Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Probably a dumb question ...

Started by Tiffanie, June 03, 2013, 12:41:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiffanie

I know RLE stands for Real Life Experience, but what constitutes RLE?

Here's a snippet of my story ...

- Started growing hair 4 years ago
- Had both ears pierced 3 years ago and again 2 years ago (second piercing)
- Started wearing women's clothes 2+ years ago, but mostly gender neutral styles and not trying to present as a woman
- Started wearing more feminine clothes one year ago, trying to look female much of the time
- Started laser beard removal 8 months ago
- Started hrt 3 days ago

Earlier this year I stopped hiding anything anywhere.  I am wearing nail polish, dangly earrings, I dyed my hair and wear very feminine clothes most all of the time.  The only place I do not dress up is work, and I will stay business casual even after I technically go full time. 

How much more ... or what else is required to be considered RLE??

Heather

Quote from: Tiffanie on June 03, 2013, 12:41:25 AM
I know RLE stands for Real Life Experience, but what constitutes RLE?

Here's a snippet of my story ...

- Started growing hair 4 years ago
- Had both ears pierced 3 years ago and again 2 years ago (second piercing)
- Started wearing women's clothes 2+ years ago, but mostly gender neutral styles and not trying to present as a woman
- Started wearing more feminine clothes one year ago, trying to look female much of the time
- Started laser beard removal 8 months ago
- Started hrt 3 days ago

Earlier this year I stopped hiding anything anywhere.  I am wearing nail polish, dangly earrings, I dyed my hair and wear very feminine clothes most all of the time.  The only place I do not dress up is work, and I will stay business casual even after I technically go full time. 

How much more ... or what else is required to be considered RLE??
I haven't started RLE yet but I believe it means living completely in your new gender for a year I think. It could be longer but I know for a fact you have to be fulltime even at work. I hope that answers your question. :)
  •  

vegie271

Here is the reference here, I think you count from the time you go full time actually. it also say usually you need to get ID changed

https://www.susans.org/wiki/Real_life_experience

•  

Tiffanie

Yes, mostly answers the question.

I'm not pretending anything I have done qualifies as RLE, but it is building up to it.  I was curious about certain aspects ... but right now my Ambien is starting to work, so I will not babble incoherently.

Thank you for your answer.

Cindy

RLE varies a bit from place to place and some people have horror of it. People worry as to whether it is pre or post hormone or whatever.

The  concept of RLE is probably good but the practice is often poor.

Essentially You must live in your 'chosen' gender for a period usually a minimum of 12 months. That you must be adequately functional in work, volunteer role or study for a minimum period, again often 12 months.

If you look upon it as a positive for yourself, rather than some 'gate-keeper' strategy, use it to find if you like being your gender, if you fit as your gender and you can happily function as your gender. Find and define the problems you have and get the therapist to help you overcome those problems. And of course people here as well.

The problems do exist. There are woman here (and men but I'll refer to woman) who on their avatars pass with flying colours as their gender, but express dismay that they do not present well. They often suggest they are having problems living as their gender in some way. There are others, and I will include myself here, who will never pass as their physical gender, but who have absolutely no problems in fitting in society, at any level, as their gender.

I can and do lecture to 3-400 students as me and I have no problems whatsoever in passing as me, and then there are totally feminine women here who worry about going to the store in case they don't pass.

For me RLE taught me how to cope with that. It was a time to practice and learn.

Enjoy and remember to have fun!!

Cindy
  •  

Tiffanie

Thank you Cindy  ;D

I was not able to express myself well last night due to being tired and the Ambien.  I am not a "girly girl."  I doubt I will ever wear a dress or skirt (ok ... maybe a couple times ;) ) or anything else ultra feminine.  At work I've moved from mostly masculine in appearance and demeanor to relatively feminine in both areas.  It has been a very slow move in that direction, but I reached a place where I feel I am definitely expressing a female persona.  I do dress a bit more girly when my wife and I go out and while at home.

I see myself in a year ... in 2 years being very much the same.  Relatively unisex casual work attire and slightly more feminine clothes when I go out.  I am not trying to shortcut the system, nor am I trying to make my steps out to be more than they are, but I have a few friends on other sites that have had a psychologist agree that certain steps do count as RLE, even if not specifically undergoing treatment at the time.

Again, thank you all for your responses <3

vegie271

One need not wear a dress or be "girly" to be female. I have been quite butch at times and passed quite well. I even help quite a few friends with their cars mechanically. I live as a lesbian and it works out for me. Many women live without ever wearing dresses or makeup.

•  

Michelle S.

RLE is about living full-time as whoever you feel you are. From everything I know, the main purpose of non-stop RLE is to allow us the time to transition into ourselves socially and build confidence in who we are. It's a test to see if you have any regrets before the big step. Sort of like a fail safe. I think it's very important because there are some people who jump head first into everything and later regret it.

So I guess the moment you start openly and totally living as you is when RLE begins. That's my take on it at least.

•  

Tiffanie

I so appreciate everyone's input  ;D

Surgery would likely be years in the future, so I am not trying to get a head start.  My transition has taken years to get to HRT ... I am taking my time and enjoying each step ... or being petrified, gaining confidence, then enjoying each step.  Finding my true self has made all aspects of my life better.