Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Yeson voice feminization surgery

Started by Jennygirl, April 22, 2013, 06:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shantel

Quote from: Sierra Belle on October 03, 2013, 11:23:24 AM
Resonance is literally the defining difference, IMHO.  You can have a high pitch with the typical chest resonance, and you'll just sound like a boy. Really though, it's usually good to start with a lower pitch than what your goal is and slowing creep your way up through comfort.  Don't just push it up there and fight for it, take it slow!

Oh, and here's where I'm at right now,  I thought about this surgery for a while, but anymore I think it'll be one of the last things I get done. Let me know what you guys think!
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0qvr5NWLunM

Good advice, love your voice!
  •  

Carlita

Quote from: Sierra Belle on October 03, 2013, 11:23:24 AM
Resonance is literally the defining difference, IMHO.  You can have a high pitch with the typical chest resonance, and you'll just sound like a boy. Really though, it's usually good to start with a lower pitch than what your goal is and slowing creep your way up through comfort.  Don't just push it up there and fight for it, take it slow!

Oh, and here's where I'm at right now,  I thought about this surgery for a while, but anymore I think it'll be one of the last things I get done. Let me know what you guys think!
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0qvr5NWLunM

That sounds totally feminine ... if you can maintain that voice without strain - and also cough, laugh, giggle and sigh in a female way then I don't see you'll need surgery. The only reason to do it would be to create the relaxation that comes from removing the lower register from your range. But really, you sound great!
  •  

Lexi Belle

Quote from: Carlita on October 03, 2013, 12:31:17 PM
That sounds totally feminine ... if you can maintain that voice without strain - and also cough, laugh, giggle and sigh in a female way then I don't see you'll need surgery. The only reason to do it would be to create the relaxation that comes from removing the lower register from your range. But really, you sound great!

Laughs hiccup very occasionally, but it's not enough to out me, I can sigh and cough feminine. (I do naturally)
It's pretty well replaced my old voice, I literally have to try to drop down now.  I was so excited when I realized I don't strain any more. :)

I also realized, I have a much better singing voice now than I did before.
Skype- Alexandria.Edelmeyer
  •  

Jennygirl

Sierra Belle- I like your voice a lot, it sounds very feminine. You definitely don't need voice surgery imo- especially if you can maintain and use that voice! My only constructive crit is to work a little bit on extending your pitch dynamics- it would add even more feminine sound to your voice. Your voice does pass as is, but it sounds slightly monotone. I am working on the same issue :)

As far as what my voice sounds like at lower pitches, no it doesn't sound the same. If I really opened up my throat a lot to increase resonance back to what it was (the muscles are now trained to stay in a certain position) it just sounds kind of like a girl trying to imitate a guy.. I think most of it is because things get a little raspy and it's obvious that I have no lower range. Also the slight thinning of the vocal cords may have something to do w/ it.
  •  

Lexi Belle

Quote from: Jennygirl on October 03, 2013, 12:50:55 PM
Sierra Belle- I like your voice a lot, it sounds very feminine. You definitely don't need voice surgery imo- especially if you can maintain and use that voice! My only constructive crit is to work a little bit on extending your pitch dynamics- it would add even more feminine sound to your voice. Your voice does pass as is, but it sounds slightly monotone. I am working on the same issue :)

As far as what my voice sounds like at lower pitches, no it doesn't sound the same. If I really opened up my throat a lot to increase resonance back to what it was (the muscles are now trained to stay in a certain position) it just sounds kind of like a girl trying to imitate a guy.. I think most of it is because things get a little raspy and it's obvious that I have no lower range. Also the slight thinning of the vocal cords may have something to do w/ it.

Yep, I was actually gonna say that but I cut it short.  I know my voice is very monotonous, but ya know. It's only been a few months, I think I'll get there eventually. It used to be A LOT worse!
Skype- Alexandria.Edelmeyer
  •  

sarahb

Quote from: Jennygirl on October 03, 2013, 01:59:14 AM
So a little story.. I got my new cell phone today (the galaxy note 3 - it is huuge and awesome!! ;)). I called AT&T because I wanted to change my phone number along with getting the new phone, and I verified all of my info using my old name because I still hadn't changed it. When I told the lady on the line that I wanted to change my number, she kind of laughed and asked me... "So be honest with me, are you just some crazy girlfriend trying to screw with your ex?"

