Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Yeson voice feminization surgery

Started by Jennygirl, April 22, 2013, 06:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wynternight

Huge yays, Zoe!! I look forward to all the new discoveries of the new voice!
Stooping down, dipping my wings, I came into the darkly-splendid abodes. There, in that formless abyss was I made a partaker of the Mysteries Averse. LIBER CORDIS CINCTI SERPENTE-11;4

HRT- 31 August, 2014
FT - 7 Sep, 2016
VFS- 19 October, 2016
FFS/BA - 28 Feb, 2018
SRS - 31 Oct 2018
  •  

anjaq

Congrats! The soreness in the throat does not last long, amazingly. LOL, I think I was already out before they put the mask on ;)

It totally makes sense to take a taxi cab back to the hotel after the surgery. Its not that expensive and worth it , rather than using that subway with all its loooong corridors

•  

Teslagirl

Well done Zoe!!

How are you getting on now?

Quote from: Zoe Snow on May 07, 2015, 05:05:33 PM
I'm having surgery today at Yeson.  Can't believe its finally today, and in like an hour.
  •  

Teslagirl

Hello everyone.

I'm hoping to go to Yeson in July, and I have four questions:

Does anyone know what the weather is like in July?
Can you buy a travelcard like the Oyster card in London?
Is there a good hotel close to Yeson? The Philhouse seems a long way away...
With hotels, is a breakfast included in the rate like it is in the UK? (I just want to hibernate and not go out!)

Thank you,

Sarah
  •  

Teslagirl

Quote from: anjaq on February 14, 2015, 09:16:13 AM
What I heard is that if people have a good trained voice before VFS, there is a tendency that the change is not as large as one might hope for, but the way the voice is made is different. Easier, More natural. So especially Sarah and Amy had that experience, the voice itself from the outside did not change all that much, but it was just a lot easier to make that voice, it was no longer feeling like faking but just natural.

Anja, I have a trained voice and have been using it perhaps longer than most people here. I don't want to be disappointed by feeling there is no change. Do you think Dr Kim would be open to a 50% suture in someone like me to make sure I do get a change?

Thanks,

Sarah
  •  

anjaq

Hi Sarah.

Regarding the stay in Korea - you can buy a rechargeable subway card. It is about $3-$5 i believe which is not refundable but then you can put money on that card and just go through the subway gates and put the card on a reader and it will substract a reduced fare compared to the single tickets. You can also use that card for other transportation, like bus and taxi and I believe some shops also accept it.

The hotels near the clinic are rather expensive as it is in Gangnam. Since you will only be in the clinic 3 times, I am not sure if it is worth it. I would also not hibernate all that time - Seoul is way too interesting and honestly after a day or two you dont feel at all like you had surgery and would just get bored in the hotel. Phil House is about 30 minutes away from the clinic - by taxi or subway. I found this quite bearable, but getting to the interesting parts of the city took also that long, so that made it a bit of a less favourite location. It basically also only pays off if you are travelling with a friend since the rooms then dont cost more for 2 people as for 1 person. The breakfast is super simple though, but you have a fridge and washing machine and even a kitchen, so you can basically cook and prepare food yourself. We used the breakfast twice and the rest of the time had bread and stuff in the fridge for breakfast. Mainly because we tended to sleep until 10am ;) - Its not a comfortable room to stay all day long though, but they have a common lounge area and a rooftop terrace where they also offer BBQ.

Regarding your trained voice and your expectations - what expectations do you have - how is your trained voice like - is it much higher in pitch than your untrained voice? Is it in the normal female range? Do you feel it should be higher in pitch?
Part of the result seems to be that the sound of the voice changes (less undertones), it is easier to reach higher pitches and for example laughing changed for me. Another effect is that it is becoming natural to use the voice that before the surgery was the trained voice or elevated pitch voice. You certainly can increase this even more with using some of your voice training. I could probably with ease speak at a 240 Hz voice now if I really wanted to, but it would mean to elevate my voice again, so I don't.

