Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Pre-Columbian Art

Started by Puggal, February 12, 2013, 08:06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puggal

Hi everyone,

I am an art historian and a pretty avid Mesoamericanist (someone who is really interested in Pre-Columbian Mexico). I really like old Mexican art, in other words.

I really love this site called Mesoweb, which compiles academic articles on Mesoamerican culture and art. It also has a link to some highlights from Museo Nacional de Antropología (National Museum of Anthropology, in Mexico City), and some other cool features. If you have any interest in Pre-Columbian art it's a good place to gain some initial exposure.  :)

http://www.mesoweb.com/features/jpl/index.html

Have a nice day,
Deb
  •  

Xgrrl

Ooh I visited El Museo in 2002, spent hours in each galería. I highly recommend it too.
  •  

Brightest After Dawn

Do they also have any Incan art? I used to be really fascinated by mesoamerican civilizations as well, including the Incas.
  •  

Xgrrl

Hola Brightest... I don't think they have Incan art.

Sorry to be picky... but the Incan Empire stretched through what is now Chile, Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador, Argentina, and Columbia and is not included as part of Mesoamerica.

Mesoamerica is the geographical region between what is now Mexico down to Costa Rica.

I studied the Aztec and Incan empires and am fascinated by Precolumbian ruins.
So far I have visited Monte Albán, Teotihuacán, Mitla, Copán, Tikal, Cacaxtla, Motúl, Machu Picchu, Tazumal, San Andrés and Joya de Cerén.  Next on my list are Chichen Itza, palenque and El Mirador... I can't get enough!
  •  

Sara Thomas

If you're ever in San Antonio, The San Antonio Museum Of Art has some wonderful Pre-Columbian art in it's collection (in addition to many other cultural exhibits... they are a bit like an art history museum that spans into the present, with special, traveling, exhibits - the last time I was there [Oct. 2011], 'Jade' was the featured exhibit).
I ain't scared... I just don't want to mess up my hair.
  •  

Nero

Bookmarked! I love Prcolumbian Art. Thank you Puggal.  :)
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

Brightest After Dawn

Quote from: Xgrrl on March 17, 2013, 09:16:29 AM
Hola Brightest... I don't think they have Incan art.

Sorry to be picky... but the Incan Empire stretched through what is now Chile, Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador, Argentina, and Columbia and is not included as part of Mesoamerica.

Mesoamerica is the geographical region between what is now Mexico down to Costa Rica.

I studied the Aztec and Incan empires and am fascinated by Precolumbian ruins.
So far I have visited Monte Albán, Teotihuacán, Mitla, Copán, Tikal, Cacaxtla, Motúl, Machu Picchu, Tazumal, San Andrés and Joya de Cerén.  Next on my list are Chichen Itza, palenque and El Mirador... I can't get enough!

Hehe, I salute you; I've been outnerded.  ;)
  •  

Xgrrl

Me a nerd????? Hmm..... :o Perhaps... :P
  •