She really doubted me at first, but then I told her that I was trans and that there was nothing I could do to sound any different because I had a voice surgery. After a few details about my transition, I finally made a believer out of her. She then became so happy for me that she ended up waiving the fee to change numbers and sent me on my merry way!

To avoid any further confusion, I also had her switch the name on the account. Another one down!

Kinda makes me laugh because I realized how easy it would be for someone posing as someone else to play a fake trans card over the phone. Like.. if I actually was just a crazy ex and told her I was trans to get out of being found out, someone could really wreak havoc on an account as long as they had the right information. Lol...

Either way, it is yet another shining example of how badly I male-fail all over the phone anymore. I was actually trying to lower my pitch a little bit at first and it still wasn't enough to make my voice be read as anything but female. I had to be down in the 150-160hz range because I also have a cold, but it still wasn't enough. This surgery is absolutely priceless, and I'm so incredibly happy for all of us that it exists.

Such a great story, and it shows just how successful the surgery was for you! By the way, not to keep bringing this up, but do you have plans any time to do another video, or at least a short audio clip? It'd be cool to see if there any changes from your 2-month video now that you are 4+ months post-op. And *ahem* how's that singing voice coming along :)

And congrats on the new phone. I have no clue how people tote around such huge phones lol.
  •  

Jennygirl

Well right now I'm in the middle of a cloggy sinus infection- all holed up in my room recovering. But if you are still curious to hear what I sound like while I'm a bit under the weather, here it is:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0zrQ0Wf3ca8

These are literally the first words I've said all day, so my voice is not even the least bit warmed up. The fundamental pitch is (as I expected) a little bit lower than normal for me and coming in at 193hz (normally I'm at 205hz for relaxed speaking). Still with the sickness and un-warmed-up voice, I have no pain or strain whatsoever. At least the cold decided to stay away from my throat this time :)

When I'm up to full steam I'll do another clip.. or perhaps a video. Right now, I would probably run away from any camera within a 20ft radius ;)
  •  

anjaq

That voice still is incredible. Cold or no cold. Wow, sooooo impressive. I think you also just have a beautiful voice in terms of tone and all that - no matter now pitch or surgery - it just is a very friendly voice you have there.
I think you lost resonance at one moment and it sounded basically just like you had a bit of a cold there which is what you do, not at all that what people keep saying that if one doesnt control resonance well or looses resonance control at some moments for any reason at all one sounds like "a guy trying to speak in a high pitch" - i dont think thats the case with you at all, Jenny, even if you loose some resonance control to the cold, so you are really lucky there. Congrats!

•  

Jennygirl

Quote from: anjaq on October 03, 2013, 06:58:23 PM
That voice still is incredible. Cold or no cold. Wow, sooooo impressive. I think you also just have a beautiful voice in terms of tone and all that - no matter now pitch or surgery - it just is a very friendly voice you have there.
I think you lost resonance at one moment and it sounded basically just like you had a bit of a cold there which is what you do, not at all that what people keep saying that if one doesnt control resonance well or looses resonance control at some moments for any reason at all one sounds like "a guy trying to speak in a high pitch" - i dont think thats the case with you at all, Jenny, even if you loose some resonance control to the cold, so you are really lucky there. Congrats!

Aw thanks Anja- I'm glad you like my voice and think it still sounds female :) I'm super happy with it, and to know that others like it too is part of where that happiness comes from. So thanks!!

What you said is very kind and brought a smile to my face on a sickly day. I really appreciate it.

I do think I hear what you mean with a moment of losing resonance. I think my sinuses being clogged are making praat do weird things. Spectral analysis says I'm in the 3.2-4.5k range for spectral power, and female voice is supposed to be 3.0-3.5. Actually the moment when I said "yesterday" (0:30) sounds like the best example, the resonance seems to drop a little but that was actually one of the highest frequency moments of spectral power which seems backwards. I was expecting to see 2.2k and instead it was 4.5k... quite possibly due to my sinus cavities being swollen and resonating a higher harmonic? Dunno for sure. It's interesting though :)
  •  

anjaq

Quote from: Jennygirl on October 03, 2013, 08:20:51 PM
Aw thanks Anja- I'm glad you like my voice and think it still sounds female :) I'm super happy with it, and to know that others like it too is part of where that happiness comes from. So thanks!!
Yes, you really dont have to worry at all. Its amazing :)

QuoteSpectral analysis says I'm in the 3.2-4.5k range for spectral power, and female voice is supposed to be 3.0-3.5.
I thought I'd PMd you about praat but maybe that got lost. Aksing how to use it properly for analysis. Can you give me a small bit here on how to use that spectral analysis you mentioned? How to get that reading and what it mens (and what to change to make it fit the desired range).
thx

