Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

SRS without therapists

Started by Nov413, July 08, 2013, 12:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nov413

So my school's insurance will soon start covering reassignment, which means it'll be super cheap. Anyway, I finally looked into it with serious intent to find a doctor or something, but soon came into some requirement for one year of therapy and two referrals from professionals. Since I started HRT without any therapist and have been greatly satisfied, this really caught me by surprise. I really don't mind waiting another year, but the insurance probably won't cover that, meaning it'll be even more expensive.

Considering how I have absolutely no regrets with my transition and living full time for more than a year, it seems rather unnecessary to waste time and money on a therapist, at any time, actually.

So my question is if there's anyway around that requirement, as with HRT. 
"Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air." - John Adams
  •  

xchristine

Verify you are on hrt for a year
Verify you live in opposite gender role fpe a year

Contact psychiatrist who does gender identity
Make meeting tell hom what you want and your
Ready for assessment ...

And it will be faster...
  •  

JennX

Good luck with that. I was FT 24/7 4 years before therapy, HRT, or SRS. None of the "reputable and well known" US or Thai surgeons I considered will bypass the WPATH rules. And honestly, if they did I would probably question why. Play the game and play to win. Simple. All good things to those who wait.
"If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain."
-Dolly Parton
  •  

Joanna Dark

I feel ya. I'm full time, have no regrets and dont see a therapist but i have to get on that as there really is no way around it...well no way around it i would want to go.
  •  

xchristine

Oh maybe I am in therapy ..
My idea which ibwas going to do is this

See psychiatrist once a month during rle
See psychologist once a month during rle

Wastold to come every three months and talk
To psychiatrist.
Is that therapy?? Coz wr had so much fun..
Wasn't always all so serious ...

And was told after year is up get assesment

Was expecting to be looked over by scientist in
White lab coats with head lamps...and
Written test after test..

Again...maybe I was and I just didn't notice
And I have seen two diffewnt psychiatrists
To date ..

I'm so confused ..I'll just to for the ride and hang
On tight LOL
  •  

Tristan

You can do it without a shrink first.
  •  

Randi

I agree, there are ways to short-circuit the process.  Documentation is usually required, but that can be quickly obtained. Many doctors have a qualified psychiatrist (or two) that they work with.  This is something no one wants to talk about, but it happens, both in Thailand and the U.S. 

Quote from: Tristan on July 08, 2013, 05:15:25 PM
You can do it without a shrink first.
  •  

Ltl89

To the best of my knowledge, this isn't really possible if you want to use a surgeon worth operating on you.  I'm sure you can find someone, but it probably isn't that safe.  At the end of the day, I wouldn't risk your health over something like this.  Just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be.  But it's up to you as it is your body.  I just hope you make the best decision for you.
  •  

JennX

Quote from: Randi on July 08, 2013, 07:10:39 PM
I agree, there are ways to short-circuit the process.  Documentation is usually required, but that can be quickly obtained. Many doctors have a qualified psychiatrist (or two) that they work with.  This is something no one wants to talk about, but it happens, both in Thailand and the U.S. 

There are most definitely surgeons that will do it... but I don't want them doing it to me. Caveat emptor. Do your research and you'll find out who the surgeons are that skirt the rules and others who do not. You also find a direct correlation with well respected surgeons with a good track record and others who are so-so at best. The big name docs have earned their reputation for a reason... and it was not by taking short cuts.
"If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain."
-Dolly Parton
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: Nov413 on July 08, 2013, 12:24:26 AM
So my school's insurance will soon start covering reassignment, which means it'll be super cheap. Anyway, I finally looked into it with serious intent to find a doctor or something, but soon came into some requirement for one year of therapy and two referrals from professionals. Since I started HRT without any therapist and have been greatly satisfied, this really caught me by surprise. I really don't mind waiting another year, but the insurance probably won't cover that, meaning it'll be even more expensive.

Considering how I have absolutely no regrets with my transition and living full time for more than a year, it seems rather unnecessary to waste time and money on a therapist, at any time, actually.

So my question is if there's anyway around that requirement, as with HRT.

There is a list of surgeons on this page: https://www.susans.org/wiki/Gender_reassignment_surgery_(male-to-female)

Our members are eager to help, but are not in any position to answer for these doctors. You will have to contact them yourself. Good luck, hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Nov413

Thanks. I guess I'll try to play by their rules.
I'm just so reluctant with therapists since most of my friends haven't had good experiences. But I'll entertain the therapist for the time needed, if it's covered.
"Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air." - John Adams
  •  

Tristan

If one person hypothetically needed this I would say email me. If I did know about this I would say that quite a few top surgeons will still be easy to have srs with. ;)
I'm just sayin
  •  

milktea

@tristan: you nailed it lol
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
I have a post-op recovery blog now...yeah!
  •  

Tristan

Quote from: milktea on July 09, 2013, 06:32:03 AM
@tristan: you nailed it lol
Hey I'm just sayin...
Hypothetically of course .....
  •  

xchristine

I'm confused...my blond is showing  again!!!

Tristan I think I know what your saying but unsure coz
I can accidentky take it wrong context..

All I know is I was asked tj see a shrink every three months
Or u can go full time and have government assesment to
Have brassard paid for ..

I don't know....I need  clarification
  •  

LizMarie

If you have been on HRT for one year or more and full time for one year or more, many therapists will simply refer you with one or two visits.
The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.

~ Cara Elizabeth
  •  

xchristine

Yes that's what I understand ...
Plus being in a gender health program really helps
As rehy usually have a comlete team
Doctor endo psychiatrist ..Transhealth
Okanagon Transhealth in northern British Columbia

And that is hasicamy what they told me..
Also its stated on the Transhealth web pages
About getting gov funded...2 years full time
Then get assessed
  •