Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Asparagus lovers, check this out!

Started by Tracey, May 12, 2013, 11:59:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devlyn

•  

DriftingCrow

ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

ZoeM

Reminds me of VeggieTales. That would be Archibald, right there.
Don't lose who you are along the path to who you want to be.

•  

Devlyn

Darn whippersnappers making me Google Archibald Asparagus and Veggietales and.... <wandering off muttering>
  •  

justpat

I really like asparagus  but when I pee it smells horrible! Looked it up seems like its caused by a
French gene which I have along with half a dozen other nationalities .
  •  

Devlyn

•  

Ms. OBrien CVT

Ooooo  What did you use for fertilizer?

It does not take courage or bravery to change your gender.  It takes fear of living one more day in the wrong one.~me
  •  

Devlyn

Nothing. Got a few minutes? There used to be houses on town land at the end of my street. Used to meaning that when I was a kid in the 1960s there was nothing but foundations left of the houses. Since then, the foundations have been removed and filled, it's conservation land now. One of the houses had an asparagus patch, and it's still there. This shoot came up from a root crown that I'm guessing is at least eighty years old. The twenty year old crowns in my yard produce lots of shoots, but it's all normal supermarket sized asparagus. I'm the only person in the world who knows this patch is there, and I pick it clean every spring!
  •  

DriftingCrow

Maybe I should plant some asparagus this year of next if it's too late now. I love it too, but thought it was a warmer-climate plant.
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

Devlyn

We're perfect for asparagus, it needs winter so it can die and send up new shoots.

Tip: Wal-Mart sells eight crowns for five dollars. Every year some of them go on clearance sale for two bucks. (I want my two dollars!) I'm a cheapskate, so I wait.

Disclaimer: Asparagus wants a big, big hole in the ground filled with manure and compost. It won't produce edible asparagus the first year (if you pick first year shoots you set the plant back) but can be picked lightly the second year.It will last decades, but shouldn't be moved, the roots are extensive but extemely fragile.

Confession: Yes, I'm a green thumb.
  •  

Misato

I just had the phrase, "Wow, that's a monster" go through my head.

Usually comments like that are reserved for those I know who deer hunt.
  •  

Devlyn

Remember Commander McBragg?

"Suddenly, the asparagus charged!"
  •  

DriftingCrow

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on May 12, 2013, 10:54:31 PM
We're perfect for asparagus, it needs winter so it can die and send up new shoots.

Tip: Wal-Mart sells eight crowns for five dollars. Every year some of them go on clearance sale for two bucks. (I want my two dollars!) I'm a cheapskate, so I wait.

Disclaimer: Asparagus wants a big, big hole in the ground filled with manure and compost. It won't produce edible asparagus the first year (if you pick first year shoots you set the plant back) but can be picked lightly the second year.It will last decades, but shouldn't be moved, the roots are extensive but extemely fragile.

Confession: Yes, I'm a green thumb.

I bought my asparagus from Wal-Mart yay! Going to try to plant them tomorrow.  ;D If I see some on sale later on, I'll get some more. I think I am going to plant one of them crowns in a big pot though, because I am not staying where I am living now for more than another year or two. I'll see how one does in a pot.  :D
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

Devlyn

•  

Erik Ezrin

Wow, awesome!
I love asparagus! I have never had the green ones tho'. Always the whites.
What's the difference in taste?

And are they hard to grow yourself? I'd love to have my own patch of asparagus some day :)
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not" -Kurt Cobain

My fb art page; https://www.facebook.com/BellaKohlerArt
My DA art page; http://asrath.deviantart.com/
  •  

DriftingCrow

Decided not to plant them today, we're going to build a raised bed with some extra 2x4s.

I've only had the white once Erik, I can't remember if it tasted different from the green.
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

Devlyn

Ah, my aspiring asparagus aficionados!

I've never had the white, I assume it's just blanched (protected from light).
  •