•  

Carlita

Quote from: Jennygirl on October 03, 2013, 05:16:17 PM
Well right now I'm in the middle of a cloggy sinus infection- all holed up in my room recovering. But if you are still curious to hear what I sound like while I'm a bit under the weather, here it is:

These are literally the first words I've said all day, so my voice is not even the least bit warmed up. The fundamental pitch is (as I expected) a little bit lower than normal for me and coming in at 193hz (normally I'm at 205hz for relaxed speaking). Still with the sickness and un-warmed-up voice, I have no pain or strain whatsoever. At least the cold decided to stay away from my throat this time :)

When I'm up to full steam I'll do another clip.. or perhaps a video. Right now, I would probably run away from any camera within a 20ft radius ;)

Your vice sounds 100% feminine and it's not just the pitch, or resonance or any of the technical stuff, it's the actual way you speak ... the pace, word-patterns, intonation, slight moments of nervous hesitancy. I'd say it's really come on a long way since your operation and my guess is that it's all part of the process of relaxation. Like learning to drive ... there's a point when you just don't think about the pedals, the gears, the indicators, etc - you just drive. Now, you don't have to think about how you produce your voice. You just talk. And the more you talk with a woman's voice, the more your speech itself becomes female. It's cute!
  •  

sarahb

Quote from: Jennygirl on October 03, 2013, 05:16:17 PM

Yep, still sounds absolutely amazing Jenny! Even with you being sick it sounds perfectly female. I appreciate you doing a recording while you're all sick, and I hope you feel better soon!
  •  

Jennygirl

Ahh thank you both so very much!!!! :D That is great to hear!

I'll do another clip once I'm all better :)
  •  

Jennygirl

Quote from: anjaq on October 04, 2013, 02:29:31 AM
I thought I'd PMd you about praat but maybe that got lost. Aksing how to use it properly for analysis. Can you give me a small bit here on how to use that spectral analysis you mentioned? How to get that reading and what it mens (and what to change to make it fit the desired range).
thx

When I saw your PM I decided to make a tutorial. Then my internet went kablam, and I forgot to post it! Here it is (in the voice therapy forum):

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,150142
  •  

anjaq

Oh cool, Jenny, thanks :) I will check it out right away.
I dont know if I asked you that before but just because I tried some things while driving today with singing - there is that point where the voice breaks on the high pitch and then I think from there it goes into falsetto. I hit that when I tried to sing along with the Clockwork Dolls music I had in the car. I noticed that it breaks rather soon at a relatively low pitch. Did you notice any change in that point after your surgery? Maybe you notice while singing? You said that you can overall go more up in pitch at the upper end, but the upper end is already that falsetto - the intersting part would be if that breaking point changes and maybe if your research on the topic before you went to do it turned up anything along these lines? The general ssumption I read is that this surgery basically only cuts the lower part and maybe increases the all upper end a tiny bit. The reason is that if that breaking point stays, I probably should not aim for a pitch above 180Hz or so as speaking range as otherwise I would always hit that breaking point if I do use pitch shifts in speaking (you know - high pitch for some words or therelike). Thats true now if I try to shift pitch up from my rather low Hz speaking voice into something like 200 Hz - I end up rather low volume (that can be trained) but I also hit that upper limit when speaking. Mayve you have some info on that from your experience and the seemingly extensive pre-surgery research you have done on this :)

Thanks,

•  

jennifer@

First off I would like to thank Jenny for starting this thread and for sharing her VFS experience. It has been really helpful.

A little history about transition. I started my transition in 2010. After losing my job I went back to school and earned two degrees and got a new job with a great company that is TG friendly (my insurance also covers GRS). Things have finally started to come together and time is flying by. I'll be going to Korea in Dec of this year for my VFS. When I return I will be living full time as Jennifer. I'm not sure when to change all my state and federal ID's, before I leave or after I return. So I have a few questions for the ladies that have been to Korea.

1. Did you go to Korea as female? If so, did run into issue when trying to enter or leave, problems using your credit cards?   
2. What hotel would you recommend?
3. Places to eat?
4. Anything other things I should know that would help.
  •  

Paige0000

Quick question Jenny. I was wondering did this surgery help your ability to emit a high pitched feminine scream? I've always wished I had the ability to scream a high pitched scream just like a lot of females can but when I try raising my vocals to such a degree all I get is a squeak or no sound at all.
Be yourself regardless of what other may think of you. Tis your life not theirs. :)
  •  

Jennygirl

Anja- Your question about the range changes with Yeson I cannot fully answer yet, my range is still changing. They say that you don't lose any range at all.. and I'm still getting mine back.. so no way to tell for sure in my case yet. Full recovery is after 12months.

