News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

issues with holding your feminine voice

Started by Erin Kay Howell, April 14, 2013, 04:16:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erin Kay Howell

I smoke.

Im quitting of course but im wondering what effects that history of smoking might have on achieving a feminine voice.

Also due to working all night every two months I drink coffee like its going out of style.

Feedback?
I know who I am, and no one is going to tell me otherwise anymore.

•  

Joanna Dark

I don't think it will have any effect on your voice unless your developing some serious issue with your throat or lungs. Coffee shouldn't do anything.
  •  

Elsa

Actually smoking does affect your voice and gives it a raspy sound .
It does this by damaging your larynx

A lot of women - both cis and trans have difficulty with their voice if they have been smoking.

More info at: http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/tobaccocancer/womenandsmoking/women-and-smoking-health-effects

Smoking is a bad idea - can cause cancer such as breast cancer, throat and lung cancer.

I've lost a lot of friends and family members because of their smoking habits which eventually gave them the cancer that either killed them or forced them into a life-time of suffering.
Sometimes when life is a fight - we just have to fight back and say screw you - I want to live.

Sometimes we just need to believe.
  •  

Erin Kay Howell

I plan on quitting smoking tomorrow! Im going to be super b****y and irritable woot!
I know who I am, and no one is going to tell me otherwise anymore.

•  

Rachel

What I have learned:

Smoking puts dry smoke against the vocal folds. It irritates and inflames the vocal folds.
Caffine and carbonated beverages irritates the vocal folds
Water is best for the vocal folds for clearing the throught. Try not to clear your throught with air unless you have too, it caused the vocal folds to slap together.

HRT  5-28-2013
FT   11-13-2015
FFS   9-16-2016 -Spiegel
GCS 11-15-2016 - McGinn
Hair Grafts 3-20-2017 - Cooley
Voice therapy start 3-2017 - Reene Blaker
Labiaplasty 5-15-2017 - McGinn
BA 7-12-2017 - McGinn
Hair grafts 9-25-2017 Dr.Cooley
Sataloff Cricothyroid subluxation and trachea shave12-11-2017
Dr. McGinn labiaplasty, hood repair, scar removal, graph repair and bottom of  vagina finished. urethra repositioned. 4-4-2018
Dr. Sataloff Glottoplasty 5-14-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal in office procedure 10-22-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal revision 2 4-3-2019 Bottom of vagina closed off, fat injected into the labia and urethra repositioned.
Dr. Thomas in 2020 FEMLAR
  •  

ParadigmCrime

Smoking makes it harder for me to hold my voice where I -want- it.  Stay quit!

I have stoped and started smoking so many times.  Ive even quit for a year, and like a dumby started again. 
Not just free, but M***** F***** Priceless!
  •  

angiejuly

I have a med card here in Hawaii. When I medicate My voice goes horse for a wile. I cannot perform ( I play guitar and sing) after smoking either.  If you are developing still I think it would be very hard to even find your boice. I was silent in the female voice for 2 years straight. Now I sing great but talk androginous. But I live in Hawaii and we are a little more accepted here.  If passable voise is a goal then quit smoking. you can heal the damage. Love you!!
We must value ourselves to our attributes and contributions to others and environment and not our ability to aquire monitery value through means of greed and backstabbing. In this system the greedy would eat what the dogs dont want.
a blog on truth,   http://angiejuly.blogspot.com/
  •  

Catalina

I don't smoke, but I never really thought about coffee. When I took a voice therapy workshop for a little bit, although our teacher told us that coffee does irritate the vocal tract and is dehydrating, they still drank coffee anyways, lol.

Although the smoking thing, I would think it would affect those air passages...
"Live fully, love wastefully, and be all that you can be."
-- Bishop Spong
  •