Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Medical condition or lifestyle choice?

Started by suzifrommd, April 11, 2013, 09:12:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is Transgender a medical condition or a lifestyle choice?

Medical Condition
Lifestyle Choice

karevsparks

It wasn't a choice. If I had the choice, I'd be a cismale. But I'm not. I'm a trans man.  Also, I don't believe that because I'm trans, I'm 'ill'. So I don't believe in either point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

traci_k

No one chooses to be trans. Who in their right mind would choose to have a higher possibility of losing family, job and income, friends, getting assaulted and battered, murdered; losing male privilege (?), losing muscle so you can't defend yourself as well and all for what? Kinkier sex? That doesn't even make sense. Wouldn't be a fair trade off.

If it was a choice, as I told my therapist, I'd choose to spend the money on a Corvette. It'd be cheaper than all the surgeries - and less painful.
Traci Melissa Knight
  •  

Jacqueline

The symptoms seem to always have been there. That strikes me as medical.

How I choose to live, not live, behave seems to be a lifestyle choice.
1st Therapy: February 2015
First Endo visit & HRT StartJanuary 29, 2016
Jacqueline from Joanna July 18, 2017
Full Time June 1, 2018

•  

Jen72

Actually it is a medical condition due to this simple way of looking at it.

Acton to change = Sanity
Inaction to change = Insanity/death

Sorry If that is a lifestyle choice I choose the life choice of living not going insane due to internal conflict and or death not to mention the societal view of us. Even if this was wildly accepted by society there is the most important person that needs to find the resolution to this conflict yourself and the cause is somehow at least some degree medical aka biological and physical variation in the brain. Not saying crazy just not average Cis basically.
For every day that stings better days it brings.
For every road that ends another will begin.

From a song called "Master of the Wind"" by Man O War.

I my opinions hurt anyone it is NOT my intent.  I try to look at things in a neutral manner but we are all biased to a degree.  If I ever post anything wrong PLEASE correct me!  Human after all.
  •  

JLT1

Quote from: Jessica Merriman on June 10, 2014, 11:28:02 AM
Medical condition definitely. Check out my male VS. female vital signs.

Male                               Female
BP 178/116                    BP 124/76
Pulse >110  (rest)           Pulse 78 (rest)
Blood sugar 200-750       Blood sugar 118
Sleep per night 2 hours   Sleep per night 71/2-8
Daily meds (12)              Daily meds (3) HRT
Nervous                         Calm
Isolated                          Outgoing
Suicidal                          Well adjusted

Wow.....

Looks familiar but even worse than I.... Way to go..

Hugs

Jen
To move forward is to leave behind that which has become dear. It is a call into the wild, into becoming someone currently unknown to us. For most, it is a call too frightening and too challenging to heed. For some, it is a call to be more than we were capable of being, both now and in the future.
  •  

Kylo

I guess this would be like saying:

getting cancer isn't a choice, but choosing to get cancer treatment is a lifestyle choice.

Being trans is a medical condition, and while the 'choice' is whether or not you treat it or let it drive you to misery, it's a bit of a loaded one, isn't it...? Like with the cancer.

If I met someone who told me getting chemotherapy was a lifestyle choice, I'd laugh.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

Joi

IMO: Being trans is caused by a variation in the levels of hormones received in utero. The variations can be naturally occurring or externally induced. Although the variations are identified by medical professionals, I don't think they are a medical condition. I think that they just occur.  (the gender spectrum)  I think the medical condition comes into play when we struggle with dysphyoria and seek medical care. Most gender therapists advise us not to fight it and encourage self acceptance. It is when we make the decision to accept it and embrace it that the lifestyle issue is becomes evident.  Some of us transition and some don't or cannot. That's more of a choice issue. 

•  

Sharon Anne McC

My decision to make a 'choice' came toward the late end of a curious youth - childhood and teen years persisting in what was then called 'feminine protesting' - repeated tantrums, outbursts, and arguments with my family of my asserting my female-hood ('I AM a girl, Mom!') despite that 'M' on my personal documents.

My transsexualism and my feminine protesting convinced physicians to put me under fluoroscope, the knife, and conduct other determinants leading to their conclusion that indeed I am female inter-sexed, an anatomical situation, not a 'choice', unless my mind 'chose' to organise my anatomy in different ways while in utero by the third month into gestation.

Armed with that information, I 'chose' to wear my 'hysterectomy scar' as my badge of honour, I 'chose' to continue my transition, and I 'chose' a corrective procedure that helpt resolve my anatomy and identity.

My specific case - inter-sexed female - could be defined as a 'medical condition'.  I learned from one set of resources over the years that many inter-sex people are satisfied to 'choose' to remain the sex the birth doctor assigned to them at birth.  I learned from other resources that other inter-sex patients 'choose' to change their birth assignment.

With that being a 'choice', I 'chose' to change the 'M' on my Birth Certificate to 'F'.  I 'choose' to have no regrets for my 'choices' concerning my 'medical condition'.

