Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Could I be Intersex

Started by misschievous, June 11, 2013, 04:41:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

misschievous

Quote from: milktea on June 14, 2013, 10:19:09 AM
and what exactly does it explain? if you have a perfectly 'normal' penis or vagina you are not intersexed. if you desire to live in the gender opposite to what you were assigned you are trans. very clear concepts. now somehow you are motivated to be IS, by expanding the definitions or whatever, i suspect just to justify what you mentally desire?? now why would anyone need to justify how they feel?? and the biggest catch -- being IS doesn't really explain anything...your physical form doesn't necessarily need to conform to your gender or sexuality right..?
personally i find this lame...too often i see a trans who think she's IS, who think she's gay/bisexual, etc. i mean honestly do you need to be everything to be happy?

I didn't say it explains thoughts I had. I said it would help explain things in my life.

I am not trying to make excuses for being TG I am not saying it would be better to be IS than TG. I am not Saying I might be gay bisexual ect because I am TG. Being TG has nothing to do with why I wonder.
:icon_lips:

"Hands and Feet are all Alike, but Fear still Divides Us."

"Cry Freedom"
                                                                       DMB
  •  

JLT1

According to one version of my birth, my mother and father were married for seven years, most of which time they spent desperately trying to have a child.  When my mother found herself pregnant and with my father being in the US Air Force, she traveled from Indiana with my Grandparents to Minnesota, where they could help take care of her.  There were complications and I had to be taken to the nearest big town (Fargo ND).  When we both got out of the hospital, my mother carried me to my Grandparents, put me down and left, never to be seen again.... I do not know that this is true.  My wife, who knows all that I do, believes it whole heartedly and says I'm just in denial. 
Some people would have a driving need to confirm this as fact and to meet their mother.  Who would not want to know their biological mother?  I do not understand that need.  She left me, why do I want to find someone who obviously doesn't want to ever see me?  I know and love the woman who raised me.  However, I accept that there are those out there who would need to know about the biological mother issue.  My wife seems to be one of them and keeps pushing me to go and meet her.
To me, given current physical problems, which may be related to an intersexed condition, it is far more important to understand what happened that caused them to drive 90+ miles to Fargo than to find someone who left me.  I need to understand the surgery that happened when I was just under two years of age.   I need to know why I have a scar to the left of my penis extending four inches above and paralleling the abs.  I have been genetically male all my life but something is very wrong and it is painful.
I am transgender; I may or may not be intersexed.  Even if I were not having problems, I would want to know if I were intersexed.  However, knowing will not change my desire to transition. Knowing does not give me an excuse to transition, it does not make transition easier nor does knowing add legitimacy to my transition; it simply fills in blanks about my life and who I am.  It's part of my psychological and physical make-up.

(Misschievous)  I understand your need and questions about traveling to another place to be born.  I didn't mention this earlier because I was afraid it might add to your concern.  Besides, I still don't know why I was born in Fargo. I'm sorry...  I found a lot of answers, most of which hurt.  I wish I didn't know all that I know...
:embarrassed: :'(
To move forward is to leave behind that which has become dear. It is a call into the wild, into becoming someone currently unknown to us. For most, it is a call too frightening and too challenging to heed. For some, it is a call to be more than we were capable of being, both now and in the future.
  •  

Jess42

misschievous, like I said before, I really understand the questions. I looked for physical reasons behing it and couldn't find any, then I looked for psychological reasons and couldn't find any there either. Normal childhood, parents divorced when I was 14 which to me was a lot better than the fighting, no abuse verbal of physical, nothing other than the feeling of wanting a pink blanket instead of blue since I can remember. Sometimes there's no reason other than just being.
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: milktea on June 14, 2013, 10:19:09 AM
and what exactly does it explain? if you have a perfectly 'normal' penis or vagina you are not intersexed. if you desire to live in the gender opposite to what you were assigned you are trans. very clear concepts. now somehow you are motivated to be IS, by expanding the definitions or whatever, i suspect just to justify what you mentally desire?? now why would anyone need to justify how they feel?? and the biggest catch -- being IS doesn't really explain anything...your physical form doesn't necessarily need to conform to your gender or sexuality right..?
personally i find this lame...too often i see a trans who think she's IS, who think she's gay/bisexual, etc. i mean honestly do you need to be everything to be happy?

The highlighted passage, above represents an old, narrow definition of intersex, more along the old term, "hermaphrodite."  It is based purely on appearance.  A broader definition includes genetic anomalies.

Let's go back to AIS. I think many people would consider androgen insensitivity syndrome (AIS) to be an intersex condition (it is caused by an androgen receptor mutation).  The ISNA lists it as an intersex condition.  A person afflicted with with complete AIS is phenotypically female, though possessing the 46,xy karyotype type.  A person with mild AIS may very well possess normal-appearing genitalia, but otherwise evidence undermasculinization.  Like those with XXY syndrome or Klinefelters, the person with MAIS may present with gynecomastia, little body hair, may be infertile, and have a high-pitched voice.

That's just one example of dozens of conditions that don't necessarily cause ambiguous genitalia.
  •  

milktea

not really...cais doesn't get anything above the cervix. the vagina ends in a blind end.
mild ais is graded but all involve some sort of anomaly of the genitals...
that said, the word 'intersex' has no medical meaning per se, so you are free to define it however you want. but i personally find the idea of including the desire to transition into IS kind of lame...
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
I have a post-op recovery blog now...yeah!
  •