Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Paying for laser

Started by Hikari, May 20, 2013, 08:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hikari

I have been looking for professional laser to do much larger amounts of hair removal than I have hitherto done, one of the things I have noticed is that the price seems to vary a great bit from place to place, and then looking into it more it seems there are a great deal of coupons out there.

Has anyone here ever paid for their laser with groupon, living social, amazon local, etc? Like it seems almost too good to be true with the rates that these sites offer, though I notice the coverage area is limited, however it seems easy enough to buy a treatment at one place for one area at a super discounted price and then simply use a groupon for a different place for a different area to avoid paying full price.

Also, I have the cash up front to pay for prepaid packaged, even without groupon, but in the past I only paid per session because I didn't have as much cash on hand then as I do now, Is there any reason not to buy a prepaid package now that I can?
私は女の子 です!My Blog - Hikari's Transition Log http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/board,377.0.html
  •  

RedFox

I bought laser treatments through a livingsocial deal.  Ended up being nearly 50% off.  When I walked in I told them I actually wanted more done and they honored the same discount rate.  I paid upfront for face and front of neck.  Before the second treatment I added the back of neck and underarms for the same discounted rate.  I've been pretty happy so far.

While the two treatments I've had haven't stopped the hair growth or caused any hair to "fall-out" like some people claim, it has noticeably slowed the growth already.  Hopefully after the sixth session I'll only need a little electrolysis to do clean-up.

•  

JessicaH

I bought a 6 session package through groupon for full face and neck, in the Dallas area for $250.   I have been super thrilled with it and have had dramatic reduction after 3 sessions.  Just double check what kind of laser is involved and that it IS NOT an IPL.  IPL doesn't work well for us so it will likely be a waste of time and money.

Do your research on the different lasers and make sure they don't tell you that the best one for YOU, is the only type they happen to have.  My clinic has 3 different types and they choose the Candella Gentlase on me and I have been happy. 

I did have a break between sessions and bought a single session (#4 for me) while in Johannesburg and they said the diode laser would work better. It did an AWESOME job and I hardly have any regrowth after 60 days but Mother****** it hurt!!!  Every zap was like getting shot with a BB gun at point blank and the coverage of the laser was much smaller so it took 45 minutes instead of ten minutes and MANY more zaps and I felt like I had a sunburn for two days afterward which I didn't get with the other laser.

I suggest signing up for the groupon and living social daily emails and look at them every day. I see a pretty decent deal in the Dallas area every few weeks.
  •  

Hikari

Awesome I was worried that the deals at groupon and living social were too good to be true, just wanted to be sure that it was legit.

The prospect of saving that money means more clothes for me :)
私は女の子 です!My Blog - Hikari's Transition Log http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/board,377.0.html
  •  

RedFox

I just hope you don't have the problem I have.  I'm a redhead.  90% of the places that offered groupon or livingsocial deals didn't have a laser that would work on my hair.  The one place I did finally find was still expensive after the deal.  Cost me $1000 for six sessions on face and neck.

•  

Hikari

Quote from: RedFox on May 21, 2013, 08:49:50 PM
I just hope you don't have the problem I have.  I'm a redhead.  90% of the places that offered groupon or livingsocial deals didn't have a laser that would work on my hair.  The one place I did finally find was still expensive after the deal.  Cost me $1000 for six sessions on face and neck.
I am lucky in that while i have pale skin and blue eyes, my hair is a reasonably dark shade of brown.

I do however have lighter hairs on parts of my body, so i do have to wonder was laser effective on your hair? Some of my local places do show golden and red hairs in thier capability but those places seem to more expensive.

•  

Elle16

I'm looking into laser hair removal in UK. I'm going for a test in 2 weeks to see whether or not it'll be ok to go ahead. Ive been quoted £180 (£30 per session) to do my top lip, which is the area I hate the most. I'm looking forward to it but nervous at the same time - plucking and hair removal creams just don't do anything for me now...

I'll still need to shave my nack and sideburns but I hopw to get them done too. To be hair free on my upper lip will be amazing :)
  •  

MightyMinx

I haven't had much success using the Groupon / Living Social approach. I ended up at two clinics where I was treated very poorly, and the treatments themselves were ineffective.

My therapist recommended another place in town that she sends many of her trans* patients to. I have been very happy with the experience and results I've had from there, but the price is much higher than the special discounts I was getting on Groupon.  Sometimes, you get what you pay for!
  •  

JessicaH

Quote from: MightyMinx on May 22, 2013, 01:44:41 PM
I haven't had much success using the Groupon / Living Social approach. I ended up at two clinics where I was treated very poorly, and the treatments themselves were ineffective.

My therapist recommended another place in town that she sends many of her trans* patients to. I have been very happy with the experience and results I've had from there, but the price is much higher than the special discounts I was getting on Groupon.  Sometimes, you get what you pay for!

I highly recommend researching the clinic before buying a Groupon or similar deal.  They always have a link to what clinic it is so look at their website and or call them to find out what lasers they have and ask questions.  This is advertising for the clinic and their hope is to keep you as a client. If you receive poor treatment ask the owner/manager why they spend the money to do this kind of advertising, only to turn people away and loose their investment? Also, tip the technician when you go (10-$15) and they will really like you and maybe throw in a little extra.
  •  

RedFox

Quote from: Hikari on May 22, 2013, 06:02:25 AM
I am lucky in that while i have pale skin and blue eyes, my hair is a reasonably dark shade of brown.

I do however have lighter hairs on parts of my body, so i do have to wonder was laser effective on your hair? Some of my local places do show golden and red hairs in thier capability but those places seem to more expensive.

Most of my body hair is pretty light - golden blondish/red.  The areas I'm getting worked are actually much darker and thicker hairs.  As for how its working?  I still have to shave - but it probably grows about half as quickly as it used to.  Next week will be my third treatment and I'm hoping for even better results.

•  

Elle16

Is it really true that laser won't remove all my facial hair above the lip?

I've got to get ridd of this somehow - I hate shaving my face as it's sore and bumpy...

£180 isn't cheap to me, but if it gives me enough confidence to go out and show the world the real me then I'd happily pay it! Shaving the other areas is a bother but my lip is just frustrating... it's like a constant remainder I'm a guy... this wee dark shadow lingers there even with foundation etc on... the rest of my face is very femanine looking and I'm happy about that.
  •  

Hikari

If you mean like the upper lip (the moustache area) then most places to that, if you mean like beside your nose, around your eyes, etc i could see some saftey risks.

If you are unfortunate and have hair in areas too dark or too close to your eyes there is always electrolysis for those hairs.
  •