Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Canada?

Started by jonjon, February 25, 2013, 03:03:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonjon

Wasn't really sure where to put this. I think this would be the right place.

My bf has expressed a desire to emigrate to Canada perhaps in a few years. I most likely will have completed all surgery before then, but what is the health care system like there in regards to transition and after care?
Please check out my vampire novel project!

https://www.facebook.com/thickerthanbloodproject?ref=bookmarks

Please like, follow, share and support! :D
  •  

Anatta

Kia Ora Jonjon,

I'm not Canadian but I know that in most parts of  Canada they have fairly good health care systems for trans-people, check out the link for the Vancouver area , or you could just google "Transgender Heath Care In Canada" ....

No doubt Canadian members when they see your thread will provide more information....

http://transhealth.vch.ca/

Metta Zenda :)
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

Darkflame

The medical system is pretty good to us up here. I can only speak for Ontario, but if you live in the GTA there are great resources. SRS is a provided procedure under OHIP (if you did choose to have it here), there's access to HRT, though the waits can be long, there is a directory for LGBT positive doctors (http://www.rainbowhealthontario.ca/lgbtHealth/find.cfm) and there are great group and individual counselling resources, the best ones being at Sherbourne (http://www.sherbourne.on.ca/programs/programs.html) and the 519 (http://www.the519.org/programsservices/transprograms)
If I let where I'm from burn I can never return

"May those who accept their fate find happiness, those who defy it, glory"
  •  

Mohini

I live in British Columbia, and am 100% Canadian, lol.

SRS is provided and subsidised by our medical system here, for both transmen and transwomen, so you would need not to worry if you ever decide to move here!

In British Columbia, being transgender or transsexual is quite decent here. You will get your phobic people here and there, but in terms of medical care, it should be quite easy to get trans-friendly healthcare in the transitioning process and after SRS!
  •  

jfong

I live in British Columbia too, but the weird thing is that  if you want to get support from transhealth in downtown Vancouver, u'll have to live within the boundary of the municipality that they served. I lived just 1 block east of the boundary (still within metro Vancouver) and was not eligible for their services. So I had to find a psychiatrist on my own who referred me to an endo after she did her assessment on me. 
Finding trans friendly GP is also quite a challenge for me, tried to find some help from transhealth, but after knowing that I'm outside their catchment area, they can't do much.
  •  

Mohini

Quote from: jfong on March 05, 2013, 08:24:20 AM
I live in British Columbia too, but the weird thing is that  if you want to get support from transhealth in downtown Vancouver, u'll have to live within the boundary of the municipality that they served. I lived just 1 block east of the boundary (still within metro Vancouver) and was not eligible for their services. So I had to find a psychiatrist on my own who referred me to an endo after she did her assessment on me. 
Finding trans friendly GP is also quite a challenge for me, tried to find some help from transhealth, but after knowing that I'm outside their catchment area, they can't do much.

I was raised in Surrey, so it was a definite pain-in-the-butt to even get to Vancouver! I hope that there will be more services for the rest of the Lower Mainland... soon!

I know that my old doctor actually moved out of Vancouver to start a transgender practice in Kelowna! I do miss him quite a bit, but Heaven knows that people need transgender health services up there more than they do down here!
  •  

jfong

Quote from: Mohini on March 07, 2013, 11:19:20 PM
I was raised in Surrey, so it was a definite pain-in-the-butt to even get to Vancouver! I hope that there will be more services for the rest of the Lower Mainland... soon!

I know that my old doctor actually moved out of Vancouver to start a transgender practice in Kelowna! I do miss him quite a bit, but Heaven knows that people need transgender health services up there more than they do down here!

True, sometimes we didn't think enough of those who are more unfortunate than us. Thanks for reminding me of that :-)
  •  

Kelly J. P.

Quote from: Sita on March 07, 2013, 11:19:20 PM

That's interesting.

I spend a lot of time in Kelowna - perhaps you could provide specific information on this doctor? It's always good to know as many people as you can.

There isn't much in Kelowna, but there's enough - barely, but enough.
  •  

Mohini

I believe his name is Dr. Corneil.

