Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Singing after glottoplasty

Started by Promethea, July 23, 2015, 10:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you still able to sing with your new voice after having a glottoplasty?

I can sing as good as I used to. I had my surgery with Dr. Kim.
0 (0%)
I can sing, but not as good as I used to. I had my surgery with Dr. Kim.
0 (0%)
I can't sing at all. Iad my surgery with Dr. Kim.
1 (100%)
I can sing as good as I used to. I had my surgery with Dr. Haben.
0 (0%)
I can sing, but not as good as I used to. I had my surgery with Dr. Haben.
0 (0%)
I can't sing at all. Iad my surgery with Dr. Haben.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Promethea

This question is only for those that used to sing with their male voice and had glottoplasty long ago enough for recovery (a year?).

If you never considered yourself a half decent singer, if you didn't have a glottoplasty or had a different voice surgery, or if you had one but are still recovering, please don't vote. I made it so you don't have to vote to view the results. The view results button is just below the poll box.

I only listed these two surgeons because they seem to be the most popular and probably the best for this procedure. If you had yours with a different doctor, please say so in the comments.
Life is a dream we wake from.

•  

Dena

I have been studying voice and singing because I had hopes I would be able to do it after surgery. Because my voice quality will not be improved after surgery there is a question of will it be a voice somebody would want to listen to or will it be reserved for the shower. Next item is the trainability of the person. A person must be able to control the voice and maintain the correct pitch. The ear of the person is important because you need to hear others and locate your voice correctly in relation to the other voices/music. It's a pretty sure bet that if you attempt singing before voice surgery and can't get it, you will not be able to do it after surgery. If you have natural ability, then after 9 months to a year of healing time, you should be able to do a pretty good job with it.

My voice will have tonal issues and as I lost any desire to sing when my voice broke into many pieces, I may just have to settle for a speaking voice and any singing I do will be away from the public. For me, the question is very much open as I have had no training and I am not sure about my natural ability.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

iKate

Dr Kim said I could try singing after 2 months. I believe Jenny said she could sing as well.

I am certainly looking forward to singing in the female range.
  •  

anjaq

I won't vote because I cannot really say I consider myself a halfway decent singer. I did participate in some group chanting after the 8 weeks period though and it was ok. The sound was fitting into the sound of the women I was singing with, but since it was a group I cannot really say how good it was really, but I could use the pitch range the other women used without problems. I still am not good in hitting notes correctly, which in this case was not so important and I do have some issues with singing in the range of my vocal break , which did not change a lot and is sitting at a stupid place for singing (D4). I do intend to do singing lessons and participate in more chanting circles and such in fall or winter maybe, when the voice should have recovered to the 9 month period, which sounds good to me as at that point I heard from most patients that their voices basically stabilized and only small gradual changes happed from there on.

I don't see much issues with singing - my head voice is better than my chest voice actually, what can occur and I hear dthat from a semi-pro singer is that diplophonia can be an issue for some. I guess this can be tackeled with voice therapy or training, though. It seems to originate in asymmetry issues.

•  

kwala

Quote from: Promethea on July 23, 2015, 10:05:41 AM
This question is only for those that used to sing with their male voice and had glottoplasty long ago enough for recovery (a year?).

If you never considered yourself a half decent singer, if you didn't have a glottoplasty or had a different voice surgery, or if you had one but are still recovering, please don't vote. I made it so you don't have to vote to view the results. The view results button is just below the poll box.

I only listed these two surgeons because they seem to be the most popular and probably the best for this procedure. If you had yours with a different doctor, please say so in the comments.

I can't vote because my surgery is not until the fall, but I sing now in a mezzo soprano range.  I'm getting this surgery mainly to raise my comfortable speaking range but I don't plan to give up singing and I'll be more than happy to share my experiences as I learn to navigate through my new voice.
  •  

evenstar

I can't vote because I had my glottoplasty with Prof. Remacle in Belgium and there is no category for him.

I am a professional musician (composer) and have some singing experience, even though this is not my main field. According to others, I had a decent male singing voice - which I absolutely hated of course. I also tried to sing in a female range before surger, with moderate success.

I am one year post-op now and I started to take singing lessons with a vocal coach. My goal is to write songs and be able to sing them myself.

So far I'd say that I can sing about as well as before my glottoplasty, but I have lost a few semitones in the upper range. I am trying to get them back with training but I'm not sure if that works. My vocal coach says she perceives my voice as mostly female, but I still perceive it as androgynous. It's the same perception problem as with my speaking voice.
  •