Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Did you know that April was 'National Grilled Cheese Month'?

Started by Jamie D, April 01, 2013, 03:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamie D

Perhaps my favorite comfort food, the grilled cheese sandwich with a hot bowl of soup, has been a staple at my house for years.

Here is an article from the Washington Post, listing place in that area which have the best grilled cheese sandwiches:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/going-out-guide/wp/2013/04/01/let-us-celebrate-national-grilled-cheese-month-with-adding-of-cheese-to-bread/?wprss=rss_local

European friends and members anywhere, join in!

http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/b/2013/03/30/april-is-national-grilled-cheese-month-in-the-u-s.htm

What is your favorite version?  Which bread and which cheese(s)?  Do you butter the bread, or butter the grill?  Panini-style, George Foreman grill, or use a press?

And what is you favorite accompaniment?

Mine is grilled sharp cheddar and Monterey jack on sourdough, bread buttered, with chicken corn chowder.  Mmm, mmm, good.
  •  

Jamiep

We sisters are alike. I didn't know grilled cheese had a month, neat. It is a comfort food staple for me too. I'm very basic. White bread, extra old cheese flavor, grilling in a buttered pan.
Yum.
Jamie
We are made of star stuff - Carl Sagan
Express Yourself
Own your zone
  •  

couch tater

I use white bread with either American cheese or sharp cheddar. I melt my butter(none of that nasty margarine crap in my house, thank you very much) in the pan and sop it up with one side of each piece of bread, then after I have everything wet and soggy with butter, I grill them up til they are my preferred doneness, then I eat them, sometimes with a pickle or two on the side.
  •  

Devlyn

"I melt my butter(none of that nasty margarine crap in my house, thank you very much)"

Amen! Nothing but butter here, too!
  •  

Sweet_Steffy_Bee

Yay grilled cheese!! :D

I like mine with butter on the bread, and any type of cheese. I could eat cheese until my heart exploded!! Then while it is grilling, I cover the pan so the heat gets that cheese all melty!!

Almost always have it with creamy tomato soup and cheezits.

Sometimes I will put strawberry preserves inside. Such a delicious sweet and salty contridiction!! It's like a poor girl's Monte Cristo
Just another girl screaming to be herself.
  •  

V M

I usually make mine pretty much like the one pictured in the article but I like trying various types of cheese slices to switch it up a bit  :)

The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

couch tater

Quote from: V M on April 01, 2013, 06:18:31 PM
I usually make mine pretty much like the one pictured in the article but I like trying various types of cheese slices to switch it up a bit  :)

That looks like a toasted bacon and cheese sandwich to me. Grilled cheeses should be nice and flat, like the Earth.
  •  

V M

Sometimes I do make 'em flat  :)  I'll lightly butter the bread, add a thin coat of mayo, the cheese and fry it up and have it with a bowl of Campbell's bean and bacon soup

Another version of the 'flat' grilled cheese I'll have with clam chowder features tarter sauce rather than mayo
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Ms. OBrien CVT

I use mayo for my grilled cheese.  It browns nicer than butter or margarine.   And a bowl of tomato soup, with butter and a little cream.  Yummies

It does not take courage or bravery to change your gender.  It takes fear of living one more day in the wrong one.~me
  •  

Shantel

Quote from: V M on April 01, 2013, 06:39:05 PM
Sometimes I do make 'em flat  :)  I'll lightly butter the bread, add a thin coat of mayo, the cheese and fry it up and have it with a bowl of Campbell's bean and bacon soup

Another version of the 'flat' grilled cheese I'll have with clam chowder features tarter sauce rather than mayo

I like my toasted cheese sandwiches like Jaime makes them with a bowl of bean & bacon soup!
  •  

Jamie D

A chef friend of mine likes to make grilled cheese sandwiches on buttered whole grain wheat bread, but she uses Morbier cheese (hard to find), caramelized onions, and fresh thin-slice pear.  I have made it the same way, but substituted a similar cheese, Halvarti.

To die for.
  •  

Jamie D

I'm in SoCal, so we have a culture heavily influenced by Hispanic tradition.

So quesadillas count this month!

•  

jamielikesyou

Quote from: Ms. OBrien CVT on April 01, 2013, 06:56:10 PM
I use mayo for my grilled cheese.  It browns nicer than butter or margarine.   And a bowl of tomato soup, with butter and a little cream.  Yummies

So much this. Grilled cheese without tomato soup is like hotdogs without mustard.
  •  

Jamie D

Here is an interesting variation!

Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich (from Closet Cooking)

What better way is there to enjoy perfectly ripe tomatoes other than smothered in melted cheese along with some fresh homemade basil pesto in a sandwich that is grilled to perfection?

Servings: makes 2 sandwiches

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Ingredients

4 slices bread
    1 large ripe tomato, room temperature, sliced 1/4 inch thick
    1 ball fresh mozzarella, room temperature, sliced 1/4 inch thick
    4 tablespoons basil pesto
    pepper to taste
    2 tablespoons olive oil

Directions

Assemble sandwich and grill until golden brown and the cheese has melted, about 2-3 minutes per side.

•  

Jamie D

And lest I leave out the British Isles, let me present an long-time, open-faced sandwich classic -

Welsh Rabbit

Ingredients
4 pieces of hearty or rustic bread, thick-sliced
Butter
Beefsteak tomato, 1/4 inch slice
Thyme sprigs
Cheese sauce (below)

Sauce Ingredients
1/8 c. butter
1 tbsp. flour
1/2 c. flat beer or ale
1 tsp. dry mustard
Dash of cayenne
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
4 c. (1 lb.) grated sharp Cheddar cheese
1/8 tsp. paprika
2 whole eggs, beaten

Method
In a double boiler, with water boiling in the bottom section, melt the butter.
Stir in the flour to form a roux.
Add the beer or ale (best if flat).
Add the dry mustard, cayenne (to taste), and the Worcestershire sauce, mix well.
Add the beaten eggs, mix, and immediately add the grated cheese.
Continue to stir until the cheese is melted.
Correct seasonings.

The sauce should be thick, like gravy, but pourable.  If the mixture seems to thick, thin with a little whole milk or cream.

Assembly
Lightly grill or toast the buttered bread on both sides, and place in a broiler-proof pan.
Pour cheese sauce over the bread.
Place tomato slices on the bread.
Place under a broiler for about two to three minutes, until the tomato and cheese start to brown.
Plate, garnish with thyme, and serve immediately.

Okay, now some of you are going to say, "This is Welsh Rarebit."  Same thing, but "Rabbit" is the older, traditional name.
  •