Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Any Ideas for an Inexpensive home gym?

Started by Kendall, January 24, 2007, 10:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kendall

I went out and bought some basic items for exercising. I live too far from the city to go to a gym, so I am looking for ideas to put in my spare room for exercising (and for outside walking). So far I have some 5 pound ankle weights, step counter, jump rope, body ball, bought a set of resistance tubes(to use instead of weights) (2 short, 2 long) for a basic beginning set of workout stuff. Cost me $50 for the gear. Is there anything else basic that I am missing that isnt that expensive?

Looking for additional tips for home workout stuff.
  •  

BrandiOK

An inexpensive set of dumbells might be something to consider....a lot of great exercises you can do with them.
  •  

Cindi Jones

Step aerobics are fun.  All you need is a short box and some music.

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

Dryad

Ehm.. A canvas sack filled with dry rice and sand, and a rope to hang it on a beam..?
Makes a great punching bag, but also a very hard one.
Some thick hemp ropes are also brilliant. Just hang them on a beam, and hang from them. Pull yourself up, hang upside-down, climb... Also, having a wooden bar at the ends of the rope may prove handy.

But one of the best fitness-devices ever is:
The floor.
  •  

myles

If you cna buy hand weights buy the ones with the "twist off " ends then you can just buy weights 5 lbs at a time. This way the investment isn't huge at the beginning and you only have to buy more as you work out more and can lift a heavier weight.
Myles
"A life lived in fear is a life half lived"
  •  

Apple

I bought a motion-cycle , costed me about 100 dollar (and I have it since about two years so it´s not like low cost would mean low quality) but I guess you can get one for less money, maybe if you get a used one or something.
I can really recommend biking if you want to get in shape and train your condition. i use to take one-two hours a day biking while watching tv or videos or listening to music and find it really relaxing.
anyway, good luck with your training!
  •  

VeryGnawty

One word:  Calisthenics.

Learn your movements.  They are free, and work out the entire body.  A simple set of push-ups, rockers, crunches, and squats will work most of the major muscles in the body.
"The cake is a lie."
  •