Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Introduction - Aka Wow I actually am putting this in words...

Started by lolife, June 26, 2013, 08:55:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lolife

This really the first time that I've sat down and attempted to write out my thoughts on my gender.  My sexuality is pretty straight forward – I am attracted to people and their personalities, though if I am honest, I am more attracted to the male body than the female but there is attraction to both physicalities.  Forgive the word vomit – will attempt to edit.  My SO's current exploration has given me the impetus to think about this for myself. 

Gender-wise I never felt one or the other.  I never felt like a "tomboy".  A "tomboy" was a girl playing at being a boy – I just was part boy.  I was closer to my father, so I wanted to be like him.  I wanted to be strong and tall and protect people who needed it.  I played baseball (badly).  At my mother's insistence I did dance class and majorettes (which was also known as hit people with a baton) and whatnot, but we also did Shaolin (kung-fu).  I hated having to put make up on for dance class and my mother would always say that I would enjoy it more when I was older.  Sometimes I like how I look, but most of the time I feel like I "didn't do it correctly so I don't bother." I never really felt "like a girl".  Most of my friends were male; we did "boy" things, like playing in the mud, the creek, and going hiking.  I didn't really play with dolls; I was more into Lincoln Logs and Legos and building things.  I developed early (10 y/o-5th grade) so I lost a lot of my friends as I was now a "girl" and was "gross" even though I still wanted to do all the fun things that me and my friends used to do. That... rather sucked.  I never paid much attention to my "feminine appearance" in HS.  I wore a lot of masculine clothing: bigger jeans, baggier shirts, and the like.  I never really felt male, but I didn't feel female either.  I don't really have a lot of curves, so I believe that added (though I do have some pretty great breasts if I say so myself) to my not particularly feeling "female".  Later in my high school time, I remember thinking – I NEED to have a suit.  A nice men's suit. I didn't want a pants-suit, or a skirt and a blazer, I wanted a SUIT.  I got one.  Grey pinstripe and amazing.  (Still have it).  I also remember going to Kohl's to pick out a snazzy red tie.  Then my mother's boyfriend taught me how to tie it.  I remember looking in the mirror and just feeling incredibly badass and like something fit.  Way more than I had in any dresses that I'd worn (to prom or dances).  One of my proudest moments was when he looked at me and said "nice job".  He was a little weirded out, but managed to admit that I'd done well.

Fast forward to college and I met a guy named Ben in my English class.  He's cute.  Real cute.  We get to talking and it turns out that Ben is FtM.  He introduced me to a whole world that I was too scared to try.  We went out and got my first soft pack together.  It felt really right when I put it on.  I would wear it under jeans and pants and a lot of the times under dresses.  It wasn't a fetish thing, it just felt like "this is part of me and THIS is part of me and if I want both of them at the same time, so be it".  I ended up having to get rid of my equipment when I got into a long-term relationship due to his uncomfortableness with gender expression.  Glad to say I'm out of that relationship now. 

I feel like part of me is incredibly masculine: I can be aggressive and dirty and I'm the first to lift heavy things. :P A lot of my friends consider me a "tough chick".  But I also have some distinctly feminine vanities (mainly long hair and nails and keeping both looking very nice).  My SO feels that I express a lot more femininity than I feel.  I'm not a boy, I'm not a girl – I'm somewhere in the middle.  And whatever pieces come out at the time is what I am that day.  And I'm completely okay with it.  (Oh and as soon as I get some scratch – I'm getting a new soft pack – anyone have any suggestions as it's been years). 

I am sorry for the disjointed word vomit.  So glad this resource exists to help me and my SO on our journeys.   
-Yeah, I actually am this awesome. ;) /tongue firmly in cheek
  •  

blue

Hi! I relate to a lot of what you wrote. I felt I didn't get the gender identification part at the factory. It's not that I got the wrong part, but that I really didn't get that part at all. I'm intrigued with how cis and trans folks describe their gender identification, since it is so different!

For me gender identity is like opening up a file folder and finding it is completely empty. There's just nothing in there that tells me what to do or how to be, practically or ideally. A million million social experiences of pressure to conform have had enormous impact. But from, of, in myself I've got nothing.

When you dream, how do you dream your body and social gender?

Of our desires some are natural and necessary, others are natural but not necessary; and others are neither natural nor necessary, but are due to groundless opinion.  Epicurus

Icon image: Picasso's "The Blind Man's Meal" http://www.metmu
  •