I missed him a lot. He would come into the medical office in shorts and a Hawaiian shirt during the summer; he was always in casual dress with jeans and a t-shirt, but I remember him most for his Hawaiian shirts, lol.

He said he was going to bring his work to Kelowna; I am not sure where his new practice would be.
  •  

jfong

Actually if he's still hasn't retired yet, you can search him and find out where his new office is at cpsbc.ca since they need to be registered there.
  •  

Jayr

Not trying too discourage you or anything just being honest,
but emigrating too Canada is EXTREMELY hard.

Both you and your partner need to have skills that are needed here.
If we don't need people with your profession, chances are you won't be accepted.
If they find out you have a disability/medical condition or intend to use the free/cheap healthcare system in anyway,
they most likely will refuse you for that as well. And that includes SRS surgeries.
Sorry, I'm being honest.

The Canadian immigration doesn't play.
My girlfriend came up to visit me and when they found out she was coming too visit her boyfriend, they denied her entry.
Me, my mom and dad had too argue for over 5 hours(Not exaggerating.) before they allowed her in the country, of course not without conditions. Instead of 4 weeks with me, she was only allowed 2 weeks and they put her name onto a watch list.
Emigrating here is no joke dude.

Remember you both need too be accepted, that's twice the hassle.
Good luck though!! Maybe you and your partner will be lucky.

•  

Mohini

Quote from: Jayr on March 08, 2013, 08:52:01 AM
Not trying too discourage you or anything just being honest,
but emigrating too Canada is EXTREMELY hard.

Both you and your partner need to have skills that are needed here.
If we don't need people with your profession, chances are you won't be accepted.
If they find out you have a disability/medical condition or intend to use the free/cheap healthcare system in anyway,
they most likely will refuse you for that as well. And that includes SRS surgeries.
Sorry, I'm being honest.

The Canadian immigration doesn't play.
My girlfriend came up to visit me and when they found out she was coming too visit her boyfriend, they denied her entry.
Me, my mom and dad had too argue for over 5 hours(Not exaggerating.) before they allowed her in the country, of course not without conditions. Instead of 4 weeks with me, she was only allowed 2 weeks and they put her name onto a watch list.
Emigrating here is no joke dude.

Remember you both need too be accepted, that's twice the hassle.
Good luck though!! Maybe you and your partner will be lucky.

Unless you're Australian, yeah, I agree; it is very difficult to gain Canadian privilege, unfortunately. Every year we get plenty of immigrants, and generally entry means that you are either a) marrying a Canadian, or b) have a high quality profession, or c) you have immediate (nuclear) family here.

Unless you and your partner have either of these things, it would be quite difficult to move up here.
  •  

peky

and just to think that we have not problem allowing Canadians intp the USA
  •  

Mohini

Quote from: peky on March 09, 2013, 08:36:53 PM
and just to think that we have not problem allowing Canadians intp the USA

Oh, I've been stopped at the US border before, lol. Those people are ruthless!

But there is a big difference between visiting another country, and emigrating.
  •  

Kelly J. P.

Oh, yes, I've heard about Dr. Corneil coming up here...

That's good to know. I should probably check him out soon, mostly for information so I can refer to him as a resource and actually know what I'm talking about.

Thank you.
  •  

Mohini

I'm glad! He's a great guy, and if you ever are lucky to be under his care, whether fully or partially, he's just an all-round wonderful person!
  •  

XchristineX

I can vouch for Corneil...
Seen him many many times back when he was
On Davie street.???

Another good one is peter marr...

Very very ts friendly...

Oh crap any doctor is I'd you flirt with them
Especially if they vain like dyed hair tanned..
You know...men are men and like attention to
Play em lol
  •  

Mohini

Yeah, Dr. Corneil is pretty flaming, LOL.

:icon_mrgreen:

But that is why I felt so comfortable with him when I was under his care. :)
  •  

XxHaileyxX

Canada roxx, here in Ontario we have awesome healthcare and srs is paid for...or else it would have been harder to get it done. Try and get in, if you can you will be HAPPY :)
  •