Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Let's bake!

Started by Jamie D, March 08, 2013, 11:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamie D

I am not talking about a nice suntan  >:-)

Instead, I am talking about a wonderful hobby that is both therapeutic and delicious.  :P  There is something about bread, or pastries, or cakes, or pies, or cookies baking that soothes the soul.  It is the smell of bread baking that conjures up pleasant old memories.  A nice fruit pie cooling in the kitchen on Thanksgiving day.   A birthday cake with a few candles and a happy greeting!

And there comes a certain satisfaction of actually creating something with your own hands, rather than going to the grocery store and buying it.  Kneading the dough.  Carefully watching it rise as the yeast performs its magic.  The smile that comes over the faces of everybody when you offer them a nice warm chocolate chip cookie.  It is a great feeling!!

Baking does not have to be intimidating either.  Just about anyone can become a baker, and bakers are everybody's friends.  ;)

So this topic is for friends and fellow hobbyists, and even our professionals.  Share with us, if you would like, your favorite baking recipes.  They can be easy, or they can be hard.  I am sure they will all be delicious.

I start with an easy one.

Nun's Puffs

Ingredients

Soft butter to grease muffin tins
1/2 cup butter
1 cup milk
3/4 cup all purpose flour
4 eggs
1 tblsp granulated sugar
Honey

Method

Grease twelve 2 1/2 inch muffin tins, including the top surface.
Pre-heat oven to 375F.

In a saucepan melt 1/2 cup butter.
Add milk and bring to boiling over medium heat, taking care not to scald.
Add flour and stir vigorously with a wooden spoon.
Continue to stir until the mixture forms a ball that does not separate.
Remove from heat and cool for about 5 to 7 minutes (so as not to cook the eggs, next step).
After cooling period, begin to thoroughly stir in one egg at a time, until all four are incorporated.

Divide the dough evenly among the 12 muffin cups.  Fill each about 2/3rds full.
Sprinkle with sugar.

Bake at 375F for 30 minutes, or until golden brown and puffy.
Remove from pan to serving plate(s).
Drizzle with honey.
Serve warm

•  

kira21 ♡♡♡

Photos please :-)

-- Oh yay! Photos magically appear!  :-)

Shantel

Gee, at first I thought you said let's get baked!  :icon_peace:

In the baking arena I'm more inclined to be on the appreciative end. Although my long distance vision is a bit foggy I can spot freebie cookies at the other end of a superstore on the bakery department counter and  I hold the record time at getting there. I can pretend to take only one under the watchful and critical eye of bakery department personnel while successfully palming three extras for consumption later on in my shopping trip down the aisles.

I did have a bread maker a few years ago and made some wonderful breads, some great with morning coffee, but alas I began to wear the results and gave the machine to Goodwill so someone less fortunate could get fat.
  •  

Jamie D

Always the altruist, Shantel!  :angel:
  •  

Devlyn

My simple recipe outsimples yours!

•  

Jamie D

For a simpleton like me, that's perfect!
  •  

Devlyn

A batch of Daisies costs around a dollar, and truthfully they taste like it. Now make them with a child, maybe a grandkid, and they're magic. Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Shodan

I can't ever think of baking without linking this Youtube video:

Yum, yum, and YUM!

•  

Lyric

I bake about once a week, but my effort consists of simply tossing incredients into a bread machine and pushing the buttons. I don't do anything special with it, but prefer basic whole wheat made with molasses. If you don't have a bread machine, I really recommend it. Mine's a Panasonic SD-YD250 and has worked perfectly (and weekly) for some 8-9 years now.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: Shodan on March 08, 2013, 05:44:08 PM

Yum, yum, and YUM!

I'm still giggling! Thanks for posting that. Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Joelene9

I'm still suspect of the brownies my 60's hippie friends make, especially those who are growing things other than veggies in their basements!   

Joelene
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Shodan on March 08, 2013, 05:44:08 PM

Yum, yum, and YUM!

You know, I have a recipe for Triple Fudge Brownies somewhere ...
  •  

Mohini

LOL My baking is always a work in progress. I'm always trying out new recipes, and my baking is generally egg-free due to religious reasons!

A few days ago, I tried another hand at making cinnamon buns for my boyfriend, which he seemed to enjoy! I don't have fancy machines, so baking bread from scratch, which I've tried, takes a little more effort.

I also never measure my baking, like when I make pies! ;) Otherwise, I love trying out new recipes, although I am trying to be healthier!

Here's a nice recipe that I've loved!

Simple Shortbread

* 1 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/2 cup icing/confectioner's sugar
* 1/4 cup cornstarch
* 1/2 cup butter, room temperature

You can also add vanilla essence, almond essence, cumin, orange zest, etc. Whatever suits your fancy!

Preheat oven to 350F.

In a bowl, mix together first three ingredients. Then with a fork or one's hand, mix in the butter until you get a soft dough. If it is too dry, add more butter; if too wet, add more flour.

Roll dough pieces into a small balls and slightly flatten them. Place them on a baking sheet and smoosh them with a fork or your hand, being up to 1/2 inch thick.

Place in your preheated oven and bake. When you see a slightly browned edge, take out of oven immediately and let them cool down. Place them on a decorative dish and serve!
  •  

Madisyn

Those look awesome.  I do enjoy a bit of baking myself.
  •