Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Comment on this

Started by Leigh, September 20, 2005, 11:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis

I don't think I understand it. Is Stevie FtM, MtF, or neither and the other character's making fun of Stevie because he/she doesn't fit the gender profile to which he/she is supposed to belong?

If the latter, it's farking offensive.

Dennis
  •  

Sophie

I think Stevie is ftm, or just a tomboy. Whichever, it's not very nice or at all funny. >:(
  •  

Sarah Louise

Sorry, I don't understand it either.  I have no idea what the author is trying to say.

It does seem to be an offensive comic strip.

Sarah
Nameless here for evermore!;  Merely this, and nothing more;
Tis the wind and nothing more!;  Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore!!"
  •  

KelliTGirl

Agreed. The author leaves too much up to the reader to decypher.
  •  

Cassandra

Okay I went through the previous comics. Apparently Teena is a girl. She is not a transgender. The Sister has apparrently let the twins she is babysitting believe that Teena is her brother and that the brother is transsexual. Hence Teena walks off in a huff. The comic is in poor taste and uses transsexualism as a cruel joke on the sister.

Cassie
  •  

stephanie_craxford

Hey there everyone,

I read and concluded the relationships in the comic as Cassie did.  I don't really believe that this has anything to do with transsexualism or any pokes at trans folk.  I think that it would be the kind of comment that any siblings would throw at each other.  There is no mention of transsexuals, gender, ftm, mtf.  At my son-in-laws stag his best men dressed him as a woman, in slutty cloths, and paraded him around the club all night.  They didn't mean to offend anyone, and neither did my son-in-law, it was just fun.  In both cases I was not offended.

Just my thoughts,

Steph
  •  

Kimberly

I gather that the "Wed Sep 21,12:00 AM ET" edition is not the one in question.
Hum, "Tue Sep 20,12:00 AM ET" must not be it either..
*shrug* "Mon Sep 19,12:00 AM ET" ...

I think I missed it.

I don't care for the artwork in any case.
  •  

beth

it seems to me Teena, a female, is 12 (as in pre teen) and is being teased by her older sister about her lack of breast development, tomboy look etc. i think the comic is geared toward the pre teen girl who would understand the humiliation of the "stevie" and the SRS crack. it just shows how much of the world views us, a target that is fair game for any percieved humorous crack no matter how hurtful, mentally or physically it is to us. i know how hurtful this would be when read by a 12 ish transsexual who already has an unbearable burden for such a young age. the author should be ashamed of herself     >:(

beth
  •  

stephanie_craxford

Pretty cute,

I still have no problem with this comic strip.  :)

Chat later

Steph
  •  

Dennis

Yeah, I preferred this later installment. Thought it was cute. Your attitude is great Steph. I agree, finding humour is better for my own mental health than finding offence.

Dennis
  •  

beth

I guess i'm reading a different comic than most, it seems to me that this strip....

http://news.yahoo.com/comics/uclickcomics/20050920/cx_pr_uc/pr20050920

refers to transsexuals (who else gets a sex change?)

i agree that this isn't something that will make a difference to us 30...40... or 50 somethings but this is a comic targeted to kids that makes light of transsexuality, makes it something to joke about. If you see no harm in that i guess you are entitled to see it that way.   what affect does this have on attitudes of children when they eventually encounter a real transsexual?      just something to smirk about right?

beth
  •  

Sarah Louise

I don't know, I just looked at the two strips that followed the "controversial" one, and they seem to make it very clear that it has nothing to do with Transsexualism. 

I mean, after all the sister comes right out and says they don't think your a boy.  I guess it does sound like joking from an older sister with an mean streak.

Sarah
Nameless here for evermore!;  Merely this, and nothing more;
Tis the wind and nothing more!;  Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore!!"
  •  

ILoveTSWomen

My take may be a little different..

Right off the bat the page name, "Pre Teena" offended me..

I am no way, no how into children..
Just my opinion
Dennis
  •