Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Tried out kitchari today - well, I am impressed :)

Started by Sammy, June 08, 2013, 06:53:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sammy

One of my female colleagues was actively promoting kitchari, so I finally decided to give it a try. For those, who do not know, it is Indian vegetarian dish, mainly consists of various seeds, lents, rice, vegetables. Apart of them - anything else You have in the fridge and spices, of course. It is very simple to cook, quite cost-effective - it turned out, we will be having it for two days and there will be still something left to take with me, when I go to job next Monday :) It might be perfect during HRT regimen, as it contains a lot of good fats and zero animal proteins. Another pro - it tastes good, if You are into spicy exotics.
I can share the recipe, if anyone wishes, but there is a lot of them already on the internets, except that I went for a very simple and fast one :)
  •  

Jamie D

I have had this at an Indian restaurant.  It is quite good.

The one I had seemed a lot like this one:

http://sanfranshakti.com/recipe-creamy-coconut-kitchari/

•  

Sammy

What I like the most about kitchari is that as long as You stick to the base - seeds, rice, lents - the rest is pretty much adaptable depending on Your personal preferences or stuff currently available in Your fridge ;). Lots of possibilities for creative improvisation - the approach which I adore when I do cooking :).
The one I made had sunflower and pumpkin seeds, carrots, brocoli, green peas, legume beans. I also used a bit of curry and masala.
  •  

Cindy

•  

big kim

•  

Sammy

Well, what I did was not exactly "by the book" and I sort of did not pay much attention to proportions and we ended with eating it for three days three times per day lol.

Basically, I started with pouring warm water over the bowl full with basmati rice, and red and green lents. My mistake was that I took too much of rice, in fact, lents should be in majority. I would say a cup of rice, and three cups of lents (1,5 of orange and 1,5 cup of green), but really the choice of lents does not matter much :). Leave them for an hour there.
Then I splashed a bit of olive oil on the sautoir pan (I did almost everything in the same pan), added a handful of cummin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesam seeds and pumpkin seeds and fried them until all oil was gone.
Now we need to choose the vegetables and fry them a bit too - this is the only time when I would actually use another pan - I did it on the same, but that was a bit of mistake  - it did not spoil anything, but, nevertheless :P.
You can even use frozen vegetables, by the way. So, the same - olive oil or something better and fry them either a bit or until they get crispy. I used some potate slices (they make the whole dish a bit more mushy), grated carrots, brocoli, legume beans, peas. I did not use fresh ginger or onion, but they should be fitting there nice too.
So, at this stage there are two choices to be made:
1. Either the vegetables are fried till crispy and added at the end.
2. Or we just fry them a tiny bit and add into the main dish so they basically end up being steamed.

I went with the latter option.

So now, we have fried seeds on the sautoir pan - just pour risen rice and lents on top of them, add boiled water - they usually say four cups, but You have to see Your proportions and anyway, I noticed that 4 cups is never enough - You would have to add water during the course of time. Put it on small fire, add salt, pepper, scented pepper, masala, curry, bay-leefs, close the lid and let it stew for a while. After 10-15 minutes, add the fried vegetables and proceed with stewing. The whole process took me about an hour, but I was doing it for the first time and a bit overdid it :). So, depending how much You have there, it should steam  for about 40 - 50 mins, together with vegetables.
I saw several recipes where You add fresh leaves and other greenery on top of it, but I only had dills and chives - still worked fine for me :).

So just stick with the basics, use the common sense and improvise :). There are not many bad things which can be done wrong to steamed rice and lents :) The most important thing is to check water ofter, because it really tended to evaporate pretty fast, even with closed lid.
  •  

Catalina

I love kitchari in small doses! I generally think of kitchari as either breakfast food, or sick people food, LOL. But my ex-boyfriend loved calling himself a 'Kitchari King' because it was one dish he could be proud of!

Kitchari is a one-pot meal that really consists of boiling half rice and half lentils, some oil, veggies, and your basic spice mix (generally cumin, coriander, a pinch of tumeric, chili powder and garlic powder or fenugreek leaves are always a nicety). And once it's reached a porridgey form in about an hour, it is ready to eat with a bowl and spoon!

The people I knew who ate kitchari called it 'yogi food' because it contains your essential nutrients, quite low fat and protein high meal. The chili that you put in it will help digestion in the stomach!

Eat well, and God bless!  ;)
"Live fully, love wastefully, and be all that you can be."
-- Bishop Spong
  •