Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Pikermi

Started by KelKel, March 20, 2013, 10:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KelKel

I am running a pikermi (major props to anyone who knows what that is without the use of Google) in August and am training my little butt off to do well.  I ran my first one last year and didn't do quite as well as I would have liked even though I did better during training than in the actual race.  Then I got some sort of serious lung infection which knocked me out of running for a couple of months and by that time,  winter had arrived so I ended up taking most of the winter off.  But now I am back at it and it feels like starting over from scratch. Now that daylight savings time is here,  it is MUCH easier to get out and train.  August,  here I come.  And  2 hour mark?  You're going down
"I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do." - Helen Keller
  •  

Devlyn

TOS paragraph 171.94, subsection C, parts v, vii, and xi say you can't post words I don't know.  :police:

And I haven't googled it yet! Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

KelKel

The name Marathon comes from the legend of Pheidippides, a Greek messenger. The legend states that he was sent from the battlefield of Marathon to Athens to announce that the Persians had been defeated in the Battle of Marathon (in which he had just fought)It is said that he ran the entire distance without stopping and burst into the assembly, exclaiming "νενικηκαμεν' (nenikekamen)", ("We wοn"), before collapsing and dying. The distance from Marathon to Athens was 26.2 miles. Therefore,  races that are  26.2 miles are named  Marathons.  However,  on that famous run there was passed a small town at about the halfway point named Pikermi.  This distance is  13.1 Miles and what previously had been referred to as  *half *marathons  can be referred to as a Pikermi.

13.1 Miles Should Not Be Considered "Only Half" Of Anything! After all,  they don't have a 10k and a half  10k....  No they have a 5k
"I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do." - Helen Keller
  •