I think you can discuss your expectations with Dr Kim. They will do the voice analysis first, determine your untrained pitch and your trained pitch (maybe try out your untrained pitch before the examination, so you are able to do it. For me it was really hard to do because I have not used that for 17 years really, except some few occasions pre op to measure my pitch in PRAAT) - the goal of Dr Kim then is to go up from your original pitch to above 200 Hz - if that is done with the 75 Hz he usually aims for, its ok. The length of the suture can be varied and I think he has some parameters that influence that. In my case for example it seems that because of the asymmetry of my vocal folds he had to use a bit more length and shortened it by something halfway between 1/3 and 1/2, probably around 40%. He will usually not really be in favour of pushing a voice way above the 200 Hz level, as this may be unnatural then.
If you can post your voice parameters, we can discuss them :)

•  

Zoe Snow

Quote from: Teslagirl on May 09, 2015, 12:51:53 PM
Well done Zoe!!

How are you getting on now?

I'm doing alright, though I think I may be catching a cold.  I woke up with a bit of a runny nose, and my throat is still a bit sore.  I contacted Jessie about it, and she pretty much told me to just take it easy and to keep taking all the meds they put me on as they were all designed to deal with cold symptoms. 

I think I may have pushed myself a bit too hard yesterday.  I spent the day with some people I met on the flight out here.  They were doing some touristy type things.  Today, with the cold symptoms, I've just been laying in bed all day watching movies.  Hopefully I'll be feeling better tomorrow, and I'll actually get outside and do a few things.  Kinda sucks to be in a foreign country, but stuck in bed trying to kick a cold.

As for where to stay out here, I found the subway to be an amazing form of transportation.  Yeson is about a 10 minute walk from the Apgujeoung station.  I'm actually not staying at a hotel while I'm out here though.  Turns out an entire social circle I had back home was made up of people who used to live out here teaching English.  They put me in contact with some of their friends who still live out here, and one of which offered to let me sleep on her couch.

Dr. Kim told me that my natural voice was around 150 Hz.  Pretty sure my natural voice was lower than that, but I haven't used it much over the last 9 months.  My trained voice came in at around 180 Hz.  He thinks I'll end up around 224 Hz once everything is fully healed and I've adjusted to the new voice.  He also said I have a tremor, and that I can't make any resonance frequencies.  I think those two may be related.  He wants me to start working with a speech therapist back home in a few months.
  •  

anjaq

Well the 224 Hz is pretty much the standard average calculation he uses. 150 Hz+74Hz=224 Hz. He always uses that number, but I think one has to take into account that the recording they do of the untrained voice is not always right. Especially if you have been using a feminized voice for a long time, its pretty hard to try and get to some old voice again, He determined mine to be 134 Hz, but I am sure that it was more like 110. So according to the average calculation then I should come out at 184 and not above 200 as he predicted. HOWEVER what I dont get about this is: Post OP you are supposed to use a female resonance and not the male phonation pattern. So in a way the comparison is a bit distorted since with a female resonance, I was not at 110 Hz or even 134 Hz but more around 150 Hz. So I am not sure about this calculation of adding 74 Hz. To me it seems that resonance would elevate the voice as well, so part of the pitch increase may come from the voice training and part is from the surgery - some have gained more than the 74 Hz by combining those two, those who have not done successful voice training seem to be below the 74 Hz increase...

I think it is safe to do touristy things at day 2-3 after the surgery. Before that I was just not in the mood and still having some soreness and was tired from the flight. The medication they use, especially that cough syrup seems to be pretty good. Also of course - lots of water ;) - I bought more expensive water though, the regular bottled water they sell there has next to no minerals in it. It tasted like distilled water and I felt like it made me more dry than moisturize me.

Have fun the next days but dont overdo it. I thought of the trip as mainly a surgery trip - with no sightseeing at all, just getting the surgery done and return. Any sightseeing that I could add to that, I regarded as a happy bonus :)

•  

barbie

Quote from: Teslagirl on May 09, 2015, 01:10:58 PM
Hello everyone.

I'm hoping to go to Yeson in July, and I have four questions:

Does anyone know what the weather is like in July?