Jennifer- Yes, I was full time before I went to Korea. I did not have any issues except for my bank shutting my card down and not being able to talk to them to reactivate it. You aren't even allowed to whisper. Make SURE your bank knows you will be traveling and absolutely not to shut it off for any reason at all because it could be dangerous otherwise. Luckily I was with a friend, and she was able to spot for me. What a nightmare that was.

I would ask Abby what hotel she was at, it sounded a lot better than Hotel Prince in Myeongdong :)

Try everywhere for food. It's more about what you want to eat than where. I bet barbie has some great suggestions! I really like hot stone bimbimbap and korean bbq... those were my favorite meal experiences!

Paige- I am getting there, but it's more like a scream rather than a shriek. I think I still have a bit of range finding to do before I can shriek ;) Although i can make this squeaky noise that I never be able to make before. It's super high pitched (700hz-1000hz) and still pretty unexplored territory. Maybe that is the high range I've been looking for and I have to learn how to use it?
  •  

abbyt89

Quote from: jennifer@ on October 05, 2013, 08:05:23 AM
First off I would like to thank Jenny for starting this thread and for sharing her VFS experience. It has been really helpful.

A little history about transition. I started my transition in 2010. After losing my job I went back to school and earned two degrees and got a new job with a great company that is TG friendly (my insurance also covers GRS). Things have finally started to come together and time is flying by. I'll be going to Korea in Dec of this year for my VFS. When I return I will be living full time as Jennifer. I'm not sure when to change all my state and federal ID's, before I leave or after I return. So I have a few questions for the ladies that have been to Korea.

1. Did you go to Korea as female? If so, did run into issue when trying to enter or leave, problems using your credit cards?   
2. What hotel would you recommend?
3. Places to eat?
4. Anything other things I should know that would help.

Hey Jennifer! I think I can help answer some questions:

1. I did, yes. My original plan was to go to Korea, have the surgery, and then come back and present full-time. Then I decided I would just be full-time while in Korea, and then ultimately I just went full-time before I left lol. I had my passport updated to show my new picture, so even though I had a male name I had no issues with identification leaving or entering. Credit cards I had no issue using, but like Jenny said you must call your bank and let them know you are travelling to Korea so they won't automatically freeze your card once it's used.

2. I stayed at Gangnam Artnouveau City II. It's a very nice hotel very conveniently located in Gangnam at a pretty great price. I have some more information about the hotel and its location in my posts on this page of Sarah's Yeson thread: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,148880.40.html. And here's a link to the hotel itself:http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g294197-d1643621-Reviews-Gangnam_Artnouveau_City_II-Seoul.html

3. There are a million places to eat in Seoul! Just keep in mind that a lot of Korean cuisine is spicy and that you must avoid spicy food during the recovery. There are a ton of fast food restaurants and chain restaurants like Paris Baguette Cafe (sort of like Panera Bread) all around Seoul, and if you're more adventurous you can just wander any of the side streets and come across a ton of more authentic restaurants. The hotel I stayed in has a kitchen with fridge/freezer so you can also cook from there if you like.

4. It can be a little bit daunting getting around at first since everything is so different! But thankfully the subway is so easy to use and everything is written in English. Jessie is super helpful with everything so if you have any specific questions that we can't answer I'm sure she can help. Also Barbie is a seoul native who pops in this thread from time to time so maybe she can give you some advice too. And I know this thread is really long at this point but if you read through it you'll see a lot of helpful posts.

Good luck!
  •  

abbyt89

Oh and here's some more recordings for you guys :)

Here a message about how my voice is healing: https://soundcloud.com/abbyev89/susans-message-10-7-13

And here is a simple recording of me counting to give you an idea of how my voice has progressed: https://soundcloud.com/abbyev89/counting-timeline

The first one was recorded about 3 weeks post-op and was 140hz. The second one was at about 4 weeks and was 150hz, and then the last one was at about 7 weeks and was 175hz. I unfortunately don't have one from before surgery, but according to my patient file from the voice therapy I did it was at 115hz. So so far I've seen about a 60hz increase :D

•