Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Electrolysis: how to avoid skin damage and scarring?

Started by Snusnu, June 03, 2013, 05:11:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snusnu

I naturally have very few facial hair so I thought electrolysis treatments should be easy on me.
My tech seems to be nice and knowledgeable, and well experienced too. She's using the blend.
My face is still all scabbed and inflamed for almost a week after each treatment (Can't show my face outside for the whole week), and today I've noticed a little scar on my upper lip :icon_cry2:

Is she doing it wrong? How do I choose a different tech?
What do I do to reduce the chances of scarring and make my skin heal faster? Scars is my worst nightmare...

•  

JennX

Unfortunately it comes down to trial and error. Some people do have skin that is more sensitive and susceptible to scarring. If done properly, no scarring should occur... Or be very in frequent at worst. The main points to remember are the tech needs to properly insert the needle to the correct depth. Inserting the needle to shallow is usually what causes scarring as the tip of the needle is the hottest part and if not deep enough in to the tissue, it just burn the top outer layer of the skin. Which results in a scar. Also the width of the needle and angle of insertion are important. They have to match the same angle at which the hair is exiting the follicle. Electro via blend is a combination of heat via HF radio waves, and electricity from dc current which causes lye to form in the follicle via a chemical reaction. The heat part can be the most damaging if used by an inexperienced operator. After two weeks of healing, you should see little to no scarring. You can post a pic if you'd like and I'd be able to give you a better answer.

Also Destin diaper rash cream is great for helping your skin to heal and prevent scarring. Tea Tree oil works as well. However proper technique and training are the best prevention against damaging your skin.
"If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain."
-Dolly Parton
  •  

MadelineB

You can significantly reduce the inflammation from electrolysis by taking a capsule or two of over the counter diphenhydramine (benadryl in the US) between 30 min and one hour before the tratment. I also have extremely sensitive skin.
For after care, washing twice daily for a couple of days with Hibiclens or Betadyne really helps, and using pure aloe vera helps a great deal.
History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.
~Maya Angelou

Personal Blog: Madeline's B-Hive
  •