Monsoon usually starts in July. In can rain all days, or hot and humid. Fortunately, Asian (yellow) dust is unlikely in July.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

Sunhawk

Had a flight delay in Denver and missed the connecting flight from Narita. Flight I am booked on was the next day and will miss my consult. Hope that there is some leeway with the consult. :(
The road I travel has no end and every step takes me further from my home.
  •  

Cadence Jean

Crossing my fingers for you, lady!
to make more better goodness

I have returned to recording on TransByDef!  Watch us at: https://www.youtube.com/TransByDef
  •  

Teslagirl

Quote from: Sunhawk on May 11, 2015, 04:38:29 PM
Had a flight delay in Denver and missed the connecting flight from Narita. Flight I am booked on was the next day and will miss my consult. Hope that there is some leeway with the consult. :(

Have you emailed them? They seem really nice people. I'm sure they'll find a way.

Sarah.
  •  

Teslagirl

Quote from: barbie on May 10, 2015, 11:02:04 AM
Monsoon usually starts in July. In can rain all days, or hot and humid. Fortunately, Asian (yellow) dust is unlikely in July.

barbie~~

Thanks Barbie. I'd better take my umbrella!

I'm having some trouble finding booking pages for hotels in English (for example the Ramada). You can select the English option but then the booking page is in Korean. Do you have any ideas?

Thank you,

Sarah.
  •  

anjaq

I hope the rescheduling works out. Better inform them really soon with email. Their schedule is really tight it seems and they are fully booked, the examination takes half of a day and is mandatory before the surgery, which is on the next day in the morning. Maybe you can go there directly from the airport or something? - I hope the best for you.

Regarding hotel booking. Phil House had a english speaking contact by email, other hotels seem to have that too, if you just email them in englisch, they will probably reply. You can of course also use the international websites like booking.com or tripadvisor or such, they usually have some function to make a booking online that is sent to the hotels with some protocol.

•  

Sunhawk

Thanks. Sitting here in Narita International Airport trying not to be bored out of my mind. :)

I emailed them last night once I got to the hotel. I haven't heard back yet, but wasn't expecting to until at least after 09:30 or 10:00.

And Phil House got back to me within about 30 min and said checking in a day late does not effect my reservation. Yay. :)
  •  

kaybeccab

Hey there! I found this forum looking for other girls who're going through this or have gone through this. I'm getting the surgery eventually. I have an interesting perspective on it since I have studied speech pathology. I'd like to offer some advice and words of warning, if that's OK:

This procedure won't automatically give you a female voice. The procedure raises the center of your vocal range. This does not give you the ability or the practice to do a female voice by itself. The surgery instead makes it significantly easier and more natural to do a female voice.

This is also, I suspect, why there are a lot of patients that say the surgery did nothing. If you have a rather large vocal range (Your voice can vary greatly in pitch):

Then your old voice will still be inside of your new, raised vocal range. If this is the case, your brain will habitually default to doing your old voice even if your vocal range is now female. That's also why there are cases of people's voices getting higher slowly after surgery. It's not a physical change in the vocal cords causing this slow change, the girl just has a larger vocal range that still includes her old voice and her brain is slowly getting used to the new center-point of the range.

What can you do to make sure your surgery goes smoothly? Know your voice! Get into voice acting/singing. Learn how your throat movies, learn what your voice does, test and learn your limits, and get into the habit of doing so so that you can test them again after your surgery!

Hope this helps.
  •  

Mariah

Hi Kaybeccab, welcome to Susan's. I look forward to seeing you around the site. Good luck and hugs
Mariah

Please check out the following links for site rules, helpful tips and other info...

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

barbie

Quote from: Teslagirl on May 11, 2015, 05:53:01 PM
Thanks Barbie. I'd better take my umbrella!

I'm having some trouble finding booking pages for hotels in English (for example the Ramada). You can select the English option but then the booking page is in Korean. Do you have any ideas?

Thank you,

Sarah.

Even young Koreans use hotel.com to find out hotels in Seoul. They offer better price options for hotel.com or other similar sites.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

Sunhawk

Finally made it to the hotel. And got my consult rescheduled for tomorrow. :)
  •  

iKate

Good news!!! They do seem to be super nice and accommodating. They probably slotted in someone in your slot.

One of the reasons I'm glad I got a direct flight. More money but worth it, IMO. Plus I get to ride KE's A380. 8-)
  •