1956:  Birth (AMAB)
1974-1985:  Transition (core transition:  1977-1985)
1977:  Enrolled in Stanford University Medical Center's 'Gender Dysphoria Program'
1978:  First transition medical appointment
1978:  Corresponded with Janus Information Facility (Galveston)
1978:  Changed my SSA file to Sharon / female
1979:  First psychological evaluation - passed
1979:  Began ERT (Norinyl, DES, Premarin, estradiol, progesterone)
1980:  Arizona affirmed me legally as Sharon / female
1980:  MVD changed my licence to Sharon / female
1980:  First bank account as Sharon / female
1982:  Inter-sex exploratory:  diagnosed Inter-sex (genetically female)
1983:  Inter-sex corrective surgery
1984:  Full-blown 'male fail' phase
1985:  Transition complete to female full-time forever
2015:  Awakening from self-imposed deep stealth and isolation
2015 - 2016:  Chettawut Clinic - patient companion and revision
Today:  Happy!
Future:  I wanna return to Bangkok with other Thai experience friends

•  

Endless Rain

Quote from: Sarah Louise on April 11, 2013, 09:18:01 AM
Why would someone "choose" this?

Exactly, if I was given a choice, I would obviously choose not to have any dysphoria. I wish I could just take a pill or something to make myself cis, but we don't know nearly enough about the brain to try, much less do it safely. It'll take us until the 22nd century at the very least, leaving transitioning as my only option.
  •  

Joi

Hi! You have a lot to learn.  We all did and do!  Still! google the AMA web cast from 2011 that focuses on Sexual Preference and Gender Identity.  That's a good start! This may open your eyes a little wider on how and who we are!
Hugz!

•  

CynthiaAnn

I voted in the overwhelming majority in this poll. I treated my condition medically and it worked quite nicely, thanks. There is the social aspect of transitioning that is certainly a separate dynamic.

The reverse question seems obvious but I'll ask the rhetorical question, who would choose this ?

C -
  •  

SeptagonScars

Well I think it's more complicated than that, and actually all three (medical condition, lifestyle choice and movement) apply, in some way or another. Cause the way I see it being trans and dealing with that situation entails several different aspects:

1.) Psychological, by which I mean anything that can be construed as gender dysphoria, gender euphoria, the wish to transition, the wish to pass and/or live as the other sex, etc. Not everyone refers to this the same way, but you get the gist.
- I think that at least the dysphoria part here is a "medical condition," but just wanting to be true to yourself, isn't necessarily. This entire aspect is quite individual, I believe, and I don't think it's a choice.

2.) Transition which is the action of making changes to your life to improve it gender-wise (often to reduce dysphoria and be true to yourself) which is anything from presenting as the other sex, name change and pronoun change to medical stuff like hrt and surgeries, to also legal stuff like changing the gender marker.
- I don't think it's entirely incorrect to call this aspect a "lifestyle" although that term has negative connotation (as to imply it's not a vital choice) and I don't call it that (I simply refer to it as transition), but in the sense that it's a way of life that most people do not embark on... sure.

3.) The social consequences. By that I mean anything from stuff like facing transphobia from friends and family, coworkers, strangers on the streets, etc, to bigger scale issues like bigoted laws and widespread transphobia, and much more. Issues like these and more is largely why the trans community started.
- The trans community (or the T in LGBT) in this aspect is what's considered the "movement," generally. As in being trans isn't a movement, but fighting for our rights and more acceptance is.

But to answer the question of if simply being trans - and not the consequences of being trans - is a movement, lifestyle choice, or medical condition: I'd say it's a medical condition.
Mar. 2009 - came out as ftm
Nov. 2009 - changed my name to John
Mar. 2010 - diagnosed with GID
Aug. 2010 - started T, then stopped after 1 year
Aug. 2013 - started T again, kept taking it since
Mar. 2014 - top surgery
Dec. 2014 - legal gender marker changed to male
Jul. 2018 - came out as cis woman and began detransition
Sep. 2018 - stopped taking T and changed my name to Laura
Oct. 2018 - got new ID-card

Medical Detransition plans: breast reconstruction surgery, change legal gender back to female.
  •  

MeTony

For me, it's not a matter of choise.

I used to drink alcohol and use morphine pills to forget myself. Escaping myself was a fulltime job. Was also a Workoholic for a while when I was sober. I have 3 suicide attempts. The last one put me in locked psych ward for 6 months in 2010-2011.

That is when I realized I have no choise. Live as a man or die miserable.

I got the diagnose "Transsexual" a month ago. This is a medical condition. It is treated medically, HRT and corrections.

I can't imagine transsexuals would be that of curiosity or "for fun". I can't see this as a lifestyle choise.

But the transgender spectrum is wide. That includes all trans experiences. Maybe someone would say it is a lifestyle choise. But a lifestyle choise is not lethal.

Tony
  •