, the whole world of running is very very new to me, but I'm very enthusiastic.

4. I have an old injury to my right ankle that I've noticed I tend to compensate for with my left calf. I've been working to correct this and not compensate in order to try to strengthen the muscles around my ankle and I've definitely noticed I'm in less pain during and after my walks, as the weeks have passed.

So yeah, hope someone can give me some advice. I'm sorry if any of my questions are stupid, I'm very new to this and I learn best from being able to ask. I also find the more knowledge I have the more motivated I become.

Oh, right now i'm looking at the ZEMgear and Vibram's Five Toe.
Started T in July 2012
Had Top Surgery on May 23rd, 2013

Where the wild things are...
  •  

Bastian

Thanks for the reply! Can I ask what crab you are using? I found a store very near-by that's selling the Vibrams at 25% off but I could also order the ZEMgear's for relatively in-expensive as well. I also read that the ZEMgears tended to wear out fairly quick, it looks like the Vibrams are made of a bit more durable of a material. i still don't know which type i'd prefer though, love to hear some opinions of the two brands as well!
Started T in July 2012

•  

ford

If you haven't done any barefoot-ish running I urge you to break into it slowly. I have a pair of NB Minimus shoes that offer quite good protection from rocks, cold etc, but still allow for a natural footfall. I trail run in mine all the time (and I've had them on the treadmill). That said, I started just walking around in them, then jogging for a minute or two. Gradual anything helps prevent injury. Your best bet would be to get a  normal shoe and a more natural one and switch off, that way you can decide what you (your body) likes the most.

"Hey you, sass that hoopy Ford Prefect? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is!"
~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
  •  

Bastian

I don't really have the money right now to get both =/ As for the gradual thing, no problems there, I'm relatively unfit so right now all I'm really doing is walking with a little bit of jogging. However my future career will require me to be able to run and work in a regular shoe, that's why i'm curious about if I build myself up running in a barefoot, am I going to struggle when I have to switch over to a regular shoe? Or will it be easier? Or harder?

The more I read about barefoot running (and minimalist running) the more I feel inspired to work towards my goals. The idea of running as naturally as possible (in our current day environment) is alluring. I can picture the joy of running through the woods in minimalist shoes this summer and I find myself attracted to it.

So i guess over-all I am pretty set on running in a barefoot shoe. I suppose later on when I have the funds I could pick up some nice regular running shoes as well to add to my training regime. So I guess for now it's just trying to decide which pair to get... Right now i'm looking at the ZEMgear Terra's and Vibram Fivefingers Komodos.....
Started T in July 2012

•  

Kevin Peña

Holy moly! These! Screw normal shoes!
  •  

Penny Gurl

I own a pair of those Vibrums and once you get used to them they are AWESOME
"My dad and I used to be pretty tight. The sad truth is, my breasts have come between us."

~Angela~
My So-Called Life
  •  

Penny Gurl

Ok, to the OP.  I have been a runner in some form since High School when I ran on the cross country team... If you are new to running know that once you get used to running in one type of shoe it will feel like you have to relearn how to run when you switch.  Example, even some brands will affect your foot placement in your stride.  Since you mentioned that you will be running over many different types of terrain then you may want to stay away from the five finger Vibrums, although I love the pair I own I never run in them.... The simple reason for that is because you will feel EVERYTHING.  Every stone, twig, stick ect.  Also the way you run in a "shoe" like that is different then when you run with a running shoe.  The bare foot shoes work with your foot and the best way to run in them is to use the body mechanics that nature designed, landing more with your toes to spread out the impact out.  With a running shoe they are designed to be landed on the heel and then roll your foot to the toe.  If you have a previous injury then I would also lean towards a traditional running shoe as they will provide a solid and wider surface to pant on and more stability.  I have rolled my foot a few times in the barefoot shoes.. Ouch!   One of the primary things to consider is the way the actual shoe fits your foot.   Runners need a snug shoe with no wiggle that fits the foot shape.  Each brand is cut slightly different and even the amount of arch supports will vary.  For the longest time I would only run in Nike Airs because you could change the type of arch support that the shoe came with, with out using a separate insole.  With running shoes I'm a very firm believer that you really do get what you pay for, some shoes will feel like bricks compared to others while some will cramp your toes but be wide at the ball of your foot..ect, ect, ect... If you have NEVER bought serious running shoes then I would find a RUNNERS shoe store, not a big box store, and try on every shoe till ou find the fit, style and price range that works best for you... The once you know what you like... Buy online and save some cash!  Best luck, and remember if you decided to do serious endurance running be prepared to replace your shoes almost every season.  Best wishes.
"My dad and I used to be pretty tight. The sad truth is, my breasts have come between us."

~Angela~
My So-Called Life
  •  

Bastian

Thanks for that informative reply. There are a few running stores (private owners) in my city that I was planning to go to to get accessed for what kind of running shoe to get if I went with a running shoe, then depending on the price in store I was going to do what you suggested and go online to buy, glad I was on the right track with that!

I'm kind of thinking maybe i'll buy a really good running shoe and then pick up one of the older types of ZEM Gear that are on sale right now for about 30$ (with 10$ shipping that's not too bad at all) so I can have a good running shoe, since it is still very snowy here anyways but have a lower end 'beginner' barefoot shoe so I can see if I like the style at all.

Do you think it would be beneficial to switch on and off? Do one day's run in a barefoot shoe, the next in a running shoe and so on, so I build up the different muscles required for each shoe? That way also adding variety to my runs?
Started T in July 2012

•  

Penny Gurl

As far as switching on and off you may get some benefit of building up your foot muscles.  I did notice that the five fingers that I had eventually made my feet a bit wider.  Not drastically.  But during summ I wore them as my everyday shoe.  Well unless it was rainy out, I have a thing for keeping my feet dry. So if you wear a bear foot shoe more often be prepared for your feet to spread out a little, and they will be very sore to start with, it sounds odd but we just don't use our feet they way they were meant to be used, so some adjustment will be needed.  But slow and steady is the key for either type.  If you push too much you'll do damage, get discouraged, and then those fancy new shoes will be collecting dust in the closet.  Be careful and work on a training plan.  Running stores can be a great resource especially if they are a smaller private store because usually the staff are avid runners themselves and can offer some real world and local advice.

~Angela~
My So-Called Life
  •  

DriftingCrow

Everyone has given great advice, but I'll add that you should (whether you decide to go barefoot running or not) to strengthen up some of your foot muscles by doing some balancing exercises, like the yoga tree pose.

Runner's World magazine awhile back also had a great segment on barefoot running, they probably still have articles about it up on their website.
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

Bastian

Thanks Learned Hand, I ride horses three-five times a week so my balance is spot on ;) I will try to find that runner's world article though. I'm going to go this coming week to a couple stores in town and try on the Vibram Five Finger (no ZEMgear in my town) and get fitted for some proper running shoes.
Started T in July 2012

•  

DriftingCrow

Quote from: Bastian on March 02, 2013, 09:39:27 AM
Thanks Learned Hand, I ride horses three-five times a week so my balance is spot on ;) I will try to find that runner's world article though. I'm going to go this coming week to a couple stores in town and try on the Vibram Five Finger (no ZEMgear in my town) and get fitted for some proper running shoes.

The balance exercises aren't really for balance (well they are  :P but we have a different purpose here), it's for strengthening up the little muscles and tendons in your feet that get weak from not being used due to shoes. If you try the tree pose barefoot, you'll notice all those little muscles and tendons moving around.

here's the tree pose: http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/496
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

Bastian

Just wanted to update I ended up buying the vibram five fingers Komodo. I really like them. The first day I wore them around the house I thought I might return them. I was recovering from a shin split so my left foot felt all cramped up in the shoe and I felt miserable. But I've kept wearing them over the past five days and they are getting more and more comfy. They feel very sturdy but I can still wiggle my toes and have the same balance I have barefoot. They might be a bit thicker on the soles than I would have preferred but they will definitely protect me from rough gravel and sharp rocks/sticks.
Started T in July 2012

•  

DriftingCrow

Quote from: Bastian on March 19, 2013, 01:15:32 PM
Just wanted to update I ended up buying the vibram five fingers Komodo. I really like them. The first day I wore them around the house I thought I might return them. I was recovering from a shin split so my left foot felt all cramped up in the shoe and I felt miserable. But I've kept wearing them over the past five days and they are getting more and more comfy. They feel very sturdy but I can still wiggle my toes and have the same balance I have barefoot. They might be a bit thicker on the soles than I would have preferred but they will definitely protect me from rough gravel and sharp rocks/sticks.

Do they seem easy to clean? I am going to be doing a mud race in September and there's no way I am going to wear my regular running shoes.
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

~RoadToTrista~

Quote from: Kevin Peña on February 28, 2013, 03:33:53 PM

Holy moly! These! Screw normal shoes!

Those are weird. I don't like the feeling they make between your toes.
  •  

Bastian

Quote from: LearnedHand on March 19, 2013, 03:43:05 PM
Do they seem easy to clean? I am going to be doing a mud race in September and there's no way I am going to wear my regular running shoes.

As per the instructions, just throw them in the wash then hang to dry =) If they were super muddy i'd hose them off first. They seem like they would clean and dry very quickly.

Quote from: ~RoadToTrista~ on March 19, 2013, 03:52:53 PM
Those are weird. I don't like the feeling they make between your toes.

They really aren't that bad. The first few days it really bugged me and I thought i'd take them back but by the third/fourth day I didn't even notice and when I did focus on the feeling I actually found it was a really pleasant feeling, like wet sand between your toes on a beach.
Started T in July 2012

•